Game-Labs Forum

PVE: Is it pointless?

Its all a mindset. I wont go into the mindset because that could demean some people.

I personally find a server of nothing but pve pointless and could not imagine anything more boring but thats me. I like the rush of blood and the sweat that comes with going up against someone with a brain and some skill that could sink me. I don't care for the sometimes bad attitudes but i just give it right back.

There is plenty ( way to much) pve to be had in the pvp servers if you wanted a mix but I see that most people want one or the other.

I have a friend that will never play any pvp games because he just cant deal with losing.....ever under any circumstances so he only fights bots.

I cant say pve is useless because it fills a need of some people who only play it but for me it is definitely useless.

I have been playing PVE ever since I first bought the game in July this year. It has took me a while to get to know everything about playing the game, without interference from other players. Maybe you may have already read some of my other posts, but I certainly wouldn't say this game is boring. It all depends which way you want to play it. I prefer doing different things every time I log on. I might decide to do a bit of action, by taking on AI Traders, for a change, then decide to take one of my own large traders and spend a few hours collecting supplies for my crafting, or selling some goods for profit at the many different ports I visit on my travels.

Another session I will do a bit of crafting, once my labour hours are looking healthy. Then I may decide to look for an epic battle somewhere and take one of my larger ships for a bit more action. There is always something to do and every session is always different each time I play. Yes I might be doing the same tasks, but I try to vary those tasks by visiting different parts of the map, or challenge a few AI Fleets for a change and try to take on ships higher rated than mine. Some you win, some you bite off more than you can chew and you loose your ship. So what I either buy or craft a replacement, I have millions worth of gold from all my fishing and trading, prize money from captured traders and all the time earning my rank XP and, keeping my gold reserves healthy. So how can one get bored? Those that do seem get bored with any game, are those that seem to tire of most things in life and expect everything to be suited to them.

I have never been on PVP and to be honest, I don't think I really want to play on PVP, from what I have read, on these forums. There seem to be a lot of discontented players out there. Apart from doing Port Battles and actually taking on real players, there doesn't seem to be much difference really. Besides that, I don't want to be set upon by a group of silly teenagers, just out for a fight, whilst I am half way through collecting resources for my warehouse back at my crafting outpost. I much prefer the peace of PVE, where I can please myself what I do, where I go, without interference from others who like me, are quite happy sailing in the OW doing their own thing and enjoying the game like most of us do, who enjoy playing in the PVE.

This game may be aimed mostly for multiplayer, but there are so many discontented players out there, that it causes friction between other players and I'm afraid I don't want to be any part of that. I have always played games on my own and if I enjoy playing a game like I do this one, then I am satisfied. It has everything I want  for this genre of game, beautifully rendered ships, and an equally beautiful environment to sail them in. Realistic sea, sky and weather and some stunning action scenes when in the battle screen. For a small team, this game is equally on par, with some of the major game studios. Yes, PVE suits my style of game play and if it were not for PVE, then I wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. 

Edited by Billy Budd
  • Like 3

Then merge the 2 PvP servers and you will only have 2 servers.

I think the issue you are missing is that a PvE does not (in most cases) pull people away from PvP.. it actually adds players who have payed for the game and helps it exist.

If you read many of the responses on this thread, you will realise that if you close the PvE server. then those players will go find something else to play.

There aren't 2 different goals for the servers..  both servers allow crafting, combat and progression..  that is what the game is for now..  PvP additionally has port conquest and is fine for those that want it.  There is no end game that is only suitable for one or the other and there is no crafting or command rank that you can achieve in one play mode versus the other.  There is no current development split that PvE is taking away from PvP OR vice versa.

Populations are low, but removing the PvE server will NOT prop up numbers on the PvP server..  it will only reduce the overall numbers playing the game.

A lot of games are starting to realise that a PvE option is a good thing because of the influx of people whos attitude make PvP a miserable experience in many ways.

You should concentrate your efforts on determining why the PvP servers are bleeding players rather than trying to kill a part of the game that some love and will leave the game if it vanishes.

That's not exactly true. If there is only one server you will play on the pvp server or not play at all. Sure some will quit, many won't. Any new game sales will further increase that number. But i'm only here out of boredom as I wait for a new download to finish. After dealing with a chat ban when I first started for trivial tripe such as using a curse word while the lead dev cursed at will you couldn't pay me to play this garbage anymore. Player chat mods abusing their positions did it in as well. Now the writings on the wall and its well deserved. This game made the same mistake POTBS did as well and that's offer multiple servers. It won't recover, there are better games on the horizon and the population will as it has continue to bleed off. An absolute waste of 40$.

Edited by Sea Nettle

Well all I can say, it's the best $40 I have spent on any game for a long time. If the game doesn't reach full development and is eventually abandoned, which I don't think it will. I will have had my monies worth. I can recall having listened to what Jeheil had to say in one of his many videos of this game, about spending this much on an alpha game. If you have only spent 40 hours playing NA, it has only cost you $1 per hour. You will spend five times that amount on a roller coaster ride at a theme park, that only last's three minutes. Those that smoke cigarettes, for every packet you smoke that's another $5 wasted. So I can't see that you wasted your money buying this game, even it you have decided to stop playing it. I hope that you don't waste another $40 dollars on your next game.

I can think of many other ways of wasting $40 but spending it on this game, has certainly given me much much more than 40 hours worth of enjoyment. and it is worth every cent, (or penny in my case). I doubt you will find a better game of this genre, if you want to play sea battles during the age of sail. 

• Like 3

That's not exactly true. If there is only one server you will play on the pvp server or not play at all. Sure some will quit, many won't. Any new game sales will further increase that number. But i'm only here out of boredom as I wait for a new download to finish. After dealing with a chat ban when I first started for trivial tripe such as using a curse word while the lead dev cursed at will you couldn't pay me to play this garbage anymore. Player chat mods abusing their positions did it in as well. Now the writings on the wall and its well deserved. This game made the same mistake POTBS did as well and that's offer multiple servers. It won't recover, there are better games on the horizon and the population will as it has continue to bleed off. An absolute waste of 40$.

I wouldn't realy worry about player numbers, as far as I am concerned the player numbers have been somewhat steady over the last couple of months and have been on average between 500 - 700 on PvP1, with peaks after a patch and drops towards the new patch. So its not exactly bleeding to death in my opinion. If the devs would realy be making terrible decisions, the game would not have survived the summer and we would indeed be forgetting about this game.

Every early acces game I ever played at some point has someone making a post that the game is bleeding to death bla bla bla... i have not seen any of these games die so far. Even Dayz, a game that got a ton of criticism and is low on updates etc... is still standing, even amongst the endless list of zombie survival games it needs to compete with.

As far as the servers go, we have one euro server, one server suited for US/AUS players and one server suited for everyone who only wants PvE.  If we would have two of each, I would say merge them, but I think with these three the devs got all bases covered for every potential player out there.

• Like 2

yeah and devs and mods kill puppies.....and sky is falling

• Like 2

Well said Balls of Steel, I think the majority of PvE players are of the older generation, where as those that prefer playing PvP are mostly the younger generation, which attracts groups of friends for multiplayer gaming. Multiplayer gaming seems to be the trend these days, but not everyone wants to get involved with Multiplayer. Every new game should always cater for both options. There is nothing wrong with solo players taking on the AI in any game, be it car racing games or any other type of game. One game that I have played for a long time now, is Silent Hunter 3, which has given me hours of pleasure just playing alone against the AI. This game still has a very strong following and even has more players than the later version of the game, Silent Hunter 5. Although SH5 is more interactive as far as being able to wander through the submarine and has much better graphics than its predecessor, it is not as realistic as SH3, which was heavily modified by the community with a brilliant Grey Wolves add on  which enhanced the game and made it more realistic. Some of you may own this game, so you will be familiar with it. As an ex submariner in my navy days, the game strongly appeals to me and I still play it occasionally.

I am hoping that this game will turn out to be as popular as the SH games, because there is a lot of potential to make this the best ever game in the age of sail. It is certainly a vast improvement on the original game "Age of Sail" now that games are much more graphically improved.

Computer games have come a long long way since the days of the Amstrad and Commodore 64 computers of old, that I remember cutting my teeth on. Who would have though back then, that we would be playing games like this half a century later. 

Anyway I am wandering way off topic here, but all I can say is, enjoy playing Naval Action the way you like to play it whether with friends on PvP or as a lone sailor on PvE, doing what you want to do, without any outside interference from other players, who get their kicks from just spoiling the game for those serious players, who like to play the game as it was intended to be played.

There is nothing clever in spoiling other peoples enjoyment in a multiplayer game. I know we don't live in a perfect world, because there are always those who get their pleasure by upsetting other people. I just hope that the majority take this game more seriously, because those that don't, are just upsetting those that do. from what I have read on this thread. If you can't play by the rules in a gentlemanly fashion, then go and play a first person shooter game, don't spoil it for others who do like to play this game as it should be played, It is those that like to upset other players, who are driving people away from the game. All I can say to those who like upsetting others. Grow up and start acting like grown ups, instead of a group of misbehaved school kids.

PvE has its good points for those who do want to play without any one else spoiling their game play. It suits me and I am quite happy to remain playing in PvE. 

im young however i prefer pve tbh i like being mean to the npcs heh

• Like 1

That's not exactly true. If there is only one server you will play on the pvp server or not play at all. Sure some will quit, many won't. Any new game sales will further increase that number. But i'm only here out of boredom as I wait for a new download to finish.

Where do you think eliminating the PvE server will only be an enhancement to the PvP server. Why would you eliminate a persons enjoyment of this game even if has nothing to do with you, the PvP server or your style of play? There is a separate server where the PvE players meet, sail and enjoy the Caribbean like everyone else but are not in your way on your server. They do not contribute to the PvP server as such and have no influence on the PvP server. So if they are not enhancing the presence of the PvP server what makes you believe that by taking away the server they love to be on will make them do something they do not want to already do? Oh yes, you said some will quit. People who enjoy this game, their way get punished because you think their form of enjoyment does not meet your standard. There are PvE players out there that will from time to time jump into the PvP experience, but it is not their first choice. They are still a minority in the PvP world and as such if they were to leave you will not see much of a change in the population of the PvP server.

Your desire to see this be a one sever game is only negated by your apparent boredom with the game. Why should any of us take you seriously when you cannot stand the game, the way about 20% of the NA population play this game and your inability to even feel the game is worth the investment you put into it..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:52 PM, Jean LaPointe said:

Where do you think eliminating the PvE server will only be an enhancement to the PvP server. Why would you eliminate a persons enjoyment of this game even if has nothing to do with you, the PvP server or your style of play? There is a separate server where the PvE players meet, sail and enjoy the Caribbean like everyone else but are not in your way on your server. They do not contribute to the PvP server as such and have no influence on the PvP server. So if they are not enhancing the presence of the PvP server what makes you believe that by taking away the server they love to be on will make them do something they do not want to already do? Oh yes, you said some will quit. People who enjoy this game, their way get punished because you think their form of enjoyment does not meet your standard. There are PvE players out there that will from time to time jump into the PvP experience, but it is not their first choice. They are still a minority in the PvP world and as such if they were to leave you will not see much of a change in the population of the PvP server.

Your desire to see this be a one sever game is only negated by your apparent boredom with the game. Why should any of us take you seriously when you cannot stand the game, the way about 20% of the NA population play this game and your inability to even feel the game is worth the investment you put into it..

You don't have to take me seriously. I, like most of the population, have moved on. Your population you have now is it. There is no wave of new people coming when you arbitrarily change the games title from alpha to beta or release.

To answer your question as to why you should be forced to play on pvp, it's so all players coming to the game are conditioned properly in understanding the nature of the game and it's focus. So that all players have endured the trials and tribulations equally for what they have earned. Without it you have the devs trying to cater to two philosophy's without the ability to handle even one. It sets a tone. And we can go right down the list of pvp games in the industry that have been pvp games who then later tried to cater to pve players only to fail in doing so.

We can start with EVE online. Once a vibrant game with a pvp outlook it began catering to the pve crowd. It now suffers it's death throes artificially boosting it's player count through free 2 play. And even that isn't working because the games pve is unteneble as a long term activity, its simply shooting at red X's that never alter their method while the protections put in place for that crowd have stifled the games pvp players to the point they moved on.

We can go way back to Ultima Online as another example. Once a vibrant pvp mmo killed off when they split the server between Trammel (pve) and Felucca (pvp). Only an idiot would refuse to farm gold from the safety of pve while then using the gold to dominate in pvp. And that's what happened. People left Felucca to farm gold in Trammel only to come back ultra equipped and gate PVP in Felucca ambushing whoever they could cheapshot. The rest of the world of Felucca was abandoned.

The list is long and extensive and I could go on for pages but I won't. To summarize, you don't deserve to captain the mightiest ships when you avoided the threat of other players. You can pve on pvp servers just fine. Special snowflakes the lot who believe they deserve their own experience. Much like SJWs demanding safe spaces on college campuses to shelter their broken logic from utter decimation in public discourse.

Edited by Sea Nettle

7 hours ago, Sea Nettle said:

"To answer your question as to why you should be forced to play on pvp,"

Ignoring the rest of this very ranty insulting post this is where the point is missed. People can't be forced to do anything. They just walk away. 

If the server is left separate, which I prefer, then those that don't like PVP have a place and a gorgeous space it is...quite beautiful.  If they are combined on the one server with a PVE area they still have a place but exploration (major fun on PVE) won't be as good. If there is no PVE space those that prefer this will walk away. 

The thing I don't understand is why we are getting PVP players insulting PVE players after all this time. Please don't answer the question. It always says more about the insulter than the insulted. 

Edited by SeaMist

18 hours ago, Hodo said:

I removed all of the hot air from that post to cut it down to all you had to say. 

And all I have to say is, while I agree that PVE server should go away, along with one of the PVP servers.  But I feel you could have just gone away quietly without saying anything like so many before you.   So go off to what ever f2p MOBA or arena based PVP game you have found for cheap on STEAM you locust and let those of us who care continue to work with this game.

With the low pop right now one server does make since.  I mean when we had the high pop they split the EU server up cause every one was waiting in ques to get on.  Some blaamed it was cause to many US players where on it.   If they where to go to one server they need to get it to a better reliable location for majority of the players.  Never understood why they dropped the Pacific ocean optoin for the PvE's.  They never promised a whole game for them, so this will fill that void that some want.  It will also mean they don't have to spread there resources out so much like they all ready have.  It's a very small Dev team and they should be working on the core things of the game for now.  Later on when it moves on to BETA or even live than open up more servers for people to play on and maybe even a PvE only one.  We keep forgetting we are here to test this game and give feed back.   Right now the player base is so low and we aren't doing much in that part of testing the game.   PvP2 and PvE all ready feels like the redheaded step childs as we get ignored all the time when they do stuff on PvP1 that we aren't included cause we don't have the Community Resource backing our servers like the larger PvP1 does.  I mean honestly when was the last time any one seen a mod or even Dev (Ink when the US server was having connection issues) on PvP2 or even PvE?   We don't even get mods for our own servers.  Why exactly is that so?  The only in game mods and forum mods are all from PvP1?

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

To true. 

Or the other point to make, when the PVP1 server went down, they gave out Bucentaurs to everyone.   When the game was down as a whole they gave out gunships.  When PVP2US went down they said... sorry suck it up.

When PvP1 went down we all got the Bucc.  When PvE went down they got LVG's (Only ship I have on PvE other than the basic cutter).   I thought the gunboats was something else.   Though the point is we pretty much get left out and ignored other than when we  come on here and bitch about things.   I honestly wouldn't leave if a merger happened until there was a bigger population to support three servers.  I just wish they figure out why it's so unstable for a lot of the US players and even more so for the SEA players.   I been on a lot of other games and don't have that poor of a ping on other EU or even Russian servers I tested on.  

But right now with the low pop across the board three servers really aren't helping at all.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sruPL said:

"Immature ganking types" ???

@Billy Budd "A group of silly teenagers" ???

You guys can't understand that this game as MMO was meant to be tough and difficult. No one normal with working brain would sail alone 1st rate through the sea like a careless guy... Same goes to traders without any officers, upgrades, grey ship, escort etc. They are carebears that don't care about their protection until they get attacked. I agree that attacking low rank players is pointless as well, but it doesn't change my mind on above thoughts. There is nothing immature or "teenage" in hunting other players, you're just literally insulting PvP'ers. That is what I would call immature.

Since when is hunting other players ganking? Unless you take a group of players to attack all the time. Why the carebare snipe. What's wrong with caring. Why can't people care? We prefer PVE. Leave us alone. 

This thread has gone way off topic, and has devolved into the usual nonsense of people trying to prove their "internet prowess."  This is not National News.  I'm going to go through and clean up some of the off-topic nonsense as quickly as I can, but if it gets as vitriolic as it has been once again, this thread will be locked and the perpetrator will receive a warning point.

oh no this again if ya don't like pve go to pvp 1 or 2.

its funny we get alot of pvp people come over to pve for a break? too hot for u eh?

its time as  seamist advises to lock it up its the samo samo by the samo!

i

Edited by edward kydd
fi=orgot to put in
  • Like 1