Game-Labs Forum

Merging PvP1 & PvP2 -- Some questions.

We had a British PB fleet last night in US prime time that represented over ten percent of the US PVP 2 server population. And that fleet was basically a PUG, with people x'ing up in nation chat.

The economy is all but dead and it's hard to find a fight. If you like running the same mission over and over again, PVP 2 is fine.

It really needs to be merged into PVP 1. Another couple hundred players wouldn't cause much additional load.

I know Ted.

I wish there was a way to bring PVP 2 back, it could be a while before there's any chance of a merge.....if there is one.

I think my idea might have the best chance of quickly improving things for PVP 2, it could make the difference.

200 more players and with the gold bonus would make a big difference, probably bring back some of the players who quit too.

In the long run what PVP 2 needs is 600 - 1,000 online to really bring it back to life.

Anyone else with a good suggestion ?

However, some players are so Kewl ........ they are fine with what's happening with PVP 2.

Edited by Bert Beard

My suggestion. Relax. It's alpha. Devs will deal with it. Perhaps its good to figure how the backend handles things, how econ handles things, etc.

I'm sure the Dev's have some pretty good info now on what server population it takes to collapse the economy and begin the exodus to the other server.

My guess, this starts to happen when the average population drops below 400.

Edited by Bert Beard

Yea, ok.

In other words no answer and no clarity till sometime in the future ........probably months ?

Is that showing respect towards your customers ?

Ink.........as a paying customer, I don't consider that an acceptable answer

Please cut it out, please. 

Give them a break, they are working on contextualised geographical battles and then they have said they may look at server balances etc. This is EXACTLY the sort of communications we want, we should not then immediately jump all over them with the QQ nothing happens until tomorrow. We want the Dev't to communicate give us a rough outline of their roadmap, its development, timelines slip, priorities change, we should just wear that, chill, give them a 'thanks for the update'.

Make this somewhere they WANT to talk to us. If we poor Salt on any Dev comment...why would any person want to come back for me. Sheeesh.

Most likely the issue will be addressed after land is battles feature is released, the view on this issue will be announced both on Steam and GL forums

Yes, at least Ink did respond...........I guess I was frustrated because by the time that next big patch comes out .........what's happening now with PVP 2 .......a solution will be too late.

Edited by Bert Beard

This was all talked about and seen as happening at the EA on steam, more servers were added at that time because they were needed with the rush of new players, it was spoken of then that the servers would need to be merged as this pattern is a common one in games at start at. Large numbers gave the devs no choice but to add more servers than would be needed within a set time period, i.e. the cool down that happens in most EA games after the rush buying at the start. NA did very well with a lot more players joining up than was expected, to say that the team is not telling you what is planned is just wrong as we were all aware that this situation was going to happen 2 months ago, if anyone is that short sighted to have not seen it coming is their problem not the devs who are busy trying to develop the game, not be a personal advisor to those to inept to work out what EA and the situation we are in actually means.

The game numbers will rise again at some point, upon full release, and another server or more, depending on its success will have to be re added.  Merging them for now at a time of a wipe is the best way forward, but players need to understand EA and the reasons that problems arise from time to time, if it were that easy, boy would there be some amazing games coming out daily. It takes a lot of hard work, juggling, compromises and for some, disappointments. T'is the way of it.

Some spastic stuff there Captain

What server you on ?

I appreciate that reply Mikeda.

I joined Naval Action shortly after the Alpha release at the beginning of February so I wouldn't know that.

As I'm sure most people who went to PVP 2.

What initially caught my interest with this problem was I noticed the population drop in PVP 2 over several days and then one of the moderators recommending to a new player to go to PVP 1 instead of 2.

And I thought.......what's going on here.

But you know what, I think it's time for a break.

I'm not too keen on starting over in PVP 1 and PVP 2 is almost empty......my clan left.

And right now I'm not too pleased about that.

In the whole scope of things this game is not that important........especially to argue over.

And the $110 I spent ( yes I have 2 accounts ) is pretty insignificant compared to what I spend on beer.

Edited by Bert Beard

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the tone of some of these posts.

While I can imagine 'starting over' is somewhat hard, as XP both normal and craft is account linked, you're not giving up your rank. It's not a total start over, you're just losing ships and money. To that end, I know in my nation, myself and some others have been providing basic or captured ships to new people who mention on channel that they're new and ask for a hand. Once you've got a ship, then it's a relatively quick amount of time to build back up. Money isn't really a problem on this game at the moment, especially as you get higher rank. Even more so if you're over level 15 or 35 as a crafter since you can sell mid-grade and high-grade notes profitably.

Even if you're not getting a hand up from your nation (can't imagine that every nation isn't helping out transfer people to get them on the front lines faster, if they're not get a new nation), it's not that many lynxes, yachts and brigs to chain-grape-board-sell to be able to buy a ship and then move on. Again once you've been helped or ground up to the correct size boat the missions are profitable enough to make up ground quickly. I've recently hit the Captain rank, and with a buddy or two I've been making extreme amounts of money grinding out those 169's, the double connie pays out excellently with xp and cash (40k-60k). Which is why I am able to buy or build and then turn over appropriate ships with carros and a few repair kits. Getting in with a group of people, either friends or a clan or simply asking in national chat to attack AI groups or grind missions with only speeds up the accumulation of wealth.

I'm not trying to belittle or suggest that it's not ideal, but I don't think moving from one server to the other is as bad as the tone in some of these posts seem to suggest. We're all quite likely looking down the barrel at this eventually when a big wipe comes at whatever stage in the development cycle it's needed. The Devs I believe have only said that XP will never be wiped (though amounts required may be changed), our stuff is not so safe.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the tone of some of these posts.

I'm not trying to belittle or suggest that it's not ideal, but I don't think moving from one server to the other is as bad as the tone in some of these posts seem to suggest. We're all quite likely looking down the barrel at this eventually when a big wipe comes at whatever stage in the development cycle it's needed. The Devs I believe have only said that XP will never be wiped (though amounts required may be changed), our stuff is not so safe.

I understand what your saying Sampo and there are some very helpful players offering assistance to players switching from PVP 2 to PVP 1.

But especially for those who have been building an economic empire with lot's of bases, mats and ships on PVP 2.......it would take me weeks and many hours to get back to where I was even with lots of help.

And yes I expect there will be a server wipe later this year sometime when the game is ready, then everyone will be in the same boat and with lot's of notice.

And a proper, planned mechanism for the players to get things going again.

Not what's happening now........which is no plan and no clarity from the Dev's.

Wonder how many from PVP 1 would be willing to do that server wipe and lose all their stuff one extra time and shrug it off like it's not a big deal.......while those in PVP 2 get to keep all their stuff.

You know.......the roles reversed.

Many people have real lives you know and will not want to do that, they'll say the hell with that...........I have better things to do than waste a hundred or two hours starting over because of an ooopsy.

My guess is that would be why most of the players who left PVP 2 in the last couple weeks did not go to PVP 1............. they quit.

There not here in the forums trying to fix it.......there gone.

And guess what there going to tell their friends about Naval Action and it's server population numbers.

I think this game is great and has tremendous potential.

That's why this is very frustrating to me because I've seen it before with PotBS.

Shrugging something like this off as a lot of complaining about nothing as some are doing here will help to ensure that fate.

Edited by Bert Beard

I share the same sentiments as Bert. The pending wipe of PVP2 is causing me to think that I may put this game down once it occurs. In the past 2 months I've spend too many hours playing this game. It is almost like a second life. I enjoy the battles and combat but my enjoyment is the economics of the game, Buying ans selling. Travelling port to port gathering current prices, buying and trading resources. Crafting and selling of ships, allowing me to build up a sizable gold amount. All this eats up a lot of time. Per what I have read I will lose all of my inventory, gold and ships in the wipe and expected to "start over" keeping only my Rank XP and Crafting XP. I find this unacceptable and probably be a big factor if I continue at the same level of participation.

It seems that the building design of the servers were not fully thought out since it will impact so many players accounts. There should be process created where PVP2 player accounts can be merged to the PVP1 without penalty. I know it would take time and resources to create such a program but it would keep the players (customers) happy and satisfied.
In this day and age merging database account records should not be an issue. I assume the issue is linking the Steam account ID with the target server database. I hope that the development team can take a closer look to see it they can over come those obstacle and provide a tool to move account over. This would also provide you the tools if similar future issues are discovered.

If this is not possible then at the least, as suggested, create prorated reimbursement of the lost inventory and monies once the accounts are relocated to PVP1 thereby minimizing the impact of the move.

I understand what your saying Sampo and there are some very helpful players offering assistance to players switching from PVP 2 to PVP 1.

But especially for those who have been building an economic empire with lot's of bases, mats and ships on PVP 2.......it would take me weeks and many hours to get back to where I was even with lots of help.

And yes I expect there will be a server wipe later this year sometime when the game is ready, then everyone will be in the same boat and with lot's of notice.

And a proper, planned mechanism for the players to get things going again.

Not what's happening now........which is no plan and no clarity from the Dev's.

Wonder how many from PVP 1 would be willing to do that server wipe and lose all their stuff one extra time and shrug it off like it's not a big deal.......while those in PVP 2 get to keep all their stuff.

You know.......the roles reversed.

Many people have real lives you know and will not want to do that, they'll say the hell with that...........I have better things to do than waste a hundred or two hours starting over because of an ooopsy.

My guess is that would be why most of the players who left PVP 2 in the last couple weeks did not go to PVP 1............. they quit.

There not here in the forums trying to fix it.......there gone.

And guess what there going to tell their friends about Naval Action and it's server population numbers.

I think this game is great and has tremendous potential.

That's why this is very frustrating to me because I've seen it before with PotBS.

Shrugging something like this off as a lot of complaining about nothing as some are doing here will help to ensure that fate.

Please  cut it out bert

• Like 1

I share the same sentiments as Bert. The pending wipe of PVP2 is causing me to think that I may put this game down once it occurs. In the past 2 months I've spend too many hours playing this game. It is almost like a second life. I enjoy the battles and combat but my enjoyment is the economics of the game, Buying ans selling. Travelling port to port gathering current prices, buying and trading resources. Crafting and selling of ships, allowing me to build up a sizable gold amount. All this eats up a lot of time. Per what I have read I will lose all of my inventory, gold and ships in the wipe and expected to "start over" keeping only my Rank XP and Crafting XP. I find this unacceptable and probably be a big factor if I continue at the same level of participation.

It seems that the building design of the servers were not fully thought out since it will impact so many players accounts. There should be process created where PVP2 player accounts can be merged to the PVP1 without penalty. I know it would take time and resources to create such a program but it would keep the players (customers) happy and satisfied.

In this day and age merging database account records should not be an issue. I assume the issue is linking the Steam account ID with the target server database. I hope that the development team can take a closer look to see it they can over come those obstacle and provide a tool to move account over. This would also provide you the tools if similar future issues are discovered.

If this is not possible then at the least, as suggested, create prorated reimbursement of the lost inventory and monies once the accounts are relocated to PVP1 thereby minimizing the impact of the move.

To be fair, we're all likely to experience this @ release. We all know about it so I'm confused why folks are talking about quitting the game because the thought of starting again without cash / ships seems too large a step. I accept it's not pleasant, but quit?

MMOS have always suffered this problem with over subscription / log in queues then a decline in numbers that leaves one server under populated. 

As for your statement about server merge and database records being easy to do, I suspect you've not fully thought about this.  For example, where are all your ships / outposts / factories / buildings? Are the ports they're in controlled by your nation on PVP1? if not, then what?  What about your name? Does someone else have it on PVP1? Who is going to be forced to change name if it's taken?  Same with clan names.

There's a lot more involved than a simple database merge matey.

I share the same sentiments as Bert. The pending wipe of PVP2 is causing me to think that I may put this game down once it occurs. 

They would never wipe one server and not the other.  The most likely situation that has been alluded to is that after a future major content patch: an asset wipe (not xp or crafting xp) will happen for all servers and some servers will be shut down.

Those that switched will likely lament that decision as their non-wiped progress will be slowed compared to those that didn't.

You realize that if there is a merge, it will be the shutdown of PVP1, merging into PVP2, not the other way around.

European servers have too high of a ping for Asian and Oceanic players. North American servers seem to have suitable pings for everyone (probably due to the generally better infrastructure in and out of here from both coasts). So shutting down PVP2 is simply not possible, while shutting down PVP1 actually is possible.

If this game goes down to only 1 server, it will have to be located in North America if they want maximum coverage for all existing customers.

• Like 1

You realize that if there is a merge, it will be the shutdown of PVP1, merging into PVP2, not the other way around.

European servers have too high of a ping for Asian and Oceanic players. North American servers seem to have suitable pings for everyone (probably due to the generally better infrastructure in and out of here from both coasts). So shutting down PVP2 is simply not possible, while shutting down PVP1 actually is possible.

If this game goes down to only 1 server, it will have to be located in North America if they want maximum coverage for all existing customers.

I have to disagree, I feel there are far more euro based players.