Game-Labs Forum

Does the time period in this game preclude having Galleons? I am not sure when the design went out of favor. A tubby slug, oops, I mean Galleon might be kind of fun. The Walrus in Black Sails is a Galleon like ship. So was the Black Pearl. The piRATes might like them.

Dear PiRATes, no disrespect intended by referring to you guys as RATS, just a holdover from the old POTBS days. We really love ye. 

The preffered timeline is 1690-1820. If you find any galleon plans that was built in that period present it in the next ship selection vote and it might have a chance to make it in game :)

he Spanisf Galleon San Jose was built in 1697-98 and sunk by the british in 1708 outside Cartagena, Columbia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_galleon_San_Jos%C3%A9

If you find her plans make a post about her in the shipyard section with her info but make sure that she hasn't been posted before. Use the search bar to find out :)

This game needs Galleons! Having them as the new class of large merchantmen would be an excellent addition.

we dont need galleons, we have something better: indiaman :)

btw you can check game files for more details.

Edited by Nash
  • Like 1

we dont need galleons, we have something better: indiaman :)

btw you can check game files for more details.

Indiamen where built much like a frigate of the era and had quite similar lines and sails. The appeal of Galleons is their very distinct hull structure and sail plan.

Spain operated Galleons out of Manila until the 1800s. The last famous engagement I am aware of was the Nuestra Senora de la Covadonga being captured by HMS Centurion a 60 gun fourth rate ship of the line in 1743. Another 60 gun 4th rate ship of the line HMS Panther accompanied by the sixth rate HMS Argo captured the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin which had lost a mass in a severe storm in 1762.

Indiamen where built much like a frigate of the era and had quite similar lines and sails. The appeal of Galleons is their very distinct hull structure and sail plan.

Spain operated Galleons out of Manila until the 1800s. The last famous engagement I am aware of was the Nuestra Senora de la Covadonga being captured by HMS Centurion a 60 gun fourth rate ship of the line in 1743. Another 60 gun 4th rate ship of the line HMS Panther accompanied by the sixth rate HMS Argo captured the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin which had lost a mass in a severe storm in 1762.

Spain keept the term Galleon for their ship of the lines. a common missinformation that is still widely spreaded.

the indiaman statement is also false with ships like farquharson armed with 56x18 pounders and being the size of a Victory these were also used in Linebattles regulary.

Spain keept the term Galleon for their ship of the lines. a common missinformation that is still widely spreaded.

the indiaman statement is also false with ships like farquharson armed with 56x18 pounders and being the size of a Victory these were also used in Linebattles regulary.

Hence my example of the Manila Galleons which were true galleons. Not ships of the line but armed ships carrying passgengers and cargo from the Phillipines to Mexico. They had tall carved sterns and far larger then their guns would be on a ship of the line. And built to weather the severe typhoons of the pacific. HMS Panther found her guns to be little effect to the overbuilt hull of the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin. The crew of the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin surrended due to the fact they had nowhere to go and couldn't outrun the British due to having lost a mast in a storm. Manila they had been making for had fallen into British hands during the Seven Years War.

This is the one time period painting I am aware of depicting the engagement between the Nuestra Senora de la Covadonga (60 guns on the right) and the HMS Centurion (60 guns on the left). Notice the galleon's sprit topmast on the bowsprit (unset). and the multidecked stern castle. (2 decks above the spar). And just how much larger she is overall compared to a streamlined for military purpose 60 gun ship of the line.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/11852.html

Galleons left over from the 1500's and 1600's were obsolete and usually stripped of most of their armament and put into service as cargo haulers. 
I would love to have them in-game as a trade ship though.

Edited by Admiral 8Q
  • Like 1