Game-Labs Forum

Game Introduction

once combat is awesome and fun - trade will come easier. Economy is a very big design block and we have not started working on it yet.

Short version - we are thinking of taking best elements from SWG and Eve and suiting them to Naval Action.

Well, I was interested in this game purley for the age of sail combat... then I read these words. As a gamer who is still bitter about NGE and who has played EvE since '05.... To say I'm excited is an understatment!

One question I would ask, do you have any ideas floating about on how you will handle nation balance? This is something that spoiled PotBS imo, as it caused alot of players (myself included) to have to level another char on a different nation in order to get decent RvR balance. This sort of thing should not be in the hands of the players!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was interested in this game purley for the age of sail combat... then I read these words. As a gamer who is still bitter about NGE and who has played EvE since '05.... To say I'm excited is an understatment!

One question I would ask, do you have any ideas floating about on how you will handle nation balance? This is something that spoiled PotBS imo, as it caused alot of players (myself included) to have to level another char on a different nation in order to get decent RvR balance. This sort of thing should not be in the hands of the players!

I'm not sure how they would implement it but I do tend to agree with you. As one of the many PotBS players on here I understand that was a major problem. Even when they added bonuses for creating characters in the low pop nations it didn't grab enough people. So yeah, some sort of balance needs to be put into place. Unfortunately people will be none too pleased if you just lock a nation so they have to join the under-pop ones.

------

As for economy. Bring it on. As a large player of X3 Terran Conflic and Albion Prelude I want a trading empire dag-nabbit! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how they would implement it but I do tend to agree with you. As one of the many PotBS players on here I understand that was a major problem. Even when they added bonuses for creating characters in the low pop nations it didn't grab enough people. So yeah, some sort of balance needs to be put into place. Unfortunately people will be none too pleased if you just lock a nation so they have to join the under-pop ones.

------

As for economy. Bring it on. As a large player of X3 Terran Conflic and Albion Prelude I want a trading empire dag-nabbit! :D

Aye I agree there, I don’t think nation locking is in anyway the answer. I don’t have any solid ideas as to how balance could be achieved without such draconian measures however. Hence me wondering if the devs had any thoughts on this subject as I honestly think its going to be a major issue if its not addressed at all.

FLS tried to do something about it months after the game launched, I hope that mistake will not be repeated here!

Aye I agree there, I don’t think nation locking is in anyway the answer. I don’t have any solid ideas as to how balance could be achieved without such draconian measures however. Hence me wondering if the devs had any thoughts on this subject as I honestly think its going to be a major issue if its not addressed at all.

One thought I had was that each nation might only support a set number of navy warships (assuming the nation itself supplies or at least pays for its navy), meaning in a high population nation there would be a lot of competition for the best ships, where in low population it would be much easier to get a good ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely in! Up to 150$ <3

Sad they can't Kickstarter if they are from Russia (?)

I'm pretty sure Game Labs HQ is in Kiev, Ukraine. That's what it says on the contacts page anyway. Not sure if Kick-starter is open to Ukraine, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear producers

Today I have found your game in the web, and I must say.....soooo much beautiful!!!!.  A dream comes true. I wish you all a lucky hand in forming this game.

I am sure this game can be a hit.

Hope to see more Information in the future.

Good luck, peace and healthy.

FLS tried to do something about it months after the game launched, I hope that mistake will not be repeated here!

Well. We know for sure that majority of players will want to go Britain or become Pirates. This is a given. 

Pirates issue is solved easily by the mechanics we already discussed in several Piracy topics.

Controlling country numbers is not as easy. 

There are basically 3 options

1) Focus on player guilds and companies, ignoring countries, that will only provide limited content (research, blueprints, buildings in ports and trading etc).

2) Provide welfare

3) Hard lock. You can be a British National - but Royal Navy is not accepting any more applications. 

Well believe it or not I only found out about this game to a Facebook add that randomly popped up no my facebook page.. I almost dismissed it thinking it was just a browser based game or something. Well glad I decided to come and check it out this game looks awesome and the features the devs are talking about sound great.

Like others I can not wait to see more of this game and of course maybe help towards funding when you guys are ready for Kickstarter or something similar :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well. We know for sure that majority of players will want to go Britain or become Pirates. This is a given. 

Pirates issue is solved easily by the mechanics we already discussed in several Piracy topics.

1) Focus on player guilds and companies, ignoring countries, that will only provide limited content (research, blueprints, buildings in ports and trading etc).

2) Provide welfare

3) Hard lock. You can be a British National - but Royal Navy is not accepting any more applications. 

I have to agree with Anunzi, hard lock country is not the answer and in all likelihood you will be limiting your players.

Could you have player a combo of guilds and companies and countries?

What I mean is this. Lets say the British Naval Action Company - BNAC (and Guild?) opens business in Great Britain. That British guild would then have am initial limit lock on the quantity and type of ships. Then based upon how much trading it does it would reach new levels

Example"

1. The fictional company BNAC starts off with an allowance for up to say 10 ships (arbitrary number) and limited type.

2. Once they have carried x tons of cargo then then are eligible for another 5 (again arbitrary) and increased types of ships

3. Once they have carried y tons they are then eligible to open an office in another country, say  France -

This would give BNAC the ability to add another 10 ships that are owned by the British company BNAC but are registered in France, and again open access to more types of ships.

Or instead of opening new offices in new countries they are opened in new ports which would be of the same country. So BNAC opens its doors at port x, next upgrade it can open a new office in port y, still a British owned port.

You would want to make each port have differing advantages, perhaps the starting limit of ships, perhaps the types or perhaps the size of available warehouses...

If everyone want to be part of a British company then so be it. Leave the overall country ship count limitless, limit by Company and their Ports...

Just an idea from a FNG, apologize if this has already been discussed/ suggested in another thread . :)

I have to agree with Anunzi, hard lock country is not the answer and in all likelihood you will be limiting your players.

Could you have player a combo of guilds and companies and countries?

What I mean is this. Lets say the British Naval Action Company - BNAC (and Guild?) opens business in Great Britain. That British guild would then have am initial limit lock on the quantity and type of ships. Then based upon how much trading it does it would reach new levels

Example"

1. The fictional company BNAC starts off with an allowance for up to say 10 ships (arbitrary number) and limited type.

2. Once they have carried x tons of cargo then then are eligible for another 5 (again arbitrary) and increased types of ships

3. Once they have carried y tons they are then eligible to open an office in another country, say  France -

This would give BNAC the ability to add another 10 ships that are owned by the British company BNAC but are registered in France, and again open access to more types of ships.

Or instead of opening new offices in new countries they are opened in new ports which would be of the same country. So BNAC opens its doors at port x, next upgrade it can open a new office in port y, still a British owned port.

You would want to make each port have differing advantages, perhaps the starting limit of ships, perhaps the types or perhaps the size of available warehouses...

If everyone want to be part of a British company then so be it. Leave the overall country ship count limitless, limit by Company and their Ports...

Just an idea from a FNG, apologize if this has already been discussed/ suggested in another thread . :)

This actually sounds amazing! This will probably balance it pretty well..

However once a Guild(?) is strong it keeps growing exponentially, how do you think other smaller guilds can counter that? there economy will be worthless pretty fast

2) Provide welfare

I am also pretty sure most people want to play britain, but i cant agree with your statement britain or pirates

If other nationalities are interesting enough then people will certainly choose for those, i would love to play as a dutch merchantman!(yes i am dutch :D)

ps. sorry for my bad english :)

The only thing I hope is in your game is. If you have port battles and the players go into the port or fort I hope that the fort could shoot at the ships and vise-versa ,till they or the fort is destroyed or they move off . The strength of the fort depends on its level of development same as the level of the ships and if you want realism this is part of it .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can I just share how excited I am for this game... I stumbled here by accident, I'm a longtime fan of Darthmod, picked up UGG, and found NA. I was ****ing bricks. I am a huge nautical geek, I am a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian (the only movie I own on BluRay is Master and Commander), and I can't believe this game is happening. This is the game I've been waiting for my whole life. I mean you actually have to trim the yards to tack and wear... I CAN'T WAIT

• Like 4

Can I just share how excited I am for this game... I stumbled here by accident, I'm a longtime fan of Darthmod, picked up UGG, and found NA. I was ****ing bricks. I am a huge nautical geek, I am a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian (the only movie I own on BluRay is Master and Commander), and I can't believe this game is happening. This is the game I've been waiting for my whole life. I mean you actually have to trim the yards to tack and wear... I CAN'T WAIT

It is a great game!

• Like 1