Game-Labs Forum

Smell of elites in port battles

Think the slots in port battles need to be split up for example x number for 1-2-3 rates and some slots for smaller ships.

The way it is now lower ranking players are being ask´d not to join port battles and that´s will have a negative effects on game.

• Like 4

Small vessels have no place in deep water port battles.

Low-level players can easily find their own ports to attack.

This will only be solved by shoals and reefs in the port battle instances. Imagine a fort that is surrounded by shoals. A smaller ship can approach and lie beneath the guns safely, but the SoLs must stand outside, getting pounded by the batteries.

• Like 7

This will only be solved by shoals and reefs in the port battle instances. Imagine a fort that is surrounded by shoals. A smaller ship can approach and lie beneath the guns safely, but the SoLs must stand outside, getting pounded by the batteries.

Problem being of course is that if you start a shallow water PB now, you're probably going to have your Brig  fleet intercepted by a dozen Trincs.

why shouldn't PB's be more inclusive...a role could be given to 5th and 6th rates...your response to this thread is exactly what the OP is talking about.

Edited by SirLeggit
  • Like 1

Personally, I much prefer the play style of 5th rates (Frigate and Trinco are so fun) and would love if they were more useful. It's a very delicate system that needs to be touched but edited gradually and well thought out.

i think something like this would be epic: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12020-redefining-deepshallow-ports/

confusing and hard , but epic:)

Yeah something like this would be a pretty great idea indeed.

Do agree on the subject; things need to change. Lately the only kind of ships you see are '3rd rate' ships in dw port battles.

I do enjoy the bigger ships (frigates) quite a lot, but as a newbie i never participated a lot in PvP, based on this reason: low level ships don't fit in port battles, only for screening - which isn't close to the real experience -.

Why would you send a couple of cutters to a port battle if the max. ship allowed could be a merc?

Should definitely change in the future when more ships are added.

Could possibly make some kind of mix between a couple of rates in one port battle and not only min. this ship and max. that ship. At some point a lot of cpts will own a santi or victory or any kind of max. level ship and sail these into port battles instead of the other ships. They will be 'abandoned' for PvP purposes, only good for a 'trash' ship if you want to go screening or smth. For example, a couple of games have a 'maximum amount of soldiers/medics/...'. This could possible be a good idea to start from but i don't like the idea of limiting rates... To keep it realistic, certain ships should still be allowed so the enemy could show its overwhelming force and win because they are... stronger!

Next up: people are complaining about the 'grinding' part (or atleast were complaining). This could possibly reduce this effect as well; because a lot of lower rate ships won't be as useless as they are now. I did not bother sailing a brig, why? Because other captains told me it was bad and should not be sailed. The value of a ship should be increased again. I don't keep my old ships; i sell them to other players (rarely - mostly break them up or sell them to the NPC). I would never craft them again for my own purposes because i only want higher rate ships - to participate in PvP, PvE,... but it is a shame that a trinco, frigate,... will be a rare sight in port battles - PvP. Especially if the dominant clans will keep on forcing the lower rate ships to not participate in port battles. I do understand why - it is just a shame that newbies can't keep up with the phase because others have a much higher rank, etc. It is well deserved but everyone should have a fair chance in port battles.

Changing the ship requirements for port battles will promote crafting and a player driven economy. Clans only craft the best ships for themselves and put some 'trash' models on sale if possible. Meanwhile i have 250+ hours of gameplay and i rarely see a trinco for sale (a decent one). Why? We're in the 3rd rate era already. A trinco is valued as useless, for port battles - so i won't even bother sailing one into PvP, because i can't craft it, can't buy it from other players and it is rather useless in this era -. It will affect the open world, the PvP experience and the economy/crafting.

Think the slots in port battles need to be split up for example x number for 1-2-3 rates and some slots for smaller ships.

The way it is now lower ranking players are being ask´d not to join port battles and that´s will have a negative effects on game.

That's an imperfect solution, too, as it requires a lot more haggling on the part of the people conducting the port battle. Now instead of bringing 25 people in their heaviest ships, you have to make sure you have the proper mix, which is going to be a big hassle between multiple guilds and potential outsiders "taking up slots".

The current port battle system should really only control something lesser, like if you win the battle you destroy the port's reinforcement window. Flipping the port's control is some totally different mechanic.

The game is already become meaningless to new players.  Weeks on end without a PVP.  I have been playing for over 4 weeks and have been able to make it into 1 port defensive battle before it closed.  The secret factors in this game are not conducive to having players stay with the game.