Game-Labs Forum

UI Suggestion: Middle mouse unit-rotation method adjustment

SlappyMoose

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the suggested rotation mechanic?

• Yes, I like the new idea better
    • No, I'd prefer it as is
    • No, I want something different (elaborate in your reply)

As of now, middle clicking a unit causes a box representing the units formation to spin, letting the player rotate them left/right.

I simply propose that middle clicking a unit makes them face wherever the player drags the mouse. With this change, for example, if I want to reorient a big lump of units to face outwards in all directions, I click and drag outwards, causing the units to face outwards. With the old system, I have to middle click, figure out which way the units are facing, then drag left/right while making sure I'm not making my units face further in the wrong direction.

It's a intuitive and simple change, matching the very elegant left-click drag unit movement system currently in place. It's also faster and doesn't require that the player even look at the unit they are selecting: they grab a unit and tell them to face THIS direction with the flick of their hand, that's it.

• Like 1

The suggested concept is OK but the only thing I'd like to change is the use of the middle mouse button.

I didn't even realize that there was a feature available to adjust the facing of your units until just the other day when someone in this forum mentioned it.

For those that travel a lot, many of the mini travel mouse you buy do not come with a middle mouse button. There is usually only a left/right mouse button with a little side toggle that allows you to zoom in/out (sometimes not even that). Some mouse devices don't have a middle button but only a "wheel" which makes it easy to zoom in/out but trying to use it to hold and move around a unit is nearly impossible.

I suggest to use the right mouse button to click-hold and drag to get the unit to face in the direction I want. I know that there are a zillion hardware configurations out there and you can't cover them all but something like this is basic control of the game and should be considered.

• Like 1

Click and drag for facing would be best. I understand that this maybe an issue with future tablet users but a click drag for facing would be great. Maybe just holding down Ctrl or alt while doing it would suffice. Once you hit either key the colour of arrow could change to indicate that you are about to change facing.

• Like 1

I'd like to add something. I understand the issue being discussed and think that the suggestion being made might work, except that perhaps it would move one's troops.

Anyway... I'd like to see the direction of facing relate to the way the arrow points when you give a movement order. That way my reinforcements can arrive and form up facing in the right direction, or I can give a movement command to flank a unit without having to wait till it's in place before I change it's facing. Hope that makes sense, and I guess it's a variant of the suggestion being made.

Also, I'd like a facing arrow too.

As of now, middle clicking a unit causes a box representing the units formation to spin, letting the player rotate them left/right.

I simply propose that middle clicking a unit makes them face wherever the player drags the mouse. With this change, for example, if I want to reorient a big lump of units to face outwards in all directions, I click and drag outwards, causing the units to face outwards. With the old system, I have to middle click, figure out which way the units are facing, then drag left/right while making sure I'm not making my units face further in the wrong direction.

It's a intuitive and simple change, matching the very elegant left-click drag unit movement system currently in place. It's also faster and doesn't require that the player even look at the unit they are selecting: they grab a unit and tell them to face THIS direction with the flick of their hand, that's it.

I agree this is a very good idea, the current system is hard too handle and not smooth enought .

• 2 weeks later...

New idea would be good too. And shape of that square when you choosing which way unit is facing could be bit more visible.

Maybe arrow sticking out that square? or something. When unit is very small sometimes is hard to see straight away what's the right direction of that green square.

• Like 1