Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Merge the Servers!!

18 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

No. 

I wanted a unified server to work all along, but as it happened the server split was the best thing to happen to this game for a long time. And with the current server architecture, no matter where you put it - US or EU - a single server would make the game simply inaccessible to some players. 500 ping is alright for this game. 1500 ping minimum and with instability is not. I know that OP doesn't care that some player just have to "bite the bullet and not be able to play", but there should be servers so that players from all over the world that wants to play this game can reasonably do so.

besides the dreaded night flipping fleet is now scattered across 5 different nations. example. WO is now French. and we take great joy in killing VCO whenever we can. (most of the time)

• Like 2

Anyway, looks like the old EU salt is real in this thread.  I've said my bit.   

@admin Global and EU server populations are nearly back to where they were before the wipe and you had the benefit of summer vacations to help,  this current method of doing things is not working.  If anything global has held it's population far better than EU.  90% of your reviews claim a lack of content and in a sandbox, more players = more content.     

Want this game to succeed?  Try something different.  

Edited by Christendom

1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

There really isn't much choice. When people can do night flips and work flips on their enemy they naturally do.  The whole point of war is to make it unfair for the enemy.  That's why port battles are a failing mechanic and regional control should take be something that take a sustained campaign of several 24 hour cycles to change.

I think the whole point of war is to have nice battles and some drama, but to each his own. 

And for me PBs are great.

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Remember, port timers are going away.  This is a new system, or soon to be a new one.  It's time to test it fully with as many players possible.  If 2 servers are necessary, than so be it.  It needs to be tested first.

Okay so what can a nation like Spain do against attacks at US prime time? Wake up at 3 AM again every 2nd night or lose all ports uncontested?

Get solution to this or gtfo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Majority of the reviews basically say the game doesn't have content.  More players = More content.  

Remember, port timers are going away.  This is a new system, or soon to be a new one.  It's time to test it fully with as many players possible.  If 2 servers are necessary, than so be it.  It needs to be tested first.

You make a good point, but to be contrarian, 3 or more servers could potentially allow for more testing than 1 or 2 servers would; despite the anorexic population density our devs enjoy us testing within. Or maybe not, if slimmed populations slows testing . . . I'd hate to be a dev for this thing.  On a side note, allowing reviews of Alpha games seems silly to me. We've already seen angry players tank reviews in retaliation to disciplinary action.

Edited by Landomatic

Just now, King of Crowns said:

lord protector system is coming back. so timers are not an issue. and yet again. it is still true. that if the servers had a minimum of 300 people online at all times then the timers wouldn't be an issue anyway.  point is this this game is not going to grow anymore. release you may see 1500 players online again. that's with a hopeful outlook. with the servers being split the game is pop is growing weaker 2x faster than it should. Go try to play POTBS. that's what you will have in a year or at the most 2.

Agreed. Lord protector is coming back and this update will be a huge game changer. If you are unfamiliar with the system or have a bad memory it allowed you to set a region in whatever time slot you wanted. That means that you will directly compete with people in your designated time and if other time zones want to attack you they have to do so in your time not their's.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Okay so what can a nation like Spain do against attacks at US prime time? Wake up at 3 AM again every 2nd night or lose all ports uncontested?

You obviously didn't bother reading any of what admin said after his initial post. Flags and lord protector system is coming back. I just elaborated what that meant in my post above if you forgot

Just now, Aventador said:

You obviously didn't bother reading any of what admin said after his initial post. Flags and lord protector system is coming back. I just elaborated what that meant in my post above if you forgot

can you quote it please? i havent read all 10 pages...

Nations don't matter, or will soon matter very little.  I seem to recall a nightly flag pull of 25 spanish players back in the lord protector system almost every evening.  Sometimes there would be more of them than us.  The players are there, if the devs choose to merge.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You make a good point, but to be contrarian, 3 or more servers could potentially allow for more testing than 1 or 2 servers would; despite the anorexic population density our devs enjoy us testing within. Or maybe not, if slimmed populations slows testing . . . I'd hate to be a dev for this thing.  On a side note, allowing reviews of Alpha games seems silly to me. We've already seen angry players tank reviews in retaliation to disciplinary action.

To test a proper economy and RVR system you ideally need as many folks as possible to simulate launch right.  If this game had say 3000 players on, sure it'd make sense to split them up.  But I don't think we average 1000 daily at peak times between both.  

Reviews on alpha are kinda silly, but remember we already paid for this game.  This isn't a free alpha.  You throw down money for a game and you should be able to review it.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, King of Crowns said:

BESIDES I wanna see how well you euros do against this BLACK clan on GLOBAL. they are insane with their rvr. they have full clans of 25 alts. generally have one person in the leadership of every major clan of different nations. its like eve online all over again. 

Maybe they're Goons?

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

To test a proper economy and RVR system you ideally need as many folks as possible to simulate launch right.  If this game had say 3000 players on, sure it'd make sense to split them up.  But I don't think we average 1000 daily at peak times between both.  

Review on alpha are kinda silly, but remember we already paid for this game.  This isn't a free alpha.  You throw down money for a game and you should be able to review it.

Testing economy properly is probably the single biggest argument for a merge IMO.  It's a good point, RVR not so much.  Economy development hasn't gotten enough love yet in development though, so might not make any difference there regardless.

6 hours ago, admin said:

Conquest (because clans decide what to conquer) can be moved to flag system with modified place timer (much longer timer than before) to give time to counter. 
But we are still discussion options
which are

• Open conquest - buy a flag start a port battle (but it is placed for 30 mins to allow time to react)
  • Staged conquest - you place a flag and port battle happen next day 
  • Defensive timers can come back as well. Clan determines the 3 hour window when they can be attacked but can be attacked any time. 
  • other ideas are considered too. based on flags or war supplies. 

@Aventador Thx!

Well if they do a 3 hour window it could be okay, but I think most will just put it at the worst possible time for their enemy again since people in this game try everything to avoid fights....

But im not 100% sure what this means:

"Defensive timers can come back as well. Clan determines the 3 hour window when they can be attacked but can be attacked any time."

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

1 minute ago, Jean Ribault said:

Testing economy properly is probably the single biggest argument for a merge IMO.  It's a good point, RVR not so much.  Economy development hasn't gotten enough love yet in development though, so might not make any difference there regardless.

It sounds like, and I could be wrong, that RVR will be more intermixed with the economy in these new War Companies.  RVR will basically be economic warfare.  Gotta have a lot of people to test it.  Otherwise it will just be 2-3 major zerg companies (nations) per server as there is now.  

• Like 1

@Aventador Thx!

Well if they do a 3 hour window it could be okay, but I think most will just put it at the worst possible time for their enemy again since people in this game try everything to avoid fights....

But im not 100% sure what this means:

"Defensive timers can come back as well. Clan determines the 3 hour window when they can be attacked but can be attacked any time."

I agree. But it would mean that eu companies would still only be able to fight other eu companies in their timezone and same with america and east asia/oceanic. And i'm not sure what that last one means either

Just now, Intrepido said:

No, we dont want the return of those mechanics that never worked and make our game experience far worse.

Two servers was one of the best things of the patch 10.

I have to disagree with you. The new mechanics proposed would work beautifully with the lord protector/flag system imo. Reintroducing the lord protector system would allow all of us to exist on a server where we wouldn't be impeding on each others sleep or work and we would have more opportunities to pvp if we so desired

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Sorry guys, pvp only happen both both sides are awake. So no more chances that a EU guy can fight a US one.

Enjoy global and the beautiful community and great RvR you have created there since the wipe.

Yes. PvP does only happen when both sides are awake unless you fall asleep at your keyboard on a trade run ;) We do enjoy global! The argument that is being made is that if both servers go back to be being exactly the same then why not just have one server instead of having one populated server and a dead one (because the less populated one would probably end up moving to the more populated one) and going back to the exact same situation that we had before the wipe. 

67d.jpg

We're fine, thanks! How is global? Having fun?

Funny how things go...

38 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Cute video btw.  It amuses me you guys actually cut and saved it.

What, don't like your own words? Claiming the Asia player should just stop playing? You should be ashamed of yourself. Hypocrite.

Edited by Cornelis Tromp
  • Like 2