Game-Labs Forum

Collection of ideas to make ports more meaningful

Right now, ports are mere dots on a map. They lack meaning. In this post, please share ideas to help give ports more meaning.

Here is mine.

Pirate raiding and national capture destroys all outposts, ships, structures permanently!

Nationals cannot have outposts or shipyards in Freetowns. They can have dockyards only, to store ships, with a 1 ship limit, and can use the delivery system to deliver goods to their national ports.

Pirates have no ports, they can only have outposts in free towns with the ability to have a level 2 shipyard at the free town outposts. Pirates in not a selectable faction at start. Pirate port raiding is like pbs with the exception that they cannot capture the port, only get some resources and upgrades, which from the raiding screen can be delivered to their outposts, and their is a limit to the number of SOLs that nats can bring to defend as pirates are limited to frigates.

This is only a start as it may make a few ports for nations very important.

Please post your ideas.

Right now, ports are mere dots on a map. They lack meaning. In this post, please share ideas to help give ports more meaning.

Here is mine.

Pirate raiding and national capture destroys all outposts, ships, structures permanently!

Nationals cannot have outposts or shipyards in Freetowns. They can have dockyards only, to store ships, with a 1 ship limit, and can use the delivery system to deliver goods to their national ports.

Pirates have no ports, they can only have outposts in free towns with the ability to have a level 2 shipyard at the free town outposts. Pirates in not a selectable faction at start. Pirate port raiding is like pbs with the exception that they cannot capture the port, only get some resources and upgrades, which from the raiding screen can be delivered to their outposts, and their is a limit to the number of SOLs that nats can bring to defend as pirates are limited to frigates.

This is only a start as it may make a few ports for nations very important.

Please post your ideas.

Telling someone they cant pick pirate at the start is like telling someone who plays warcraft amd loves tanking that they cant pick a warrior right off. You will turn away a massive amount of players, including myself who has no desire to be a European country and likes the freedome to do as i choose.

Telling someone they cant pick pirate at the start is like telling someone who plays warcraft amd loves tanking that they cant pick a warrior right off. You will turn away a massive amount of players, including myself who has no desire to be a European country and likes the freedome to do as i choose.

If chosing pirate would really offer a different playing style your statement might be true, but it simply doesn´t. 

Comparing different nations with diferent classes in MMOs is simply wrong.

To my knowledge the devs intended Pirates to be the hard mode and/or a punishment for the outlaws. But instead it ended up as just another nation.

I'm all for ports having real value when factions are able to contribute gold for and build up defenses. I refuse to play the" sit around for 2 hours and have a teleport ready" game every night instead of sailing and finding some enjoyable PvP.

• Like 1

Maybe the existing ports economy and buildings availability can be modelled after the real counterparts ?

Such was deep water shipyards, main resources, naval bases, trade hub ? So each port is unique in its own way.

I hope so. I think it would be really cool to be able to 'build' towns, for lack of a better term. With economies that grow and contract, depending on trade and production facilities. I have vague recollections of discussions from when I first started playing around January that defenses would be able to be ought and scaled by players. Not sure what the status of forts and defenses are now.

If chosing pirate would really offer a different playing style your statement might be true, but it simply doesn´t.

Comparing different nations with diferent classes in MMOs is simply wrong.

To my knowledge the devs intended Pirates to be the hard mode and/or a punishment for the outlaws. But instead it ended up as just another nation.

Since we both know you frequent the forums you already knowthat pirates will be changed and has been adresses in 295672455 post already.

Other mmos have quest, NA has quests (called missions) other mmos have group quest, NA has fleet missions, other mmos have raids and epic events , NA has eoic events and raids (called port battles) other mmos have instant teleports to zones and and cities , NA has them too. How exactly is it differnt tham any other mmo now ?

My statement is spot on whether anyone agrees or not just as I said that if they kept making the game faster amd easier and more mission oriented people would leave and the people have left in droves the easier and more generic mmo it gets.

Making ports important is great and i alone have made several suggestions on this in tje past but to exclude player choice is stupid and game killing.

If you want to make playing a faction a punishment then make me a brit and thats punishment and will also make me quit.

Edit...if you make becoming a pirate only through an action like attacking a friendly then all you are encouraging is every pirate want to be to attack and troll his faction untill he becomes a pirate.

If you make being a pirate a bad thing aka punishment and enforce strick unfair and unfun game mechanics (this IS a game remember ) on them then why would anyone play a handicap faction that would be a real punishment? Thats assine. People dont ask for nerfs , peple dont ask for unfun play lol...they would either just quit as ive said or just constantly reroll and troll whatever faction they feel like lol. What a dumb idea.

Edited by Mrdoomed

I have no problem with limiting the ships sizes Pirates can build IF!!!!! the Pirate Frigate can be craftable and all other ships they can build are allowed to get the same kind of minor upgrades the Pirate Frigate got... They should also not be limited to ONLY using those ships... If a Pirate captures a 3rd rate or Connie or even a Santi they should be able to use it. 

If you raid or capture a port ALL the resources in warehouses and buildings and ships in dock should be captureable up to a limit of per player fleet size to sail back in a single run... 

ie if there are 25 guys that attack and 21 are left at the end... They can each capture up to 2-3 ships(based on devs decision on fleet size) Then fill those ships with cargo.... They can then burn the rest of the ships at the dock or offer the previous owners the chance to ransom them back same for production buildings and shipyards. Either way the port should be unusaeable to anyone for 24 real hours after it is raided or captured

Edited by CaptVonGunn

Your xenophobic bs is laughable as a proud British person I have played a ridiculous amount of games were my choice is play as a US character vs 'bad guys' or not play and you cry like a girl because playing as a British character is an option do the world a favour and do one.

Most ppl stating a preference in these forums have said they think Pirates should be be different from Nations and have a very different mechanic.

Are all brits as stupid as you or am i just lucky? I wasnt implying anything about britain in particular i was referring to making me play any national player but made the mistake of thinkiny people were smart enough that i didn't have to acually name every single nation in the game....i cry for idiots like you. I pity england.

I hope so. I think it would be really cool to be able to 'build' towns, for lack of a better term. With economies that grow and contract, depending on trade and production facilities. I have vague recollections of discussions from when I first started playing around January that defenses would be able to be ought and scaled by players. Not sure what the status of forts and defenses are now.

Yeah I think maybe it would serve the game better if ports were built by the players instead. Clans can make the capitals and towns, trading companies can set up outposts built near valuable resources and have them ship back to the towns.

Many of these ports will be important to one clan or another and enemies will fight over these locations.

In real life the Pirates didn´t go to Naval Academy...they ussually didn´t know how to write or read.

They don´t want to be great sailors or admirals....they want only drink and fuck women.

In my opinion this is the reason why they don´t know how to rule big ship. Pirates in Naval Action they shouldn´t be allow to

drive any big ship. Only Frigates. No Santisima, No Victory, No St.Pavel...etc

Or you can built for them Naval College.

Edited by Marques
  • Like 1