Game-Labs Forum

PVE: Is it pointless?

You can't do port battles in PVE. I don't want to do port battles in PVE.

Once again. Yet again. You find PVE pointless FOR YOU. There are plenty that enjoy it. I have even said why but all I get back is the same mantra.

Well good for you. Play PVP with all the others that like PVP.

• Like 3

lol its beyond me why someone who enjoys PVP is bothered by PVE. Be like me/us or you are not worthy and we will make you disappear. Same mentality has caused most of humanity's problems. Mind your own business, enjoy your ganking, toxic and clicky atmosphere and leave us alone. We are not telling you where and how to play.

Devs please dont listen to these people, there are many of us who enjoy the beautiful world you created, and want to do so without having to belong to a large group or having to look over our shoulders.

• Like 2

Strange that your experience of PVE is different from mine. You do know we have fleet missions on the PVE server. And roaming large fleets. And roaming small fleets. All AI. You say that you are presenting the facts of the situation but my experience of PVE is so far away from what you describe that I wonder if you have the remotest idea of what you are talking about.

I will ignore the insulting language. I am glad you realise it is insulting though.

For the last time leave the PVE guys alone. Our play style has nothing to do with you. We want nothing to do with you either. I am so glad I am on another server. I have no idea why you keep attacking us.

So tell me, do AI ships attack you on PVP?

A server where you point and click trade and only fight easily beaten and predictable AI opponents, gee sign me up.

If that's what PVE only is no wonder it's dead.

Yah I played around a little on the PvE server and got bored.  I keep to PvP2 for a good while until I moved over to PvP1 since I live in the US.  To be honest I have only been attacked two or three times with two of those being  gank in a trader ship and I just gave up the fight as there was no way to run from them.  Would be nice if they had a ransom option to let the ships go after you attack them taking there ransom and maybe a little cargo.    The third fight I was 9 vs 1 and out number them all.  They even hit me twice and I out ran them a second time.   

So really I don't see a reason for PvE server.   It's like the easy/noob mode.

PvE is pointless, true.  I think it will be a massive amount of work, to make PvE something else than pointless.  Maybe now, when these weekly port captures come, those could be implemented on PvE server as well.

PvP, I have to admit that I really do like it.  Probably can be improved in multiple ways, but PvP, just seems to build its own content.

But have to admit, I do not really understand why to play NA on PvE server.

PVE is NOT pointless.Port Captures in PVP was the reason why i Quit PVP,not to mention stupid vendettas,toxic gameplay and ganking etc.I dont have the time to devote to PVP for a start.PVE is great if you want to play NA without idiots,children and halfwits.I have enjoyed over 1000 hours of NA the majority spent in PVE,i can craft,Trade,have Fleet Combat,Missions,small and Large Battles.I can play with like minded players and have a great time.I can advance my Rank and XP in PVE just like PVP.So you can plainly see that PVE is NOT pointless!You should try it,you never know you might be eating your own words!

• Like 3

So really I don't see a reason for PvE server.   It's like the easy/noob mode.

The reason is that a lot of players dont have the time to devote to PVP.Also they dont want Port Battles,Ganking,idiotic Vendettas,the list goes on and on.As for the easy/noob mode,if you think that you are that good,do a Post Captains Mission in a Yacht or take on an "Event" singlehandedly"!

I want a server where i can play NA without the above issues and enjoy it.I have yet to see ANY Toxic behaviour on the PVE server at all.There is no lack of Combat on PVE.So all in all,your not seeing a need for a PVE server holds no water at all.Its just a different way of playing NA!!!

• Like 3

Im not trying to bring up old drama here, I am trying to make a point using examples of 2 radically different philosophies.

Part of the reason PvP2 seemed to die was due to PvE grind fests on a PvP server. A faction would do poorly in port battles due to having lower level ships. So theyd stop the offensive and grind like mad to get better ships. Once they had better ships, then they would feel confident again to go out and PvP, and fight port battles. (In my opinion, this resulted in player boredom, followed by player frustration when they went up against veteran Naval Action PvPers)

France had an average player ship of surprise/belle poule at the height of its activity. France also was constantly PvPing. Most players got their experience from PvP. France's enemies had an average player ship of trincomalee/constitution/3rd rate

There was a definite skill imbalance. Those who fought France learned to fight by PvE. France threw its noobs into the crucible, bringing them along to PvP in their basic cutters. France was able to defend a shallow port 5 nights in a row, even when outnumbered significantly. 16 French players in inferior ships defeated 25 pirates who attacked Kingston. This was the narrative. 

People started posting on the forums that defended ports were impossible to take. This wasnt the case at all. Its what happens when players who almost exclusively PvP go up against people who got their ranks and ships through almost exclusive PvE.

While PvE can be a way to learn how the game functions before starting PvP, I dont think its a good way to learn how a vessel performs in combat. PvP is an entirely different animal and the best way to learn how to PvP in a new ship is by going out and doing PvP in that ship.

I am all for PvE servers, for those who dont like PvP. For those who like PvP,  I feel like "honing skills" on or by PvE is a huge mistake. Bad habits form. Once habits are formed they are hard to break.

So....i kinda rambled, but no. PvE isnt pointless. There is a good sized crowd that prefers it. From a PvP perspective, however, it does not provide good training.

Edited by Æthlstan
  • Like 1

Yeah I guess it's moot to discuss this with someone who plays in the PVE server and didn't see the decline from 2000 players to 500 over the time since launch. It's really just me.

It would seem to me the actions on the PvP server chased away players from the PvP servers. They sure didn't show up on the PvE servers so how can anyone justify that PvE is a problem on the PvP??

PvP lost a host of players, your question should be directed as to why they left the PvP. What was it you guys were doing to chase them away? They did not come to the PvE server so that isn't a reason for leaving PvP. So please, take a closer look as to what the PvP players are doing to each other, maybe this is the real reason for the population drop in the PvP world.

The PvE server is an alternative arena to play in and has nothing to do with the PvP server. Play in whatever arena pleases you, but to think one server can cause such a change in another is directionless and pointless. Please explain how it is that me playing on the PvE has caused the PvP population to drop like it had.

I really didn't think I had that much power!

Edited by Jean LaPointe

PVP players got bored with the PVE direction the PVP server is heading, so they left. No reason to go to the no effort PVE server.

The boring no skill time sinks that are the PVE content of the game are forced on the PVP players in PVP servers. You want a decent ship? Build your self or go spend hours trading so a crafter can take the materials and build it for you. Because even those guys hate spending days going back and forth trading to build ships. This all takes away from the PVP aspects of the game.

No reason to go to the no effort PVE server.

The boring no skill time sinks that are the PVE content of the game.........

Firstly, quite politely, could you please stop with the insults you hurl at PVE players.

Secondly your statement that PVP players left because of the PVE content on the PVP server is pure speculation. Perhaps that speculation is informed from the obvious disdain you have for those that prefer PVE but it is still speculation.

I could add to the possible causes of falling numbers the following. Ganking. The attacking of new players as they emerge. ( If you follow the steam reviews you will find some references - I came, I saw, I left) Summer in the Northern Hemisphere. New games attracting away some players. The lack of open world content as yet. ( From steam reviews). Some find the lack of tutorials offputting.

Plenty of comment about being thrown in the deep end.

I almost forgot. The toxic behavior of some people on the PVP1 server that has been well documented here.

Your simplistic blaming of PVE players simply doesn't hold water.

Edited by SeaMist
  • Like 1

I am amazed at some of the lines you people use.For some of you i would really like to know your age and education since some of the points you say are clearly of lower intelect given or just not well thinked.

How much of a "slower" person you need to be to say that pve is pointles in any way..

First of all,NA is a SANDBOX game,it isnt a team deathmatch game

-as someone said above,some people do not have the time to PVP,but with the time they have,they can PVE,craft and sell ships for the people that PVP active.I work in 12 hours shifts,i am sorry that i can not spend 4 hours preparing and PVPing for your amusment

-if you take a knee and just think for 5 sec about the concept of the game,how do you think the gameplay would play out if you made PVP only servers?You would have 50 "smart" players that would start crying after 2 days game is dead and what is the point

-i strongly would instate some sort of IQ test,hours played system or smth that will not alow some of these new players with a few hours.There is a increasing number of disturbing dumb ideas since a lot of the older players left and are leaving so the mouses started to rule

-I would like to ask a mod to close this topic as it is pointless,has no meaning and would lead to people insulting each others

There is no point to this topic,there isnt a single creative smart idea regarding it while there is a lot of pro PVE ideas and statements

I would recommend those who do not understand the meaning of sandbox,concept that there are diff people outside their small world or village they live in that they should not use the forums unless they have a issue or bug to report and do us all a favor.

I am seriously getting sick of the forum,the ideas that people are starting to have and the amount of tolerance the Mods are giving regarding these and similar posts.

P.S in the light of my statement,i can not wait to see the upcoming update and how will it play off,i can see a certain amount of "smart"ideas and crying after it and if the devs dumb down something i will seriously go play World of warships,at least there you know for what crowd it aims from the Alpha..

Ty and have a nice day

Sorry if my remarks are insulting but the fact remains.

You only need time to do well for the PVE aspects of this game, no real effort is involved. For many this is boring and repetitive. PVE is no risk high reward " style" of playing.

If you find that insulting then so be it.

And to hellshammy, PVE takes far for time than PVP.

Sorry if my remarks are insulting but the fact remains.

You only need time to do well for the PVE aspects of this game, no real effort is involved. For many this is boring and repetitive. PVE is no risk high reward " style" of playing.

If you find that insulting then so be it.

And to hellshammy, PVE takes far for time than PVP.

Let me rewrite this for you without the unnecessary barbs at PVE players. I hope you don't mind.

" I do not like PVE especially the low risk aspect of that play style. I feel that no real effort is involved and I find it boring and repetitive."

There you are, no insults there. You haven't commented on anyone else. No one can argue against your own feelings.....or they can but I will help you with the suggestions of kite flying.

Never let it be said that I don't try and help :-)

PVE server reminds me of a cross between 2 old facebook games. FarmVille and mafia wars and we see how well those are doing these days. Click and wait, click and wait, I feel like fighting I go gank an NPC, then click and wait.

Or maybe a better comparison, like artillery in WOT but with 0 risk.

PVE server reminds me of a cross between 2 old facebook games. FarmVille and mafia wars and we see how well those are doing these days. Click and wait, click and wait, I feel like fighting I go gank an NPC, then click and wait.

Or maybe a better comparison, like artillery in WOT but with 0 risk.

You really can't help yourself can you. Tell the truth. You have never been on the PVE server and have no idea what happens there. I can tell from your own descriptions of PVE all of which are at complete variance of mine.

Please just stop. It's now just getting sad.

PVE is not pointless, but it can become pointless. PVE helps greatly to get your rank up and earn all the money you need to get PVP ready.

When you ranked out to the max, PVE seems pointless but it is not for many others. 

It all depends on your own playing style and expectations from this game. I can live fine with the PVE stuff we have because simply somedays i just rather do a fleet mission with mates than sailing around for 1,5 hours and look for targets to gank, or be ganked ourselves:)

For the newer players and for the players that can be considered as casual gamers with restricted amount of playing time available, PVE is far from pointless. Is it repetitive and easy, i will let you guys be the judge of that.

You really can't help yourself can you. Tell the truth. You have never been on the PVE server and have no idea what happens there. I can tell from your own descriptions of PVE all of which are at complete variance of mine.

Please just stop. It's now just getting sad.

It's been a while but I spent a whole 8 miserable days there.

It is sad how you continue to try and make it something it's clearly not.

But just for fun, can you name one AOS game where PVE is the primary playstyle ( excluding Sid Meirs pirates) that is successfull to this day?