Game-Labs Forum

Will the new no capture NPC warships help or hurt PVP

don't forget 3, 2 and 1 ranks ships will be limited to capital port battle in few times.... ^^

and IMO this will encourage first rate spam even more, when the battles where you can actually bring a SOL will be rare, no reason not to bring the best you've got.

Especially since you can have an outpost at every regional capital you want to defend very easily, this means you can teleport your ship to the port battle.

I believe that to be a bad change and expect it to be reversed very fast.

Now what I think will happen is, today there will be a big rush on ships, because everybody moved up a rank all of a sudden, and will probably want to sail that bigger ship. Crafters will get allot of demands to produce bigger ships (if the shops don't have what they want). All ships will become more valuable right now, even that 1 dura ship you capped will be of importance, because once its gone its not easy to replace People will no longer have the "Its just a capped ship" attitude and the PvP fights will be less intense, probably more long range and people just running off fast, so also less ship capping in PvP.

What might also be a problem is that if a clan suffers several consecutive crushing defeats, where more than half loses a dura. It might take them a couple of days to get a half descent defence fleet together. Before you were at least prety sure you could fill a PB with 25 capped 3rd rates in no time, and still be of some danger to the attackers.

I am especialy worried that a nation can just run out of good ships. If you concentrate your whole fleet around your capital and the closest ports that have all the needed goods for ships, defend them well, stack em with production buildings.

Your nation could be invincible, whoever can throw away the most ships in a battle is just king. To me this is sounding allot like real war now. I read a book "Artrition" about WWI saying that, in the end the allies new they could never lose because they could afford to lose the most men. And this game will be the same, whatever nation can afford to lose the most ships will be ruler of the seas.

I have used capped ships for raids when those ships were descents. I have lost some of them... I have also used my crafted ships in raids/fights and I have lost dura on them. My trinco has only 2 dura left, my essex 3.

I think with the number of dura on ships up to frigates we can afford loosing a few duras. It doesn't really mater up to the last one where you want to be careful not to loose your upgrades.

We have reach a point where a crafter with the support of other players can make a frigate per day easily or assemble a bigger ship in 35 irl hours. So what will make the difference between nations in my opinion will be the number of crafters and the organization level of the support team.

The biggest problem at this time is that crafters now need to support nearly the full supply of ships for a nation, and at this time I don't think they can. Money won't be the problem I think, if you buy a frig, even if you sink it 5 times in a row. if you are a half descent player you will at least break even on it. I think we underestimate how much Ai capped ships were used.

These ecomics will be getting real, supply and demand style like in real life. Shortage of ships, prices go up, more people see profit in making ships, more people start crafting, prices drop again. It will take a couple of weeks to balance the economy again I think.

I have been checking the market for 3rd rates specificaly for the last week, and where there were about 10 3rd rates for sale on average for the last week. Today there was only one.

• Like 1

Hurt.

1.  No throwaway ships = more risk = more risk avoidance.

2.  No throwaway 3rd rates = crafter reliance = solos/small clans staying out of significant (Ship of the Line+) PvP battles.

This without a doubt.

Crafting will become more viable and actually stimulate trade and even PVP in general as it wont be a battle of the throw away ships. Prices for ships will go up to as more loss equals more demand for the higher more gold carrying clans, which will also increase numbers in those clans to go up due to seeking more people to help craft and battles will intensify as more people learn those the more experienced players.

In the long run this patch will make PvP more worth it and more thrilling like in EvE. 

I see no evidence that this won't in the short term hurt the PVP.  Reading some of the comments from those playing after patch about the out of control leaking, I'd further guess those with exceptional's won't risk durations on this patch if this is truth.    Could be everyone just drops down to store purchased NPC Frigates and goes at it though?   Again,  guess we need to play awhile before rushing to judgement.  

I see no evidence that this won't in the short term hurt the PVP.  Reading some of the comments from those playing after patch about the out of control leaking, I'd further guess those with exceptional's won't risk durations on this patch if this is truth.    Could be everyone just drops down to store purchased NPC Frigates and goes at it though?   Again,  guess we need to play awhile before rushing to judgement.  

Yeah we bought frigates from the store tonight and pvp'd. Not taking out my vics or pavels with the current mechanics.

Its hard to tell, I am hoping to see long sustained wars cause exhaustion and SOL's become appropriatly rare. The true picture will come with diplomacy and trade.

Sweden (by example is small) and thus would need to ally with someone strong, lets say the dutch (again by example), Sweden offers safe harbour to the Dutch who in turn offer Silver and Red Wood, the Dutch can execute their offensive against the French (as all good nations should) while the Swede's sit back and rake in the $$$ from supporting a Naval Power, in time the Swedes have a fleet capable of taking on the Danes...and so on and so on.

Wars are the ultimate tool of diplomacy and trade...at the moment...we predominantly only have 'war'.

And lets be honest..in general smaller nations don't get to dominate the world unless they take a technological leap (The Brits by example) that for a period gives them an edge that allows expansion beyond their numerical truth...until everyone catches up....and then they are put back into their box....and so it goes round...until the Aliens come.

• Like 2

Mostly likely it will hurt PvP, since people will be less willing to commit their hard earned crafted ships as opposed the old disposable 3rd rate. But on the other hand, it will certainly get the heart rate going putting your 1st or 2nd rate in the thick of it.

Freebies will never help anything.

Now... ( as before if you were all into pvp without concerns about AI herding )

Players will pvp, pvp need ships that need to be assembled, ships that need materials that other crafters build, that will be sold for cash won in pvp. It is a nice cycle.

• Like 1

Captured ships were not free, and they were not real competition to crafted exceptionals with 6-8 upgrades on them.

It still took time to capture them. Sure, maybe it's not exactly good to be able to spawn a solo 3rd rate at will whenever you needed to capture one, maybe those should have been restricted for capture in missions, or maybe the higher ranking missions should throw multiple frigates at you instead of one third rate, and any 4th rate + should have to come from open world.

But the game now took the most extreme approach to solve this "issue". To the detriment of PVP, from my experience since the patch hit.

• Like 1

My perception is actually that PvP had a massive increase. Before most pvp'ers had to jump mission makers, now there is always hunting and counter hunting even from groups that previously were always herding AI. And I do not stick to one place it happens everywhere.

Might be placebo but there's always action in the open seas. What is true is that the Conquest fleets were mauled but that was to be expected with a more interesting application of top ships when it matters, when it counts, and not a mindless grind of "free" SOLs to throw into PBs.

• Like 2