Game-Labs Forum

1st and 2nd rates not in shops...

Is there any reason why these aren't available in ports? The biggest ship I've seen for sale in ports is the Constitution. At this point, even on US PVE server, our clan is chock full of captains a few flag captains and we even have a few commodores that are either having to settle on captured 3rd Rates or Connies to fight in. Mostly because our crafting is such slow going...our highest level crafter just got the Trincom BP earlier in the week.

a few of you just reconfirmed what i already said...what im saying is let the NPCs sell basic non-upgradable 1st and 2nd rates. They're shit quality compared to the capturable ships. a basic gray teak santi is garbage on paper compared to a captured blue live oak 3rd rate.

Im just asking for an opportunity to be able to give these bigger ships a test drive before I throw down on an exceptional.

its already too much, there should not be anything higher then frigate/bellepoule in shop or capturable

and then majority of people would never get to sail anything bigger than those ships either

crafters dont have the labor hours to waste on crafting puny ships for random players

they need em all for crafting first rates for clan people

and then majority of people would never get to sail anything bigger than those ships either

crafters dont have the labor hours to waste on crafting puny ships for random players

they need em all for crafting first rates for clan people

You realise that crafters have to build those ships in order to reach the higher levels? And if everybody needs those ships then people will build them. With only one Durability on a 1st Rate a Thirs Rate with 3 looks a whole lot cheaper in comparison if you couldn't capture them.

We already see Bellonas being crafted and used.

I don't agree at all that the higher ranked ships need to be player built. That only enforces this silly notion that bigger is always better and that ships should get rarer and rarer the larger they get.

That simply wasn't the case back then though. A much more realistic way of looking at it would be that ships back then came in two major categories: The ships of the line which were ships built for fighting other nations, and the frigates and smaller ships which were used to police a nation's waters and secure its trade.

All these systems that try to make large ships difficult to obtain only serve to legitimize imbalance and one sided design. It doesn't do anything to actually give every ship a vital role, it just tries to make "being cheap" into a role, like anyone wants to play the game to be the master of mid tier garbage. 

• Like 2

Frankly I wouldn't allow 4th rates or above to be captured, should only be player built.

What if you capture a 4th Rate thats been built by another player and take it home as a prize ship?

Bellonas? Hell, a little birdie tells me that the Brits on PvP1 already have 3 Victory's.

Edited by Tindahbawx

What if you capture a 4th Rate thats been built by another player and take it home as a prize ship?

Bellonas? Hell, a little birdie tells me that the Brits on PvP1 already have 3 Victory's.

Capping player ship - not a problem, should be allowed as per current status, just remove capping NPCs

Victorys - good! If they have managed to get crafters up to that level already and pump out 1st rates (with captains to fully crew them) then I'm impressed. Now you just have to try and capture them, only 1 Dura remember.

Victorys - good! If they have managed to get crafters up to that level already and pump out 1st rates (with captains to fully crew them) then I'm impressed. Now you just have to try and capture them, only 1 Dura remember.

The problem there is that RNGesus hasn't blessed any of our factions crafters with even a 2nd Rate Blue Print yet, despite having been churning out the ships when able.

Can't be helped though, at least the daft RNG Blueprint drop system is getting dropped with the next big patch, moving to a level based system instead.

The problem there is that RNGesus hasn't blessed any of our factions crafters with even a 2nd Rate Blue Print yet, despite having been churning out the ships when able.

Can't be helped though, at least the daft RNG Blueprint drop system is getting dropped with the next big patch, moving to a level based system instead.

Yeah, while I don't mind the current system the new one is 'fairer'. 

Unitl then hit lots of PBs as they can drop from those as well from what I hear.

You realise that crafters have to build those ships in order to reach the higher levels? And if everybody needs those ships then people will build them. With only one Durability on a 1st Rate a Thirs Rate with 3 looks a whole lot cheaper in comparison if you couldn't capture them.

you realise the amount of ships comming onto the market from leveling crafters is pitifully small? and of dubious quality?

a 3rd rate is attractive compared to a 1st rate no denying that

but why the hell would a leveld crafter waste his valulable hours crafting a custom order for some random low lvl dude he doesent know that wants a surprise or trinco rather than pumping 3rd rate and above as hard as they will go?

Edited by drogoran

you realise the amount of ships comming onto the market from leveling crafters is pitifully small? and of dubious quality?

but why the hell would a leveld crafter waste his valulable hours crafting a custom order for some random low lvl dude he doesent know that wants a surprise or trinco rather than pumping 3rd rate and above as hard as they will go?

Supply and demand? If nobody is building trincs then the price will rocket, if everybody is building thirds the price will crash, so you can blast out a trinc to make a tidy profit.

If you want to win shallow water ports you will also need to have exceptional quality shallow water ships (merc/navy brig or niagara if it becomes craftable). With the new land maps coming in what if there are channels that a large 3rd or above would struggle to navigate through, you might see more frigates involved then when Trinco or Belle will come into their own.

$$$

If crafters aren't charging for labor hours, that is their problem.

• Like 1

a few of you just reconfirmed what i already said...what im saying is let the NPCs sell basic non-upgradable 1st and 2nd rates. They're shit quality compared to the capturable ships. a basic gray teak santi is garbage on paper compared to a captured blue live oak 3rd rate.

Im just asking for an opportunity to be able to give these bigger ships a test drive before I throw down on an exceptional.

They're not shit quality. They can appear in the shop without any quirks, or even green quirks, which puts them _way_ ahead of a player crafted basic ship with two grey quirks that act as a penalty.

e.g. a Crew Space (Grey) ship will have 95% crew, a green one will have 101%.

Another issue is that you can simply play the BP lottery by buying these ships en masse and then breaking them up. They're cheap enough to do this. It's certainly cheaper to do this with constitutions than to craft basic trincs, and a whole lot faster. IMO NPCs should exclusively sell common ships (Cerberus, Frigate, Brig and Snows), and -maybe- mercuries and surprises. Certainly not Constitutions.

It's also bad enough that you can capture Mastercrafted Third Rates. This really diminishes the value of a build third rate with a mere three durability.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 2

$$$

If crafters aren't charging for labor hours, that is their problem.

wat?

normaly my craft friend has us non crafters craft all the components and save all his hours for the ship itself

he aint got labor hours to waste on crafting ships for the random pub players they all go to leveling his crafting and suplying us with the ships needed for pvp

and i very much doubt there is enuf solo crafters around to supply the entire playerbase

Edited by drogoran

wat?

normaly my craft friend has us non crafters craft all the components and save all his hours for the ship itself

he aint got labor hours to waste on crafting ships for the random pub players they all go to leveling his crafting and suplying us with the ships needed for pvp

and i very much doubt there is enuf solo crafters around to supply the entire playerbase

He's trading his crafting hours for your crafting hours. Since it takes more hours to prepare a ship than it takes to actually build the ship, he's coming out ahead in that exchange.

And given how hard it is to find  solvent demand for the ship you want to make (BP lottery) I'd rather waste my crafting hours on a basic ship instead of bothering to look for someone for hours to pay me for it. That probably includes Trincs.

never.