Game-Labs Forum

Check this out! These are amazing ship physics:

hearts of oak advertising

Our ships need more movement and bigger waves!

I see a sloop almost capsizing in 6 inch seas.

I'm definitely not looking to criticize Hearts of Oak, but I think that the lead dev has a long series of reality checks ahead of him. Using the built-in engine physics for ship-water interaction is a fine idea on paper, until you realize that real-life sailing is about 1000% more complex than what ships with cheap game engine dev tools, and the latter are wholly unequipped to deal with it, unless you build the ultimate sailing simulator and run it on a supercomputer. At the end of the day, a pre-baked animation would have looked just as well in those sea conditions, without the need to slavishly assign weight and friction values to every component of every vessel you make.

• Like 1

Looks great. :D

I don't think British could ever have the seamanship to capture the Constitution, though.   That's a tad unrealistic.   ;)

Got very close to doing so :P

Near the end of the war Constitution was returning to port having taken 2 small british warships as prizes (Cyane and Levant) and ran into a squadron of 3 British frigates. They were overhauling the Constitution when Cyane split off and ran, then for some reason the squadron leader took all 3 frigates after the Levant when she did the same and Constitution got away.

Even as a Brit I'm glad she got away, the RN wasn't very sentimental about keeping prizes...

the first version of the game did not have outside view. (a-la AC3 in combat)

But ships are too beautiful to not let players to look at them from the outside view. People persuaded us to get this feature done. 

The ships are beautiful, I would always like to look at them when sailing. 

I completely agree with that system!  Best of both worlds.  Combat should be proper speed.  And ships should have individual class specific speed characteristics.

Also when ships are really going 14 knots, real world speed, say USS Constitution, there would be ALOT of turbulence, huge bow wave, spray flying, and defined foamy wake.  Victories turbulence looks about correct for the wind state in the video but her speed is 3 times what it should be :)

Oh, and this is what a Big ship looks like going between 9 and 10 knots, YEAH BABY!! Look at that foam!  Just churning up the deep!  I always hated when East Indiamen are referred to as tea wagons, look at her go!  Shes not a 1850's tea clipper by any stretch but 192 NM is a fine days run, thats an average of 8 knots.

This x1000. The speed and the wave absolutly have to be rectified.

And imagine the impact of these waves would have on the shots. If you fire a fraction too late, the shots will go much higher or lower than what was expected. Even worse if it was during stormy conditions.

This would bring the gameplay on a much higher level, where you will have to predict the appropriate angel according to the trajectory time AND the correct time during a wave to fire. 

The height of the wave should also incredibly reduce the visibility of smaller ships.

If done properly, it would completely outperform any other naval game I have seen.

CoAS had a pretty good feel as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an old player of PotBS (dropped before Portalus get it and destroy it), I can say this game seems very interesting and promising.

Is very different, but people who like that kind of games, incl. me, will gladly play it, since PotBS is dead long time now.

Hope to see a launch date soon and we meet in game.

• 3 weeks later...

I check these forums  regularly, and these great vids justify that atttention. They really look great.

Absolutely, the quality of the vids is amazing. Even if I DO have to leave it a couple of seconds just so I can watch it in HD :P

From a purely aesthetic point of view I feel like there isnt quite enough gun smoke and that the impacts are a bit too "puffy".

Have a look at these recreation firings.  The first video is using gunpoweder, the second im not sure about but it shows the impacts against a mocked up wooden vessel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL13quhcUMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfsuIaTU92Y

If possible can you turn up the firing smoke and tune down the puffs from the impacts?

• Like 1

The reasons for the firing smoke and huge dust impacts are performance and ease of shot-tracking, respectively.

No game has every made blackpowder weapons smoky enough, because it kills framerates. The best we can hope for is probably an ultra smoke graphics options for high end PCs.

I assume that the awful impact FX and watermelon-sized roundshot are similarly placeholders. Just remember to complain about them later, because everyone is used to them right now and they could sneak into release.

well I hope that the game will either have: smoke or none.

Dont give several options on gunsmoke since its a MAJOR gameplay compartment.

If you cannot see the enemy you cant. Simple as that. Dont ever think of adding a mechanism to deactivate smoke.

I want smoke. A lot of smoke!

I am okay with different quality.

• Like 1

well I hope that the game will either have: smoke or none.

Dont give several options on gunsmoke since its a MAJOR gameplay compartment.

If you cannot see the enemy you cant. Simple as that. Dont ever think of adding a mechanism to deactivate smoke.

I want smoke. A lot of smoke!

I am okay with different quality.

Smoke is mostly visual - and this is why

in the multiplayer environment players will switch off smoke by modifying the client. it is very hard to control. 

It can only be solved if the smoke is server based - which will make it very expensive. 

so if smoke for you is a MAJOR gameplay component - it is not going to be for cheaters who modify the client or textures. 

currently all gameplay elements are on the server (ONLY), even our water is. if smoke is a gameplay element it should be on the server as well. 

• Like 2

This really is quite a beautiful game. Realistic or close to numbers of crew on deck and in the rigging and a bit of weather or clear day, either is fine and I would quite happily just playing this as a sailing sim. The combat is just going to be the spice of the dish for me. :)

Am I the only one who finds the rate at which sails are being made and reduced ridiculous? Sails are just going up and down in a matter of seconds as if it's some sort of superfine throttle. In reality tens of people had to climb up to the yardarms and it took even a well trained crew several minutes to lower a single sail. I know this is not to be a 'sailing simulator', but come on. Is this another concession in favor of 'gameplay'? Why?

I read somewhere that speed can also be adjusted the realistic way, i.e. by turning the sails relative to the wind. Why not make that the primary control, just by making the raising and lowering of sails like 5 or 10 times slower? Then you really need to think ahead before you give the command to make sail. Now THAT I call gameplay.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that speed can also be adjusted the realistic way, i.e. by turning the sails relative to the wind. Why not make that the primary control, just by making the raising and lowering of sails like 5 or 10 times slower?

I've been calling for that, and the devs reduced the sail speed by 30% in the most recent patch. So using yard controls instead of W/S is already a good tactic. However, it isn't entirely reliable because of oddities with ship behavior when sails are backed.

In reality tens of people had to climb up to the yardarms and it took even a well trained crew several minutes to lower a single sail.

Well, yes and no. Sails can be clewed up simply pulling on lines that run to the deck. The yard doesn't have to move an inch, so AFAIK it's even faster and easier than bracing around and spilling the wind. So although the animation ends up with the sail being furled, in my happy place I imagine it as clewed up (and the courses on the 'Frigate' currently do have that appearance).

Sails can be clewed up simply pulling on lines that run to the deck. The yard doesn't have to move an inch, so AFAIK it's even faster and easier than bracing around and spilling the wind.

OK, I didn't know that. So maybe it's not that bad after all. Thanks for the info.

Another thing I was wondering about is visual damage: currently there isn't much (or any) yet. I suppose this will be added later? One thing I actually liked in ETW is that cannonballs could pull the sails along with them before punching a hole in them: that looked really nice. And of course falling spars and masts. Hope this will be added soon.