Game-Labs Forum

Real pirates

Could fix the current problem with pirates playing like just any other nation

Let another faction be created for real pirates (perhaps called Buccaneers) with all the more realistic qualities of historical pirates - like the ability to raid etc. but limited crafting etc. etc.

From then on when a player attacks his own nation he gets to join the Buccaneers.

While the Pirate nation continues as it is crafting 1st rate ships etc. like any other nation

This should please everybody - both those who want to fight as a nation under a pirate flag AND those who wish to fight as pirates

regards

A. Mouse esq.

• Like 1

Let another faction be created for real pirates (perhaps called Buccaneers) with all the more realistic qualities of historical pirates - like the ability to raid etc. but limited crafting etc. etc.

From then on when a player attacks his own nation he gets to join the Buccaneers.

While the Pirate nation continues as it is crafting 1st rate ships etc. like any other nation

This should please everybody - both those who want to fight as a nation under a pirate flag AND those who wish to fight as pirates

regards

A. Mouse esq.

Cant you already limit your crafting ?

Cant you already essentially raid just by leaving after getting the loot from port cap and then not defend the base ?

I would prefere a " neutral faction" then you could be a pirate a privateer a merchant a fisherman whatever. I dont need a label to act a certain way.

i think neutral was the way to go with random ports that can't be captured put pirates aside as what they really were master less men no ports or port captures but they can use neutral ports. just a thought

Neutral is going to be the only way devs will get this stupid pirate problem off thier backs because it apears by the amount of posts about it that most peole just cant get past labels.

Just because you CAN take port dont mean you must. Just because you CAN craft big ships dont mean you have to . Just because you CAN skipper a first rate dont mean you have to. I could go on.

So by making a neutral faction if someone wants to be a pirate they can and they will soon gain that reputation wherever the steal and against that faction. That would or could lead to a mercenary being known as a pirate to england but a friend to France ir Americans.

Unfortunately you will not be able to give people a choice of flags to fly because the second they sail the black the ability to craft will ruin their lives.

Let neutral players use any port they can get to as long as that faction dont sink them lol.

Honestly no matter what they do to change or fix or leave pirates at the same people complaining now will complain then , just over something else like no peg legs or hooks for hands.

Cant you already limit your crafting ?

Cant you already essentially raid just by leaving after getting the loot from port cap and then not defend the base ?

I would prefere a " neutral faction" then you could be a pirate a privateer a merchant a fisherman whatever. I dont need a label to act a certain way.

The idea is that people would then have a choice

There is plenty of history out there about pirates and what they should be, i would like to see them for what they really were, really tough and scary PvP players that stole everything they needed to survive, morale being a big factor, needing to constantly loot gold to keep the crew happy, constant pvp to maintain their ships and help tweak and refit them, no crafting just constant raiding, reputation and bounties for trying to kill them making them hard to challenge, this is what i feel are real pirates.

its so funny how people think pirates should play, especialy if they play for another nation.....

I was a pirate before any of you young 'uns. One of the first dozen to ever sail GameLabs' Caribbean.

I complain because the game never got the pirate faction I wanted to play for. Why the hell would I want to grind XP in service of an overpopulated zerg metropolis, just so I can look at a black flag?

• Like 3

I was a pirate before any of you young 'uns. One of the first dozen to ever sail GameLabs' Caribbean.

I complain because the game never got the pirate faction I wanted to play for. Why the hell would I want to grind XP in service of an overpopulated zerg metropolis, just so I can look at a black flag?

I played potbs as england for the first couple years but after being raped by pirates ( that had all the cool pirate things that make them the pirates everyone here thinks of) i threw away millions of gold my 50th lvl toon all my everything to be pirates.

In less than a week i was max level and unkillable. There was nothing a national player could do to not get sank by a pirate with even a small amount of brains. And since pirates where made to gave a hard time capturing ports 99% of what was left to do was to sit in front of englands biggest ports and sink their players all day and night.

That was awesome having pirates abilities and thats the only reason i rolled pirates here. Imagine my disappointed whem i realized i have to play by the same rules as everyone else :( .

The idea is that people would then have a choice

They already have that choice. Unless youre saying there should be a country called pirates which in that case im confused but ok.

And yet in pvp1 our population is about 20. Hmmm

You're on crack. The pirates manage to bring 30-40 per PB. They fill the battle and manage 5-15 on screening duty. They also manage to do this for multiple ports at one time.

Lying to prove your point, no matter how passionately you believe it, doesn’t help your cause.

• Like 1

You're on crack. The pirates manage to bring 30-40 per PB. They fill the battle and manage 5-15 on screening duty. They also manage to do this for multiple ports at one time.

Lying to prove your point, no matter how passionately you believe it, doesn’t help your cause.

I never see more than a handful of peope on so calling me a liar to make your point is usless. And saying thier is only 20 pirates is no more facetious than him saying 50% of the population on pvp1 is gonna be a pirate. Get off your high horse. Because youre sayint that out of 163 people on when i was and no port battles going and 4 peiple in chat and not 1 seen at sea somehow had 40 in a pb ? Edited by Mrdoomed

I never see more than a handful of peope on so calling me a liar to make your point is usless. And saying thier is only 20 pirates is no more facetious than him saying 50% of the population on pvp1 is gonna be a pirate. Get off your high horse. Because youre sayint that out of 163 people on when i was and no port battles going and 4 peiple in chat and not 1 seen at sea somehow had 40 in a pb ?

I transitioned to PVP1 from 2 a week or two ago, and pretty much every night I see Pirates pull at least 3 flags at once, 2 of which are filled to the max with screeners (with the third sometimes being a feint, sometimes being partially filled).  Don't know when you're playing, but I'd guess it's morning EST, when all the servers are lowpop and US faction has around two dozen people on total, with maybe one or two in chat.

your numbers on PVP2? sure, I'll believe that.  not on PVP1.

I transitioned to PVP1 from 2 a week or two ago, and pretty much every night I see Pirates pull at least 3 flags at once, 2 of which are filled to the max with screeners (with the third sometimes being a feint, sometimes being partially filled). Don't know when you're playing, but I'd guess it's morning EST, when all the servers are lowpop and US faction has around two dozen people on total, with maybe one or two in chat.

your numbers on PVP2? sure, I'll believe that. not on PVP1.

I play before 7 exept sunday. Thats my point to the person i was talking to before ragers started raging. He claims every other person in the game is a pirate. Thats total bs and i made the point that if thats true then there are only 20 pirates on my server because thats all i see.

Do you get that ?

The primary problem with pirate is that while it operates like any other nation (all the benefits), it is the one nation to which a player can switch without re-rolling their character from scratch.  Or players can switch by mistake.  Basically, pirate is like the gross bathtub drain screen that collects hair and bits of soap and other detritus.

• Like 2

No thank you.  First off, buccaneers were NOT pirates.  They're not the same thing historically.  Second, I'd much prefer trying to get the pirate 'nation' hindered so that they can't be sailing around in unrealistic first rates and taking over major cities.  Really, they should be restricted to smaller frigates at best, as they were commerce raiders, not a cohesive group of like-minded conquerors working together to build a nation.  

Ship restrictions for pirates are no good because command of a 1st rate is inevitable for every national to stay in game long enough. It isn't a limited ship of the line fleet tied up in continental warfare.

tell me 1 Pirate who sail in a 1st rate :D

only 1 Pirate who have done a cap on a Spanish British or French 1st Rate

No thank you.  First off, buccaneers were NOT pirates.  They're not the same thing historically.  Second, I'd much prefer trying to get the pirate 'nation' hindered so that they can't be sailing around in unrealistic first rates and taking over major cities.  Really, they should be restricted to smaller frigates at best, as they were commerce raiders, not a cohesive group of like-minded conquerors working together to build a nation.  

1. I only suggested the name 'buccaneers' to distinguish them from the current 'pirates'

2. And I suggested the whole idea because I feel that the devs may find it impossible to fundamentally change the rules of the pirate 'nation' because so many players have already opted for that.

I agree with you in all respects but it's all about what is politically possible

• Like 1

Jesus yet another british whining topic.

So you are saying that you don't want other people to have the choice to play as true pirates?

Because that's all I'm suggesting - no change of rules for the pirate nation itself.

Until you work 'Big ship wins' way there will be no pirates and no pirating. Simple as that.

Its been 2 months now im playing as real pirate and had to engage rates, victories in renomees and surprises and i can tell you most of the time we had to run getting comments like:

You wasting our time ! Ohh you running now? You cowards !

As long as you wont help pirates to do so by making pirate ships faster, stronger etc.. there will be no pirating.

Edit: But i will keep trying no matter what they say :) And maybe some day we will see group of pirate privateers fighting Victory for 1.5 hours and finally gets it .

Edited by Toothless Jack
  • Like 2