Game-Labs Forum

Serious Exploits

Chefzilla72

I was part of the Port Battle for Savannah La Mar. As the main fleet went into the battle. I remained outside to screen. While there and mind you this was about 4 minutes after the battle started. 3 pirates came out. 1 Constitution and 2 Buccantures. These 3 began to chase me down. One of the Bucs disappeared and then reappared in front of me. During the battle. Jobaset in his Constituion, after several exchanges of broadsides, was finally able to board me. At a speed of 4.5 knots and captured my nearly fully crewed Agamemnon in a single turn while I was braced. How does one warp ahead like that? How do you suceesfully board in only one turn? Maybe I'm still salty but these type of exploits, mechanics are a deal breaker. Not only did I lose a ship with repairs and rum but even with all the damage I dealt against 2 superior targets there's no experience given.

Please provide any evidence of this. Screenshots, video or F11-report numbers. These events sound like lag/bugs and superior boarding mods/skills. If any of this was to be caused by exploits it would seemingly require server side manipulation which is impossible.

This accusation belongs in the tribunal and needs evidence, not just assertions. Why would someone who already had 3:1 advantage use what would seem like obvious exploits in a battle they were already going to win?

27 minutes ago, Chefzilla72 said:

I was part of the Port Battle for Savannah La Mar. As the main fleet went into the battle. I remained outside to screen. While there and mind you this was about 4 minutes after the battle started. 3 pirates came out. 1 Constitution and 2 Buccantures. These 3 began to chase me down. One of the Bucs disappeared and then reappared in front of me. During the battle. Jobaset in his Constituion, after several exchanges of broadsides, was finally able to board me. At a speed of 4.5 knots and captured my nearly fully crewed Agamemnon in a single turn while I was braced. How does one warp ahead like that? How do you suceesfully board in only one turn? Maybe I'm still salty but these type of exploits, mechanics are a deal breaker. Not only did I lose a ship with repairs and rum but even with all the damage I dealt against 2 superior targets there's no experience given.

for how long did he disappear? 

I didn't get any screenshots. I'm not making an accusation. The Buc disappeared for about 10 seconds. He jumped from 2 or 3 boat lengths behind me to about half a boat length ahead of me. I really thought this could've been a lag issue but thought I'd bring it up. I was more wondering about losing 256 men and losing a boarding in a single turn while braced.

Maybe Jobaset has a screenshot. He was the one that hit me.

Edited by Chefzilla72

Just now, Chefzilla72 said:

I didn't get any screenshots. I'm not making an accusation. Hence the question mark. The Buc disappeared for about 10 seconds. He jumped from 2 or 3 boat lengths behind me to about half a boat length ahead of me. I really thought this could've been a lag issue but thought I'd bring it up. I was more wondering about losing 256 men and losing a boarding in a single turn while braced.

Maybe Jobaset has a screenshot. He was the one that hit me.

2 responses

On the boarding issue - there are boarding fitouts that provide significant advantages against an unprepared target. There are also counters to them. But if you don't have boarding mods certain attacks will do a devastating effect against brace (which means your crew is laying down on deck defenseless hiding against gun and cannon fire).

On the disappearance. 
We are investigating - but most likely it is not caused by exploits but by bugs. When we implemented invisibility and speed boost after battles it had a glitch which rarely reset the invisibility timer randomly without any player influence - it was fixed - but maybe traces of the bug remained. We will check it again and see what we can do about it. 

8 minutes ago, admin said:

On the boarding issue - there are boarding fitouts that provide significant advantages against an unprepared target. There are also counters to them. But if you don't have boarding mods certain attacks will do a devastating effect against brace (which means your crew is laying down on deck defenseless hiding against gun and cannon fire).

If someone has access to fitouts that strong then it seems to me that a nerf is in order. This seems to be an exploitable mechanic. 

2 minutes ago, Chefzilla72 said:

If someone has access to fitouts that strong then it seems to me that a nerf is in order. This seems to be an exploitable mechanic. 

boarding design is based on simple action - counter mechanic and every command has a strong or weak counter. Brace is very weak against certain commands.
You can improve your defensive chances by taking some skills or upgrades related to boarding. Also remember that if you see if someone prepares to board you you can also counter it by just shooting grape into upper decks (before boarding starts) if you shoot grape into upper decks of a ship on boarding preparation (from close distance of course) you can deliver strong crew loss as hull armor is ignored in that case, giving you some breathing room to disengage during boarding itself.

Also keep your speed above 4 knots and try not to turn into the wind.

24 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

BTW Chef, coz you so willingly helped Armed get their big ships into SLM, you can contact either myself or @Rebrall in game. We have a brand new Aggie waiting for you, with shiny cannons and a clean deck :)

o7 and thanks for helping.

That's much appreciated however if you don't mind you can pass that off to someone in TF. I'm debating very strongly returning to this game. With all the frustration Naval Action brings maybe I'll just stick to World of Tanks and World of Warships. 

Edited by Chefzilla72

I remember the times of one-shotting AI 1st rates in my santisima with 600 marines on. 1 attack wave needed. Then got nerfed :D

But yeah, boarding game is a mind game. "Will he last-sec attack? Or is he faking? Should I counter fake? Or is he going to tripple fake?"... Sometimes its just luck, really. Need to understand the boarding basics though

Edited by Liquicity

7 minutes ago, admin said:

boarding design is based on simple action - counter mechanic and every command has a strong or weak counter. Brace is very weak against certain commands.
You can improve your defensive chances by taking some skills or upgrades related to boarding. Also remember that if you see if someone prepares to board you you can also counter it by just shooting grape into upper decks (before boarding starts) if you shoot grape into upper decks of a ship on boarding preparation (from close distance of course) you can deliver strong crew loss as hull armor is ignored in that case, giving you some breathing room to disengage during boarding itself.

Also keep your speed above 4 knots and try not to turn into the wind.

Yeah... he boarded me at 4.5 knots while I was more than half a boat length ahead and pulling away. If there's a mechanic in the game that allows an attacker to win a fight in the first turn. Then that's something that needs to be looked at. Not round mind you but turn. I barely had a chance to engage let alone counter.

This type of mechanic just screams exploit and takes the fun out of the game. It's bad enough being jumped 3-1 but having zero chance of even coming out of it? Where's the fun? And no offense but how do three ships come out of a port 4 minutes into a Port Battle? If an opponent still has ships in the port at the start of the fight. Then those ships should be trapped in the PB.

1 minute ago, Liquicity said:

I remember the times of one-shotting AI 1st rates in my santisima with 600 marines on. 1 attack wave needed. Then got nerfed :D

But yeah, boarding game is a mind game. "Will he last-sec attack? Or is he faking? Should I counter fake? Or is he going to tripple fake?"... Sometimes its just luck, really. Need to understand the boarding basics though

Losing half you crew in one turn isn't luck.

If it was Joba that boarded you I can promise you he prob was board fit for that fight.   He normally is any way.   I can one shot folks if they have no clue how to defend and most folks don't have a clue.   Though the rest of it sounds like some really buggy lag issues too.  The last few days I been getting really bad lag in game, but I was more thinking it was my provider being stupid over the weekend.  

2 minutes ago, Chefzilla72 said:

Remember there was two other ships too, if you look at the kills and you lost a large numbers to OK (out side kills) some one prob stern camped you and graped your crew and yes I can kill half a crew of a ship if you hit the wrong action towards my action.   

3 minutes ago, Chefzilla72 said:

You probably didnt have any boarding preperation up when yout got boarded so you couldnt hit defend in the last few seconds. What do you expect your crew to do if they get surprised without being prepared at all for it? A ship not being prepared for a boardinh meele IRL wouldnt stand a chance and most likely surrender pretty soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

If it was Joba that boarded you I can promise you he prob was board fit for that fight.   He normally is any way.   I can one shot folks if they have no clue how to defend and most folks don't have a clue.   Though the rest of it sounds like some really buggy lag issues too.  The last few days I been getting really bad lag in game, but I was more thinking it was my provider being stupid over the weekend.  

So maybe I'm just being a bit extra salty. I hate to lose but normally if you overload yourself in one direction you have to lose it in another. In tanks it's the balance between armor, firepower and speed.

2 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

You probably didnt have any boarding preperation up when yout got boarded so you couldnt hit defend in the last few seconds. What do you expect your crew to do if they get surprised without being prepared at all for it? A ship not being prepared for a boardinh meele IRL wouldnt stand a chance and most likely surrender pretty soon.

I disagree. It's the boarder that needs to prepare. In a attack. The aggressor should expect to lose by a 3-1 ratio. If you're jumped you are expecting to get boarded but not going to argue about this. Any mechanic that can be rigged for that kind of victory is an exploitable mechanic and one that should be looked at. I understand that if you find yourself in a fair fight. Your tactics suck but the bonus always goes to the defender. No attacker should have this kind advantage.

Edited by Chefzilla72

1 minute ago, Chefzilla72 said:

I disagree. It's the boarder that needs to prepare. In a attack. The aggressor should expect to lose by a 3-1 ratio. If you're jumped you are expecting to get boarded.

brace command literally means - lay down hiding from cannon/musket fire. 
its very easy to attack lying targets.

9 minutes ago, Chefzilla72 said:

So maybe I'm just being a bit extra salty. I hate to lose but normally if you overload yourself in one direction you have to lose it in another. In tanks it's the balance between armor, firepower and speed.

Yah take a break, it's one fight and I do agree when you play one style over others you tend to have weakness.  When I see a board fit ship and you can tell if you been playing by multi things (extra crew, slow reload, running smaller guns, very soft ship armor/hp wise) things like that you know to keep your distance, keep your speed and don't get close to them.  I have demasted and sunk a good number of boarders instead of taking that chance.  I have taken a few good number of ships too by having more hybrid builds than one that pushes all one direction. Marines takes up crew that can be used for sails and gunners so remember that and the more crew and damage they take the lower there moral gets when you do board them.  

Not sure what ship you where in but 2 Bucc's and Connie is a pretty hard group to win a fight against unless you got speed and can out run them (no bow chasers on those Bucc's).  

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

record i Had was 11 out or 13 ships in the fleet with 1.5 million admiralty......it was stupid easy ...i didnt even fire shots in the end.

EBC459743696B48C9D545C9067344403AF438BC4

• Like 1