Game-Labs Forum

Limit chain like double shot

This is just a desire for your opinion. I really enjoy playing this game (over 2100 hours so far) however, I wanted to know what some of the other Captains in the game think about limiting chain. I understand its purpose and its effectiveness when used correctly. However, it seems to be an unbalanced aspect to battle/consumables. I can post a few pro reasons for unlimited chain and a few cons against....but what do you think? 

Completely agree.

I think if we limit hull/rig/rum (as mentioned in admin's poll) then limiting chain shot and grape is the best way to balance things out. 

For double ball and double charge we are given 4 shots for every gun on the ship. For grape and chain I would say maybe 6x or 8x would work nicely.

I disagree. Either limit all ammunition, or keep it as it is. The biggest issue with limiting chains is that we would see running engagements that could potentially go for the full 90 mins.. The chains expedites a closure to a battle.

For me it makes no sense to limit some ammo types and not others, I for one would prefer limits on all ammo types and I believe it would introduce another layer to the tactics in battles.

I respect and appreciate both of the previous posts.  I would like to clarify that I know this will stir some debate and the initial post doesn't contain my opinion so much as it poses a question. However, to all future posters, please understand that what we are exploring here are the "What if's" of limiting chain, as well as possibly all ammo to some degree. I can see both sides because I have been both Victor and Victim due to chain. When responding, also consider the effect it would have in 1v1 and 1v 2or3. Both of the above posters make good points. What are your thoughts Captains?

Looks to me like runners just trying to make it easier to get away.  They have already nerf the hell out of chasers, and more so if using chain, But they buffed Stern go figure, that was about a year ago. Makes my head hurt every time I see stuff like this.

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 1

It is basically a reality v gameplay issue, In real life ammunition and powder were limited commodities, If your sails were shredded you got caught and possibly boarded, in a fleet action the battle may leave you behind to repair and escape as best you can. Likewise when a mast or two went by the board, you could not re-step a mast at sea but you could jury rig sails to at least gain steerage way. If you ran low on ammunition then your options were stay and be torn apart or fight defensively and attempt to out sail your opponent(s) to leave the battle, either way your opponent would also be low on ammunition and have similar difficulties.  It was a test of skill, who could outgun/out-manoeuvre  their opponents until they were sunk, boarded or escaped.

In game some of the realities may not be playable due to time constraints or limitation in coding or software/hardware issues so they are hinted at in other ways that may appear to give unfair advantage, when you consider all things, if a Captain has the skill to escape a predator then he deserves to keep his ship, there is no loser, the attacking Captain  was simply out-sailed and the escaping Captain will one day meet a captain he cannot out -run. It's similar to fighter pilots, some become aces, most do not. Admirals like Villeneuve and Nelson worked with the resources they had and in both cases sometimes against their superiors, In game we have people like Metatastic Disease, who says he is average, not a good fighter yet he manages to be the thorn in every ones side, he wins more often than not because he uses what he has, he picks his fights well and runs when he should run,  He is a very challenging player to play and like Captain Hans Langsdorf of the Graf Spee is very difficult to catch! We have yet to find   a Commodore Harwood to catch him but one day....  Would he be as successful with limited resources? I suspect he would, anyone can sink ships with 4-5 to 1 odds, but it's the ones who can work with what they have and survive who provide the real challenges in game and to be that one is the real challenge of the game.

well at least it must be in the perk section

or limit the amount of chain

or give it space limits for the whole ammunition loadout and you have to choose your ammo on the ship at your own convenience 

this unlimited  ammo and repair what we now have is not the way to go 

even today they have vessels for ammo and oil  refuel it is not any different in the old days

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

With the current infinite repair system I dont see the point of limiting any ammo.

You destroy masts, masts will be back... You attack sails, repais make sure you dont have any hole on them...

I even would increase the cuantity of charge and double shot. Im sorry guys, Im really pissed with the current repair system.

i agree with you the repair system is OP and needs an overhaul

but if it is overhauled, the ammo needs a fix to for that matter 

they go together 

and therefore a balance between ship and ammo and repairs is actually longtime overdue

ps. dont get pissed, it does not help ..

Needs limited repairs paired with it yes.

Does unlimited chain help the one in a 1v3 or the 3 more? I'd say it doesn't really matter because a half dozen broadsides of chain will leave you crippled, more so than you could ever return. You're ded anyway.

But where chain does matter is when I attack a pfrig in my reno. How am I gonna deal with being outweighed? I'm going to sit at max range and chain his sails down until I feel its safe enough to approach or he runs out of repairs. This is how many battles go down. Chain is extremely effective at winning the battle, it requires little aiming and no regard for angle. You're just letting loose from a safe distance still doing tons of damage.

I never have to get close and put myself at risk, and if risk gets close or the battle isn't going anywhere I can turn around and shoot chain out my ass, still doing a bunch of damage, and escape. This makes for very passive unrewarding gameplay. 

If chain was limited to few broadsides worth what you'd see is an exchange of chain shot right off the bat, closing distance followed by likely a sail repair. That leaves a single sail repair for further sail and mast damage, which demasting for similar rated ships is fairly hard and takes good understanding of your ship. It's also not an instance reduction in speed like chain is.

Overall chain does need to be limited like other premium ammo. Chain is very likely to be used more often then ball is in PVP, let that sink in. Although we're all use to the chain meta, take a look and ask yourself "why we consistently chain to 60% before coming in for the kill?"

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Just now, Archaos said:

Limiting chain shot will not make any difference as the new meta is to snipe masts with single ball shots.

I've been pressuring to have that addressed as well. And it's not a new meta, it's a return of an old one that at one time was dead and buried.

• Like 1