Game-Labs Forum

[PvP2] Vive La France

Slamz

Its drama. Its content that no dev, no game maker on any level can plan on, but when it does come. OH BABY its like the mother lode. It makes me jealous and forces me to create another character on this server to get in on the action when no-one is online on EU1, because man... you cant pass up this kind of juicy fun.

• Like 3

Its drama. Its content that no dev, no game maker on any level can plan on, but when it does come. OH BABY its like the mother lode. It makes me jealous and forces me to create another character on this server to get in on the action when no-one is online on EU1, because man... you cant pass up this kind of juicy fun.

Yeah, this is part of why we've been telling our other old guildies to come try this game. I dunno if they'll all like ship battles, but this game really does bring something to the table that other games lately have been missing. These big, anonymous, nothing-lost-on-death megaserver games just have zero personality to them. I couldn't name a single person or guild I fought with or against in GW2, ESO, WAR, SWTOR or even Planetside 2 (which, as these games go, was one of the better ones). As a guild, we hardly picked up any new players in any of those games. It just didn't matter. Nobody really won or lost anything so nobody cared about anything and the map strategy was so fleeting as to be pointless.

We haven't had this kind of fun since Everquest 1 PvP servers, where small server populations and non-instanced content meant big PvP just for the right to farm a dungeon and get your character the loot and levels he needs to progress with. THAT game had some drama. This game is shaping up nicely too.

It's what happens when a game actually gives people reason to care. Oh the players will say they hate things like ship loss but you can't get this level of drama and therefore attachment without it.

Reading through 16 pages of back and forth has clarified one thing for me - I really like this game. I think it's pretty awesome how different perspectives can be applied to the game. People that like to take territory can watch port markers change colour, people that like to explore can sail for hours around the map, people that love crafting and economy can become ship markers and traders and people that love combat can engage in some pretty awesome PvP. Surely the game is doing something right if one group of people can claim to be winning due to number of ports while another can claim to be winning based on combat results.

As for Pirates v France, given the way clans are implemented currently it would be extremely hard for any lasting diplomacy to occur in my opinion. Easier for a smaller nation like France which has a fairly unified player base and common enemy. Harder for pirates, which have multiple clans - even one medium sized clan acting against an agreement would cause issues. Diplomacy is on the way though, which I am very excited about, and it will be interesting to see how it works.

Regardless of who said what when I'm having lots of fun. Defending Pedernales every night has been a blast and having conversations with pirates in my solo port defence escapades was pretty entertaining (I love being offered a bounty to sink Slamz!). Unlike others I don't think any lasting damage will be caused by our current war - most pirates I enter combat against are pretty nice and every faction has crazies that spew nonsense and rage. The map will be reset, mechanics will be reworked and players will shift about. In the mean time I'll be sailing about bringing my cannons to where they can cause the most trouble.

*Pirates run away from US and attack France

*They beat on France until finally France starts to turn the corner and starts winning fights

*Pirates offer France a turd sandwich of a deal to start a cease fire

*Pirates give France an ultimatum, team speak quote "Take the deal or we will bring a **** storm down on you guys"

*France votes for **** storm

*France decides to go guerilla and become better at Pirating then the Pirates

*Pirates take uncontested Deep Waters

*Pirates consistently lose the Shallow Waters

*France holes up in Naprima bay and starts pushing the limits of guerilla warfare 

*Pirates cry foul

*Pirates attack Pedernales multiple times and can't take it

*France loses all of its Ports except 2.

*France learns to support a nation without ports 

*Pirates declare victory

*France continues to sink their 3rd rates in Snows and Mercs in the waters the Pirates claim they control

*France won't go away and keeps a part of their team locked into crueler PVP then they thought the game allowed

*This baffles Bahamas Pirates since now part of their team is locked into a quagmire with the French

*The Eastern Pirates can't understand why we haven't left or given up since they already declared victory

France hates Pirates, Pirates hate France.

It has turned more personal then your normal politics. So much so that I have no doubt when the map re-sets the French will dive right back into the Pirates and the Pirates will shoot right for the French.

+1

Best read on this thread, most I didn't read. But this sum's it up.

As much as it pains me to say it, Poe is a pirate I could actually like.  He should be speaking for the pirate nation instead of some of the other blow-hards.

(I would still have no qualms trying to kill him of course)

220px-Fleur_de_lys_%28or%29.svg.png

I already said you [and those like you] were pirates I and the rest of Purge (As noted elsewhere Slamz is our official voice but I'm on pretty safe ground saying this here in this way) could respect and work with.

All the better that you're flying a french flag.  I guess I have to retract my statement about having no qualms trying to kill you.  The sacrifices we must make in the name of the resistance.  Vive La France

OMG was by far the most toxic crew we had on the pirate side. You know the kind of guys who take part of a 10 clan vote, are the only ones to not agree and then do exactly what we agreed not to do all while trying to pull members of all the clans to follow their plan, causing chaos, confusion and in-fighting within and between the clans. Each and every time they were on the shared teamspeak the same kind of toxic drama occurred...

They may be good players but they certainly were an absolute pain to work with.

Good luck to them and good luck to the frenchies. Also I called that this would happen about 8 hours before it did, it was obvious they were about to leave the nation based on all the drama they caused in the past week.

All I'm gonna say on the subject.

I was quite hoping you would have spun it so that it was part of the master pirate plan to send over the malcontents to seed the French nation with turmoil from the inside (which may still happen but so far it sounds like they are trying to play the same game we are which can't be said for the other pirate factions).

Edited by Arsilon

220px-Fleur_de_lys_%28or%29.svg.png

The Pirates just got weaker and softer. When your hard core pvpers are running off to France that should tell you everything you need to know about the Pirate team. OMG is not the only addition lately.

PVPers want to play with a team that has a set cojones not guys who run away and hide until they have their 1st rates.

The Pirates just don't get us but OMG does.

I have this conversation with Pirates every time we attack a Connie or 3rd rate with Snows and Mercs.

The Pirates think we are just trolling them to keep them locked in combat. They complain about how we just annoy them and we are cowards. I always ask the Pirate, when was the last time you attacked a 3rd rate in a Snow or Merc, they say "I would never do that, that is just dumb"!

I always ask "then who is the brave one here and who is the coward"?

They always shut up about the time we have them demasted and start gang boarding them. This is who France is.

Edited by Vllad

I was quite hoping you would have spun it so that it was part of the master pirate plan to send over the malcontents to seed the French nation with turmoil from the inside (which may still happen but so far it sounds like they are trying to play the same game we are which can't be said for the other pirate factions).

I do a lot of things on the forums and can be a master troll at times but one thing I do not do is lie. If I ever say or said anything untrue, it would be because I have been misinformed rather than trying to misinform. Diplomat, troll, but definitely not a liar or propagandist.

OMG are not spies sent to create chaos within France... But that's not to say they won't have the same effect as if they were, just saying.

OMG was by far the most toxic crew we had on the pirate side. You know the kind of guys who take part of a 10 clan vote, are the only ones to not agree and then do exactly what we agreed not to do all while trying to pull members of all the clans to follow their plan, causing chaos, confusion and in-fighting within and between the clans. Each and every time they were on the shared teamspeak the same kind of toxic drama occurred...

Given the decisions you Pirates have made I can honestly say if Purge went Pirate we would have been standing right by OMG's side being "toxic" as well. Sounds like OMG is better off with France since we share the same thoughts on how to play.

I have no doubt OMG is looking forward to having additional conversations with you guys while looking over their cannon gun sights.

I don't think OMG cause drama, and I don't think they are going to be the last to leave.

I think a lot of pirates in the Bahamas want to prove that they're more PVP-oriented than the pirates in the South— those who only want to attack concrete towers in empty ports and get mad when defenders show up, much like the USS clan did when it steamrolled in the Bahamas. I see very little difference.

As a Bahamas-based pirate, I'm beginning to realize that I have much more in common with the resistance spirit of the French than I do with the pirate zerg in the south. We should be in Mimbres or Bimini, hitting US traders off the coast of Florida like the French are doing to the pirates in Pedernales.

Someone said it best, the French are better at pirate tactics than the pirates.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 1

I do a lot of things on the forums and can be a master troll at times but one thing I do not do is lie. If I ever say or said anything untrue, it would be because I have been misinformed rather than trying to misinform. Diplomat, troll, but definitely not a liar or propagandist.

OMG are not spies sent to create chaos within France... But that's not to say they won't have the same effect as if they were, just saying.

Brucy,

There are individuals on your side who we like and admire.  We tried to work with you guys.  There were some things that rubbed us wrong, undoubtedly.  Bottom line, though, is this - we decided to change to the French when it became clear we weren't having *fun* doing what we were doing.  I didn't pay $40 to play Power Tower Attack: the Age of Sail edition.  Does that change my respect for you as an individual?  Not in the slightest.  I still think you're a pretty amusing and generally good dude.  But you guys are playing a different game than what we wanted to play, and this is where we've found ourselves.

That said, I look forward to seeing you guys out there on the other end.  I think I can safely say that I, in particular, look forward to the challenge.

Brucy,

There are individuals on your side who we like and admire.  We tried to work with you guys.  There were some things that rubbed us wrong, undoubtedly.  Bottom line, though, is this - we decided to change to the French when it became clear we weren't having *fun* doing what we were doing.  I didn't pay $40 to play Power Tower Attack: the Age of Sail edition.  Does that change my respect for you as an individual?  Not in the slightest.  I still think you're a pretty amusing and generally good dude.  But you guys are playing a different game than what we wanted to play, and this is where we've found ourselves.

That said, I look forward to seeing you guys out there on the other end.  I think I can safely say that I, in particular, look forward to the challenge.

Totally agree with you, don't mistake my words for bitterness, I totally understand you guys and where you come from.

I do a lot of things on the forums and can be a master troll at times but one thing I do not do is lie.

I am cut from the same cloth, and I was simply going to leave it at a Fleur de lis Brucy.  As you are my mate I am not going to badmouth anyone still being a pirate (well, any more than I did as a pirate anyway).  

But that one shot about OMG being "toxic" was your free one, so take it and walk away.  Otherwise I am going to air my collection of various dirty laundry and let the masses define "toxic" on their own.  

Seriously mate, lets just settle it with cannon balls and laughs and not bullshit.

• Like 2

You know the kind of guys who take part of a 10 clan vote

I know the kind of guys who conduct 10-clan votes.

You just can't conduct national business by clan vote.  My intent with The Purge has always been to state what we are doing and invite others to join in. No votes. If anyone has enough warm bodies to do something totally opposite of what we're doing, more power to em. Hopefully they will listen to reasonable suggestions like "don't piss off our allies" and hopefully we can coordinate in some way but ultimately you can't herd cats. You just have to pick a direction, try to explain it and hope enough people come along. The real strategy in games like this is not "map strategy", but "people strategy". Doesn't matter what the best map strategy is if the people can't have fun doing it.

I can imagine where a group like OMG would run foul of a "10 clan vote" setup. As much as it pains me to actually unironically quote Jack Sparrow in here, "the problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."

And so it has been with the French plan. Allying with the pirates would have been the wiser map strategy, but I couldn't see where doing that, especially under the terms offered, would be fun for the French players. Moving to Louisiana would have worked too, and some did, and more power to em, but I didn't see the fun in that, either. This was fun. You thought the French would be miserable but you're missing that "people strategy" component. I took a gamble that with The Purge as a basis, we could carve out a fun plan that, worst case, would let the French players maintain their pride and have some fun in open sea PvP.

So far so good.

Just beware that now you've only two ports to actually dock your vessels & a zerg of pirates who want to defend our new acquisitions :D

I'll be real curious to see if that's true!

Personally I'm still willing to offer the pirates the same deal I originally offered them, which is "get out of the southeast and then we'll talk".

You guys have made a bit of a mess but I think if France can lay claim to everything in the southeast and north up to our capital, we would probably be okay with you keeping everything north of there, plus Aves. And since there is so much iron in the southeast, it is even feasible that we would donate one iron port to the cause of eventually fighting the Powers That Be. (We'll hold a big team meeting and conduct a vote about it....)  But it would not be one in that bay area.

But we will assume that "fight the pirates to the death" is still the gameplan and if we have to fight hard to reclaim our territory, we might not stop at the currently offered line.

• Like 1