Game-Labs Forum

Tribunal

To day i lost all trust for the dev´s to keep this game a live.

From the start of OW we had countless exploits and the Dev´s still sit on their thumbs without the ability to police their own game.

It is clear that you do not have the guts to react and police your title and sadly there for it will die out like so many before which is sad because i did love the game and will still play until i get my fill of the lack of control.

Edited by Scout
  • Like 1

I guess this is to do with the Devs response to the tribunal post today regarding Pirate vs Pirate battles to hide in to get into port battles.

I have to agree that the response was very poor and does not take into account the reality of the situation. Although outlaw battles remain open and anyone can join, the issue is that if they are being used for this purpose then the Pirates involved will not remain anywhere near the spawn point and thus there is very little chance in catching them unless you join the battle immediately.

We used to do this in mission battles a while ago when the battles remained open for 20 or 30 minutes (I cant remember the exact time). You join a mission and kited the AI till you were well clear of the spawn entry point and that way you could not be ganked in your mission as you were well away from any intruder.

I am not saying people should have received punishment for this, but they should have realized that this is an issue and done something to stop it happening. As it stands this is giving their blessing for people to use this mechanic and it will only cause more bad feeling.

• Like 1

I bet it has to do with this:

Keep in mind that just because devs have judged the case not to be an exploit doesn't mean they don't consider - or can be convinced to realize - that it is bad gameplay. Make a game-mechanics discussion topic or a suggestion topic to present and discuss a possible solution.

Logging out outside Port Battles was also not not judged as an exploit, but it was definitely bad gameplay and devs were right to implement the 30 minute timer for joining PBs as well as the changes that were made to ease the screening imbalances. The latest of these changes is the battle groups which we are now testing and so far seem to work well in the case of 1st rate PBs.

The implementation of battle groups happened after the outlaw battle issue was brought to light. The battle groups also mean that there is no advantage to pirates anymore in using battle groups over staying in OW and using battle group as protection. 

The remaining problem however is 4th rate port battles. They are not fully helped by the battle groups mechanic. And therefore I imagine that pirates would still have a possible advantage over nationals in getting into 4th rate Port Battles by using outlaw battles.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I bet it has to do with this:

Keep in mind that just because devs have judged the case not to be an exploit doesn't mean they don't consider - or can be convinced to realize - that it is bad gameplay. Make a game-mechanics discussion topic or a suggestion topic to present and discuss a possible solution.

Logging out outside Port Battles was also not not judged as an exploit, but it was definitely bad gameplay and devs were right to implement the 30 minute timer for joining PBs as well as the changes that were made to ease the screening imbalances. The latest of these changes is the battle groups which we are now testing and so far seem to work well in the case of 1st rate PBs.

The implementation of battle groups happened after the outlaw battle issue was brought to light. The battle groups also mean that there is no advantage to pirates anymore in using battle groups over staying in OW and using battle group as protection. 

The remaining problem however is 4th rate port battles. They are not fully helped by the battle groups mechanic. And therefore I imagine that pirates would still have a possible advantage over nationals in getting into 4th rate Port Battles by using outlaw battles.

The only problem I see with it is that they did not give any indication that they felt it was an issue. Just the simple response that the battles were open so you can join and do something about it.

I agree that the BG idea can bring some interesting tactics into play and hopefully more people will test it to find if there are any flaws in the system.

The intent of FFA battles was never to give hiding spots. But again the mechanic wasn't thought through in terms of potential abuse.

So it needs to go back to the drawing board, with one provision: Pirate-Pirate battles must remain an option. I would hate to see it lost (again).

• Like 1

In a nutshell it comes down to the developer deciding to support a broken mechanic and reinforcing this by continuing to believe in the charade that is a pirate nation.   Instead of actually using some personal fortitude and actually make pirates, pirates.  Not a nation with a black flag.  

But this is a horse that has been beaten well past the point of the after life.   

35 minutes ago, Hodo said:

In a nutshell it comes down to the developer deciding to support a broken mechanic and reinforcing this by continuing to believe in the charade that is a pirate nation.   Instead of actually using some personal fortitude and actually make pirates, pirates.  Not a nation with a black flag.

The same can be done with the use of a cabin boy (alt or not) by any Nation.

So it's not specific to Pirate.

Pirates are far from being the only one´s using exploits when the can but in the end that´s really not the issue.

To me the issue is that from the start of OW players get away with exploits again and again where all normal mmo company´s wold throw them on the backside under a bus but instead of dealing with them the lost most of their player base do to those few that did miss use  every chance the had to get a head by using exploits.

Why i cere is simple this is the best age of sail game that i have the option to play and hate to see it in the mud like it is.

So starting a outlaw battle just before the server restart and hide there for hours way after the server restart until everyone decides to log back and get pushed into OW is normal ...

Yeah well... they remove tp to capital and region capital to prevent abuses, they take measures against those hiding in battles started by National alts, but nothing here ... just plain ridiculous double standards... But at least we know what to expect now... or not expect anymore ...

Edited by Kanay

20 minutes ago, Skully said:

The same can be done with the use of a cabin boy (alt or not) by any Nation.

So it's not specific to Pirate.

Yes but, that is an obvious abuse of an alt, and was punished.  The Pirates can use internal nation alts to achieve the same goal or just a team mate for that matter.

It wouldnt be a problem if everyone could do it.   But seeing as they cant it is an issue.  

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It wouldnt be a problem if everyone could do it.

That would lead to lobbied PBs. A Legends thingy. There should simply be no incentive to hide a PB fleet.

After hostility flip, the ability to buy a flag for that timeslot should open up. Bring the flag within 1 hour the port and you have a PB. Get intercepted or too late and you're done.

19 minutes ago, Skully said:

That would lead to lobbied PBs. A Legends thingy. There should simply be no incentive to hide a PB fleet.

After hostility flip, the ability to buy a flag for that timeslot should open up. Bring the flag within 1 hour the port and you have a PB. Get intercepted or too late and you're done.

This is true, but it would be "fair".  While I dont agree with it either way.  It just shows cowardice in my eyes. 

16 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This is true, but it would be "fair".  While I dont agree with it either way.  It just shows cowardice in my eyes. 

It would be fairer if no one could do it.

I think devs realize this is a problem but they simply chose to not punish anyone for that one circumstance, we'll probably see some "fixes" to PB mechanics here soon

38 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

It isn't a Exploit if it is specifically coded so you can do something.. vs a mistake in the code ...

That is the definition of an exploit.

Exploiting a bug, or oversight in the game mechanics code.   

Duping is an exploit, and it is something you could do via a mistake in the code.   Yet people got banned for it.  so what is the difference between abuse of this exploit vs that one?

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

That is the definition of an exploit.

Exploiting a bug, or oversight in the game mechanics code.   

Duping is an exploit, and it is something you could do via a mistake in the code.   Yet people got banned for it.  so what is the difference between abuse of this exploit vs that one?

But it is neither.. THey have had what? 2 Months to change it or turn it off after how many complaints? T me that means it is Intentional and planned... NOt saying it is a Good "feature" just that that is how teh Devs seem to be treating it

Edited by CaptVonGunn

If the pirate vs pirate fights is intended as a true free for all, the spawn location for late entry should be in the middle of the action! That those who enter by circles spawn far away makes the outlaw battles a perfect hiding place to avoid combat with other nation players. And when the pirates uses this mechanic as a way to escape other nation players, it is an exploit!  But as long as the sneaky pirates shot each other just a little bit, then it is hard for the devs pass a judgment. 

So "easy" fix: Give all players the same spawn location when entering Outlaw battles, then you get a decent mayhem free for all battle! Also if the Outlaw battles gives invisibility cloak and speed boost, that should be removed..

@Scout I you wanted help with a suggestion to fix the Outlaw battle issue you might want to editing the thread title. If you just want to whine about the tribunal, I'm not sure the suggestion part of the forum is the right place to do it. 

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

If the pirate vs pirate fights is intended as a true free for all, the spawn location for late entry should be in the middle of the action!

That just makes it even more of a spawn trap. Tie loading times in and you will have lost your ship before the screen comes up.