Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Storm weather in port battles?

Weather in port battles  

157 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you want storm weather (heavy fog and rain) to transfer to port battles?

    • Yes
      129
    • No
      29


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

Also to be borne in mind that the weather experienced in game bears very little resemblance to actual Caribbean weather. You seldom actually get reduced visibility that covers half of the Caribbean and lasts for days at a time like in game unless you are in hurricane season and even then the frequency is nowhere near the number of times we experience it in game. You may get some localised heavy rain that disrupts visibility, but these are usually short lived and very localised. Fog as far as I am aware is not common in the Caribbean due to the high sea water temperatures. There is a reason they call it the Sunny Caribbean!!!

 If you wish to introduce poor visibility and weather into port battles, do it because you want it as a game feature rather than any simulation of reality, because if you try to go down the reality route then you best introduce trade winds, currents, hurricane season etc.

This is a good point. You can make the bad weather more tropical though. Have a rain squall that comes through hard but very quickly for example, or is more localized. There is a rainy season as well. Ships have been wrecked in the Caribbean due to storms and bad weather (providing nice places for us to scuba dive today!).  Remember also that the map is large so weather patterns in the Bahamas are different than off the coast of South America for example. 

I would like to see more diversity in weather and wind conditions, so I say let's test it in the PB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

This is a good point. You can make the bad weather more tropical though. Have a rain squall that comes through hard but very quickly for example, or is more localized. There is a rainy season as well. Ships have been wrecked in the Caribbean due to storms and bad weather (providing nice places for us to scuba dive today!).  Remember also that the map is large so weather patterns in the Bahamas are different than off the coast of South America for example. 

I would like to see more diversity in weather and wind conditions, so I say let's test it in the PB.

Could one of the many 'weather simulation' programmes used by Flight Simulator be used? 

They provide up to date weather conditions which could have an effect on RVR/PVP operations and OW operations equally.

If the wind direction and strength could be tied into the game then trade winds would be a factor, if weather damage were introduced that would be another factor, Commanders could decide on the spot whether to continue an operation or postpone it. 

The choice of whether to fight or not fight is in the hands of Captains according to the prevailing weather state.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Admin, Devs and Captains,

I vote a big resounding YES to this one. I didn't realize instances were on the same server as OW. Please do put them on another server so we can have heavy weather in battle instance. Not being able to open lower gun ports, mortar brigs not being able to shoot accurately, wrecking your masts if you don't shorten sail, possibility of capsizing your ship, not being able to see where you are going etc. Maybe, just maybe a rare lightning strike blowing up a ship, or for that matter the powder magazine in a fort. Captains will just have to learn how to deal with it, part of your skill as a captain and knowledge of that ship that no bonus or lack thereof can take away from you. In OW the times I have been able to sneak into port when I knew enemys were around..... and of course a couple of times I've been sailing through a storm and run across an enemy ship, just heart dropping. I liked it early on when the storms were really thick and I love the fog now. Want more.

Have to go. Able Seadog Wade help me make my escape before Admin catches me and gives me a thrashing for spending his money without permission.

Fair sailing and a great day all.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO

Development time invested into a feature which doesnt affect gameplay in an reasonable amount.

If you make large waves possible again?

YES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, admin said:

heavy waves are impossible as waves are on the server and universal for all. Changing waves requires instance restart (server restart). They were possible during old sea trials because storm map was on a separate server (machine). 

Storms wouldn't be the same without some bigger waves. Is there truly no alternative? I would even settle for specific areas on the map where every battle started in the area is in rough waves with those areas never changing and the rest of the map always being normal. Anything to break up the nearly perfect weather in battle would feel refreshing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some facts

  • Number of voted players: 94 (yes) + 24 (no) = 118
  • Owner of game: 100000-200000 (impossible get accurate data because steam change their policy)
  • Max online during 7 days on Caribbean server: 558
  • Number of accounts on Caribbean server: 41368
  • Logins on Caribbean server: 3787
  • Number of forum accounts: 26382

@admin

Is these numbers (118/41368*100=0.29%) or (118/3787*100=3.11%) or (118/26382*100=0.45%) enough to say that storm is community chose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Some facts

  • Number of voted players: 94 (yes) + 24 (no) = 118
  • Owner of game: 100000-200000 (impossible get accurate data because steam change their policy)
  • Max online during 7 days on Caribbean server: 558
  • Number of accounts on Caribbean server: 41368
  • Logins on Caribbean server: 3787
  • Number of forum accounts: 26382

@admin

Is these numbers (118/41368*100=0.29%) or (118/3787*100=3.11%) or (118/26382*100=0.45%) enough to say that storm is community chose?

Nice job with the math, but it should be enough. Since the players are the ones testing the game, it's up to us to determine what works and what doesn't. If some won't bother to get on the forums to make their opinions known, then that's on them for not participating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yes" , but not all times. And not in all places.

It should depend on port location and wind direction. 

Edited by CaptainSparckles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormy weather just for optics does not make much difference content-wise. So if there will be storm in port battle (or any battle instances), it should involve necessary protective measures by players if they don't want to take damage (without enemy doing it): having to sail with reduced sails; facing extreme heeling if not turning over, if not met by lowering more sails; not being able to use lowest battery deck; somewhat slowed down turning ability due to waves - and of course the visibility issues...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DesMoines said:

i don t need you understand….just admin can use Google translate

Wiesz że nikt nie użyje tłumacza Google? :) 

Edited by vazco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in OW battles with rain/fog where view is limited and we can't not see much. I think it is very cool, but the main issue is that players can disengage and escape.. In PB this will not be an issue! So please give me storms in battle :D 
Looks so awesome when you can see a ship kinda far way in the fog or when it appears like a ghost ship 😍 

And we can all access the map, so we are not really blind anyway..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, qw569 said:

Some facts

  • Number of voted players: 94 (yes) + 24 (no) = 118
  • Owner of game: 100000-200000 (impossible get accurate data because steam change their policy)
  • Max online during 7 days on Caribbean server: 558
  • Number of accounts on Caribbean server: 41368
  • Logins on Caribbean server: 3787
  • Number of forum accounts: 26382

@admin

Is these numbers (118/41368*100=0.29%) or (118/3787*100=3.11%) or (118/26382*100=0.45%) enough to say that storm is community chose?

Storms in port battles poll was to judge opinions. We have not yet made this decision. And just wanted to see the general thoughts from the community.

But it is obvious that even if we ask in game - more people will want storms as well. Perhaps storms weather should appear in instances from time to time - not always - OW time compression can explain why there is storm before the battle and no storm when battle starts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, admin said:

Storms in port battles poll was to judge opinions. We have not yet made this decision. And just wanted to see the general thoughts from the community.

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

Edited by qw569

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, qw569 said:

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

I disagree, if so, what is the point of having a forum in the first place?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, qw569 said:

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

It's not a democratic decision on Brexit.  They just wanted an opinion from some people who actively give feedback.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, qw569 said:

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

We are the most active testers of the game and community that gives valuable feedback.

Some facts:

  • Everyone can create a forum account and cast a vote (it's free)
  • Testers are needed for early access game development and their feedback is important. It can show a good direction for the development
  • Players that want to influence or change development should be here giving feedback or on the Steam community forum

Possible suggestions:

  • Make such votings and gathering feedback in-game login page. Some games include community polls in the actual game launchers and menus
  • Include Steam and social media shares to increase range for the best results
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another point if you were to add reduced vis into a port battle (or any battle for that matter).  You should also reduce the clarity of the battle map.  There's no point in reducing the vis, if you can go to a nice clear radar display and sort out the surface picture.  You'd lose a lot of the chaos factor.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Just another point if you were to add reduced vis into a port battle (or any battle for that matter).  You should also reduce the clarity of the battle map.  There's no point in reducing the vis, if you can go to a nice clear radar display and sort out the surface picture.  You'd lose a lot of the chaos factor.

Lets not go very hardcore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Lets not go very hardcore.

I don't think that is over the top.  Really, what would the point be with stormy weather?  Reduce the vis and add some confusion.  having a perfectly clear battle map would nullify that.  Don't forget we still have our travelling camera view, lol. And our magical 18th century cell phones!

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I disagree, if so, what is the point of having a forum in the first place?

Forum was useful untill early access (25 Jan 2016).

23 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It's not a democratic decision on Brexit.  They just wanted an opinion from some people who actively give feedback.

Account on forum do not link to account in game. So not only owners of game can take part in discussion and polls

So if somebody have special skills then he can make hundreds accounts in forum which will vote as he wish.

What happens if developers begin listen or ignoring vote of his amy?

23 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

We are the most active testers of the game and community that gives valuable feedback.

It's not guarantee that somebody active tester. Look the most oldies account on forum jonnysweden. What priority will you set for his opinions?

Edited by qw569

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is what priority would the Devs set on a ridiculous opinion.  They're not idiots, they just wanted some opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Forum was useful untill early access (25 Jan 2016).

Account on forum do not link to account in game. So not only owners of game can take part in discussion and polls

So if somebody have special skills then he can make hundreds accounts in forum which will vote as he wish.

What happens if developers begin listen or ignoring vote of his amy?

It's not guarantee that somebody active tester. Look the most oldies account on forum jonnysweden. What priority will you set for his opinions?

Devs should know by now who give the most useful and valuable feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i voted no .. its supposed to be historical and realistic ... 17th century dships would not have fought a large engagement in stormy weather .. they would have been too busy managing the ship  trying not collide wth each other or sink from storm damage ..in reality when Royal Navy was blockading the French a storm would scatter the blockading fleet up and down the english channel they couldnt even remain on station nevermind fight a fleet engagement 

. secondly there is too much suspicion and salt  already in the game over exploits .. imagine nation A  attacks nation B port and in 3 attempts there is a a storm in battle making all 3 attempts failures .. meanwhile nation B attacks Nation A ports and all are calm weather battles ,,, its just not worth the grief

last point would a storm in battle affect in game graphics especially large fleet engagements ?

Edited by Grundgemunkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

i voted no .. its supposed to be historical and realistic ... 17th century dships would not have fought a large engagement in stormy weather .. they would have been too busy managing the ship  trying not collide wth each other or sink from storm damage ..in reality when Royal Navy was blockading the French a storm would scatter the blockading fleet up and down the english channel they couldnt even remain on station nevermind fight a fleet engagement 

. secondly there is too much suspicion and salt  already in the game over exploits .. imagine nation A  attacks nation B port and in 3 attempts there is a a storm in battle making all 3 attempts failures .. meanwhile nation B attacks Nation A ports and all are calm weather battles ,,, its just not worth the grief

last point would a storm in battle affect in game graphics especially large fleet engagements ?

In this topic we had at least 2 historical references about naval engagements during the storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×