Game-Labs Forum

[PvP2] Vive La France

Slamz

Fair enough. The majority of our fleets are above cerbs, in contrast the french fleet is primarily at a cerb or lower level. 

In regards to Slamz comments: 

I see a lot of anger and resentment in your post, but I'll try to tackle as many points as I can. It should be noted that we most likely have diffrent views on how events went down so everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

1.  In regards to my comment about sinking you. This was a clear taunt on my part, and mostly do to a bit of resentment about the inaccuracy of your original post, and your comment about the french having high moral. Which if true is rather impressive, considering the opposition you face from us and the British.

2. In regards to your comment about having fought [FC] and there inability to deal with you. This is factually untrue, during the first several days [FC] was working out of the SE many of our players were still making the journey south and you were able to win several small engagement, for which I give you credit. However I do distinctly remember your group engaging us outside our port with I believe 9 ships of the line including cerbs. During this engagement I distinctly remember a solely [FC] fleet sinking all 9 ships. After which you resorted to engaging our players attempting to mission and make trade runs during down times, and running from any major fights.

3. Trust me when the call went out over the TS that our flag carrier DC'd and our other one got flipped we were seriously pissed. I think that was the closest I personally have come to rage-quiting.

Not sure if I can comment on too much more, without divulging important intel. Also my lunch brake is almost over, and I need to get back to work.

I don't have anything against you, just got a bit salty as it were. 

With Love,

They Call Me Mr. Tibbs

I'm sure if we ever sat down and were able to have a chat over comms we'd probably be friends or at least hate each other a little less. :P

You claim the French are now full of rage for posting about victorious battles against the pirates, and in the same post admit that you yourself almost rage-quit because of one of those French victories?  Someone needs to check their own saltiness.  This whole topic has been very revealing about the mindset of the pirates. Running from even engagements, losing in uneven ones where you greatly outnumber the enemy....then accusing others of being full of rage....classic.  

• Like 1

While I would enjoy to continue discussing this, I'm not much for written debate. Especially with some of the more "salty" community members jumping in. If you ever want to talk about these matters further, feel free to pm on the forums or in-game and I'll send you my skype info and we can have a chat. Not trying to ignore you, I'm just better at oral debate.

It honestly was a good fight, wasn't trying to dis you in that post. In your situation we probably would have retreated as well. I was simply providing a pirates perspective on the situation. We believed you'd rage-quit as we didn't see any defenders at the other battles during the evening.

It honestly was a good fight, wasn't trying to dis you in that post. In your situation we probably would have retreated as well. I was simply providing a pirates perspective on the situation. We believed you'd rage-quit as we didn't see any defenders at the other battles during the evening.

Aye that it was! We take no offense to the words of scallywags, and quite honestly, it's refreshing seeing a pirate or privateer in these waters who can write!

I left to sleep personally as I am in Europe so cannot say for sure. I have a feeling if I know my squadron made their way north when the opportunity presented itself and felt it would be a fruitless endeavor trying to defend those ports under strength through not only a heavy 25 ship invasion fleet, but the large fleet that would probable be roaming outside.

Perhaps we'll have a few good whacks at each other again soon, hopefully we'll present each other with a fair challenge!

Slamz, on 16 Feb 2016 - 3:33 PM, said:

For my part, I fully expect everyone to summon all the reinforcements they can, as best as they can figure how to time it, to maximum effect and fight or flee as seems best at the time. No sense fighting 7:1 if you can avoid it, and it's not like 6 NPC allies are anywhere near as useful or dangerous as 6 players.

Oh.. you should probably work on that...
NGvDIur.png
I'll upload the video later.

Edited by Cauldronborn

Oh.. you should probably work on that...

That battle is exactly what I had in mind when I said it. Plus it shows that there is little reason to stay and fight when outnumbered by pirates -- if you run away 8v1 they will cry about it but if you stay and fight they will actually brag that they beat you 8v1.

That battle was probably the closest thing you got to real PvP all day.

In other news....

War News Update

Last night the pirates attacked Pedernales and Saint-Pierre with 25 pirates at each port. From what I heard (from the pirates), they have officially abandoned the Bahamas and are moving en masse to the southeast corner of the map now. They are going to zerg out the French, British and Dutch down there in roughly that order and you can join them or fight to the death about it.

We French choose to fight to the death about it.

(Although if some French choose to relocate to Louisiana, pirates can hardly mock them for it now. They are doing the same thing: relocating their entire team after being unable or unwilling to fight against an invading zerg force. [PURGE] is not interested in relocating and we will continue to harass the pirates. They really get angry when you jump into their missions.)

Pirates lost the battle for Pedernales (25 pirates vs 16 French) but won the battle for Saint-Pierre (25 pirates vs..... 8 French?? I don't remember, as I got there right at the end. Most everyone who could answer the call had gone to Pedernales.)

Tomorrow we expect the zerg guilds to attack a couple more ports and we'll just have to hold what we can, as we did last night.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 3

The pirates decision to split up after the tower was destroyed was a huge mistake.  Many of their ships were really messed up from tower fire and the close range broadsides from the French defending it.  We were able to pick off many pirates as they left the tower.    When the battle ended the french still held their ground and we were victorious.  They wasted time sailing upwind taking potshots at extreme range.  

I'm being 100% honest here. Very few of the pirates had any interest in the 2-3 islands around Fort Royal. I really wish we could of come up with a deal that mattered. The simple truth is SIN/FC/BSO wanted the south east along the South American coast. So we couldn't hand you that. Nor would we drive the British out for you and hand the ports over to you. Why do that when we have the power to take it in the first place? Additionally if we'd taken land from the Dutch. It would of been out of reach of realistic support range from Camp Du Roy. Whereas the land in the southeast is not. While I admit the deal wasn't ideal for the French. Why should we offer better considering we don't care about the US/Bahamas and we outgun you? The stronger nation naturally dictates terms.

Instead we're going to have to grind the french into dust in the south east. A real shame since I have a lot of respect for Purge's skills slamz. You're just a terrible troll. Or at least the Pirates perceive you as such and are currently choosing to kill you on sight. Regardless of zerg tactics or not.

You keep claiming we'll just steamroll the Dutch. Which is patently not true. Think of this in realistic terms. People are Pirates because they want the element of being attacked anywhere at anytime. Though we also need a stable base of operations in order to build ships and make money (pirates are a nation under the current mechanics). Therefore once a nest of ports to base from are created we need a place to roam. The Dutch offer that opportunity. If we take their ports away. The PVP would dry up. Additionally if you talk grand strategy the Dutch are a buffer against the much larger threat posed by the main British front. Which is also why the pirates would prefer to not grind the Dutch into dust.

We need both Dutch and French ships in the area for random PVP.

You can hate us all you want for being larger, stronger and smarter. We pee'd in your cheerios and ruined your expansion plans. So sad. Get over it and either get with the dynamic or be squeezed out into freeports. Maybe the devs will transfer your capital for you like they are for the Spanish on PVP1.

The pirates decision to split up after the tower was destroyed was a huge mistake.  Many of their ships were really messed up from tower fire and the close range broadsides from the French defending it.  We were able to pick off many pirates as they left the tower.    When the battle ended the french still held their ground and we were victorious.  They wasted time sailing upwind taking potshots at extreme range.  

That is the same mistake that occur'd during the kingsport battle. Oh well the southern boys were there to learn that lesson then.

The more time you waste with us, the stronger the US and Brits get. Congrats you'll eventually get that "safe" spot in the corner. By the time you get your shipbuilding and econ stable you'll be alone with the stronger nations having even longer time in thier safe areas.

PURGE ain't leaving so even though you outnumber us. You'll always have to deal with us.

Good luck with your hidey hole strategy. You better hope the Brits don't setup shop soon. We can pretend it's the invasion of France in WW2.

Eventually the devs will reset the map, because you know this is alpha, and you guys can come practice your braving running away from your capital again.

Edited by Dharus

I'm being 100% honest here. Very few of the pirates had any interest in the 2-3 islands around Fort Royal. I really wish we could of come up with a deal that mattered. The simple truth is SIN/FC/BSO wanted the south east along the South American coast. So we couldn't hand you that. Nor would we drive the British out for you and hand the ports over to you. Why do that when we have the power to take it in the first place? Additionally if we'd taken land from the Dutch. It would of been out of reach of realistic support range from Camp Du Roy. Whereas the land in the southeast is not. While I admit the deal wasn't ideal for the French. Why should we offer better considering we don't care about the US/Bahamas and we outgun you? The stronger nation naturally dictates terms.

Instead we're going to have to grind the french into dust in the south east. A real shame since I have a lot of respect for Purge's skills slamz. You're just a terrible troll. Or at least the Pirates perceive you as such and are currently choosing to kill you on sight. Regardless of zerg tactics or not.

You keep claiming we'll just steamroll the Dutch. Which is patently not true. Think of this in realistic terms. People are Pirates because they want the element of being attacked anywhere at anytime. Though we also need a stable base of operations in order to build ships and make money (pirates are a nation under the current mechanics). Therefore once a nest of ports to base from are created we need a place to roam. The Dutch offer that opportunity. If we take their ports away. The PVP would dry up. Additionally if you talk grand strategy the Dutch are a buffer against the much larger threat posed by the main British front. Which is also why the pirates would prefer to not grind the Dutch into dust.

We need both Dutch and French ships in the area for random PVP.

You can hate us all you want for being larger, stronger and smarter. We pee'd in your cheerios and ruined your expansion plans. So sad. Get over it and either get with the dynamic or be squeezed out into freeports. Maybe the devs will transfer your capital for you like they are for the Spanish on PVP1.

Okay, let's have some no B.S. realtalk.

When I first went down to Cano Macareo to scout it out for a low level training area, I was there for 2 whole nights and saw exactly 1 Dutch player and 1 pirate. The place was totally empty of players. [PURGE] moved down with about 8 people and then [FC] showed up to start fighting us. The Brits (2 small clans that play in different time zones) had been more interested in the Saint George area so didn't come down that far and the other French weren't very interested at first. Eventually we coaxed more French down to join us because [FC] wasn't that numerous at the time and we wanted to push them out and then the Brits.

That was some good PvP.

Now, though, you have brought what appears to be the entire Pirate team into an area where there is not going to be nearly enough people to fight. I already suggested to the other French leaders that we hold off on port battle attacks because there's hardly a point in attacking a pirate port that they could bring literally 50 people to defend, inside and out -- more players than France has online in total.

Yes, we can go out and pick off pirates 1 by 1 in their missions, which is plenty fun for us, but on the whole you are leading the pirate team into death by entropy. There are not enough enemies down there for this many pirates to fight. Almost all of the northern port battles have been "PvTower" as the pirates just end up fighting mostly empty battles.

You are literally boring your team to death.

And it's only going to get worse.

You ran away from the major PvP zone because I enraged you so much that you let emotion dictate strategy. That is why I said your plan was stupid. You are killing the pirate team in a way I could have never done with cannonballs alone.

In summary,

EdgCHTx.png

That is the same mistake that occur'd during the kingsport battle. Oh well the southern boys were there to learn that lesson then.

It was actually very different.   At Kingstown two towers were never destroyed.  We kept the pirates away from the towers.   At Perdenales, they pirates got under the tower, but couldn't survive long enough to win the battle because most the french were still alive.

I'm being 100% honest here. Very few of the pirates had any interest in the 2-3 islands around Fort Royal. I really wish we could of come up with a deal that mattered. The simple truth is SIN/FC/BSO wanted the south east along the South American coast. So we couldn't hand you that. Nor would we drive the British out for you and hand the ports over to you. Why do that when we have the power to take it in the first place?

All excellent points.

Then why try to make a deal with us? The answer is you wanted us off your back so you could finish the Brits off with out French in the way. You could deal with us at your pleasure once the Brits were gone. We knew the score based on what you offered and how you offered it.  

Again so we are clear the deal was we give you French ports and we were free to go take someone else's ports. I am glad we can all agree that is not a good deal for the French.  

So in the future hopefully this will let your leadership know when making deals with other teams, if you are serious about a deal bring something to the table you are willing to offer in return for what you want.

You have the power to take what you want so just take it and don't waste peoples time playing diplomacy games your leadership is not very good at.

The French aren't leaving the Antillies and running off to New Orleans. Once you finish off the French ports the French will show you how real Pirates work and how your team should have handled the Bahamas. This game can be played without Ports and we look forward to the challenge of showing you how.  

At this point on PVP2 all nations should just start calling the French team Pirates!

It was actually very different.   At Kingstown two towers were never destroyed.  We kept the pirates away from the towers.   At Perdenales, they pirates got under the tower, but couldn't survive long enough to win the battle because most the french were still alive.

Incorrect 2 towers did go down at kingstown. After the first tower we received an order to turn and fight the 3-4 french to the rear. Which put us in bad wind. Then dicked around with the wind for 15 minutes before i got fed up with it and demanded a dive to the middle. At which point people focused more on the ships than the towers. Otherwise we could of finished off the 3rd  as we passed and if the pirates had stayed closer to 4. It would of died as well. Instead we allowed ourselves to be pushed away from 4 never to return.

In either case not staying on course and allowing the wind to shift caused a loss.

Incorrect 2 towers did go down at kingstown. After the first tower we received an order to turn and fight the 3-4 french to the rear. Which put us in bad wind. Then dicked around with the wind for 15 minutes before i got fed up with it and demanded a dive to the middle. At which point people focused more on the ships than the towers. Otherwise we could of finished off the 3rd  as we passed and if the pirates had stayed closer to 4. It would of died as well. Instead we allowed ourselves to be pushed away from 4 never to return.

In either case not staying on course and allowing the wind to shift caused a loss.

You misunderstand.  At Kingstown you guys destroyed 3/5 towers and lost because what you just described.  At Perdenales pirates destroyed 3/3 towers, but still lost because they scattered in all directions after the last tower fell, and many wounded ships were picked off.  That is the main difference.  

When I first went down to Cano Macareo to scout it out for a low level training area, I was there for 2 whole nights and saw exactly 1 Dutch player and 1 pirate. The place was totally empty of players. [PURGE] moved down with about 8 people and then [FC] showed up to start fighting us. The Brits (2 small clans that play in different time zones) had been more interested in the Saint George area so didn't come down that far and the other French weren't very interested at first. Eventually we coaxed more French down to join us because [FC] wasn't that numerous at the time and we wanted to push them out and then the Brits.

That was some good PvP.

Now, though, you have brought what appears to be the entire Pirate team into an area where there is not going to be nearly enough people to fight. I already suggested to the other French leaders that we hold off on port battle attacks because there's hardly a point in attacking a pirate port that they could bring literally 50 people to defend, inside and out -- more players than France has online in total.

Yes, we can go out and pick off pirates 1 by 1 in their missions, which is plenty fun for us, but on the whole you are leading the pirate team into death by entropy. There are not enough enemies down there for this many pirates to fight. Almost all of the northern port battles have been "PvTower" as the pirates just end up fighting mostly empty battles.

You are literally boring your team to death.

I'll concede the southeast wasn't a priority until additional pirate units made the pilgrimage. It has become so now... Themz the breaks. I'll even concede that there is risk of longer term stagnation, but that isn't a threat yet. France/GB/Dutch/Sweds/Danish are still in the area. Plus teleportation is always an option for a day of murder and plunder.

CF doesn't have any vested interest in the southeast. We're there to assist because we were asked and it's nice to have friendlies near by. Camp Du Roy is our home however. That wont change.

In classic French style. Ya'll are acting like your already defeated. If thats the case just roll over and stop putting up a fight and get it over with already.

In classic French style. Ya'll are acting like your already defeated. If thats the case just roll over and stop putting up a fight and get it over with already.

Defeated?  No.

Being realistic that we likely will be facing 15 vs 50 every night for the foreseeable future and therefore needing to be creative in our plans?  Yes.

• Like 2

....ok obliterati. You took our strongest 3 islands unopposed. You can muster 2, maybe 3 full port battle forces against our 1. You can attack multiple ports at once. You and I both know that unless the pirates continue to play badly, and make poir strategic decisions in port battles we do muster some kind of force in...the purates have the numbers and the superior ships to steamroll us....like you did with the northern isles. Its not defeatism to say that we will fight you to the last port, then continue fighting you when only our capital still stands. Winston Churchill once made an entire speech saying the same thing back in WWII.

I find it curious you make fun of us for those reasons when, in reality, youve described the pirate attittude instead. We are at least attempting to preserve our ports. You are giving yours up and running as far away as you can get from your enemy.

• Like 2

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

-Winston Churchill, 1940

• Like 1

It seems the classic Pirate strategy, so far, to tell people not to PvP them in a PvP game.  Not fight?  What else are we going to do? craft? lol

You have the power to take what you want so just take it and don't waste peoples time playing diplomacy games your leadership is not very good at.

I think this sums it up nicely. I really didn't see the point in attending that second meeting with the pirates on teamspeak. It was absolutely a waste of everyone's time, as I knew it would be after the first discussion, with the pirates offering completely transparent deals that favored nobody but them. Now they will have to spend a few million gold attacking French ports they have no actual use for and will likely end up abandoning. Eventually one of the bigger teams will realize there are no more pirates near them and will come looking for the pirates, who are now going to be in a much weaker position.

If I played as a pirate, I would be looking for ways to either jump teams or at least find new leaders right now. I assume the smart ones are still off to the west, though, probably having a lot more fun, playing like actual pirates, in an area where there is more to do than sit around and hope someone from France materializes.

You really aren't very good at this, are you. I can't tell if you're just really bad at trolling or if you actually meant it and really hope people stop giving you PvP.

As a self-appointed pirate leader, coming across as someone who doesn't want to PvP and hopes his enemies go away doesn't seem like a good position to take. You want to look like a strong leader to the pirates but you're looking a bit....limp.

Like Vllad said, keep it coming. In the end, The Purge will show you what real piracy is. It's not about dragging zerglings into empty corners to PvE, but actually hunting solos, killing traders and ganking mission runners and then scuttling off to different areas just as your enemies have finally assembled their heavy fleets to fight you.

You will find that the real pirates here are currently playing as the French.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 2

Wow Slamz your ability to delude yourself is astounding. That comment references what you are ALL saying. That you'll end up with a single capital port and that is it. If you don't want that to happen then fight. Cause the simple fact is to win a defense all you need is half a fleet.

What i also find funny is that you have this romanticized view of how Pirates should be and not how they are in reality. Wake up and smell the roses.

1. Shallow water ports are useless to anyone who sails a Cerb or better.

2. Pirates are currently implemented as a nation state.

3. Racial traits are not in the game. Therefore true underdog fighting reliant on captures (a pirates bread in butter when no economy exists) cannot occur.

4. strategically being sandwiched between 2 superior size forces in water no one wants is stupid. Not smart as you seem to want to imply.

5. Positioning your base of operations outside of enemy strike range is strategically sound.

6. If the US or Brits attempt to overextend their resources past Mortimers town and head to the east. It creates an opportunity in their rear. Therefore it becomes strategically impossible to squeeze the pirates completely out. Whereas if we had not moved east. we'd be in the same exact position the Eastern French are now. Since both Le Moule and Aves would be French and/or Dutch/Swedish by now.

The pirates are becoming stronger with a much better strategic positioning for longer term warfare against the US and Brits precisely because we moved East. Calling our leadership stupid just because you aren't getting your way. Doesn't change the fact that we're in a much better position now than ever before. Though it would help if we had strategic alliances with our neighbors. Since we'll need to pass through their waters to hit the British. IF we don't have that. It'll just take longer before we're able to bring the fight back to the brits and US.

Though i would like to see changes in how pirates are implemented precisely because Pirates should be the random element in national wars. I'm not sure how that will happen but right now we're a nation. Albeit a nation with significant disadvantages compared to a full nation state. So feel free to bitch and moan about this fact, but we aren't going away.

Also as a historical side note... The reason the pirates were in the Bahamas in the first place was because no one gave a rats ass about it. It has no economic value. They also couldn't get a larger naval vessel into the area to maintain order. When they finally did move in and wipe out the pirates it didn't take much. Pirates were a sorry bunch, but for this game they need to be a fairly powerful entity.