Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

I love the graphics of this game but are you considering that you could alienate your players by making it so graphics dependent that many people's computers wont be able to handle it. You could have a great and beautiful game but no population.

I think that the current average computer is able to play games to a degree. (Excluding work computers, you aren't supposed to be gaming afterall ;)) Nowadays a computer either packs in an Intel HD 4000 or an entry level discrete graphics card or an AMD Apu, such as the trinity based Processor.

Take a look to Gaijin's War Thunder. It is a beautiful game, even at the lowest settings! It's a very well optimized game with lots of graphic options and renders in order to provide a good fps amount.

Of course that it's a different game, it uses mostly the graphics card so even a dual core processor can max out the graphics.

If Naval action requires a good processor and a good gpu altogether, that may alienate people imo.

Also, my question is, is Naval Action based on the CryEngine? If yes that's good news. Cryengine can be optimized to mind boggling levels!

Warthunder at lowest settings just looks-- aweful if you know how it CAN look.

blackouts last longer and are way more darkened and other stuff wich will kill your game-feeling. I played on my laptop intel i3/HD4k and 4gig ram for 2-3 months bevore I got myself a decent PC. I wont recommend Warthunder on a low end computer. its ugly and you are not competetive.

Naval Action runs on best details/setting with 70+FPS. My rig? itel i53570k(stock), AMD 7950oc-ed, 8gig ram.

I can check If the game runs smoothly on my laptop. but not right now.

I dont know if im allowed to tell further information but my Computer is just fine with the game right now.

for the engine:

maybe you check this thread out. first page of the questions-section btw.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/305-what-engine-are-you-guys-using-for-this-game/

Warthunder at lowest settings just looks-- aweful if you know how it CAN look.

blackouts last longer and are way more darkened and other stuff wich will kill your game-feeling. I played on my laptop intel i3/HD4k and 4gig ram for 2-3 months bevore I got myself a decent PC. I wont recommend Warthunder on a low end computer. its ugly and you are not competetive.

Naval Action runs on best details/setting with 70+FPS. My rig? itel i53570k(stock), AMD 7950oc-ed, 8gig ram.

I can check If the game runs smoothly on my laptop. but not right now.

I dont know if im allowed to tell further information but my Computer is just fine with the game right now.

for the engine:

maybe you check this thread out. first page of the questions-section btw.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/305-what-engine-are-you-guys-using-for-this-game/

Hmm, when I tried the ultra low settings on my desktop it looked cool, perhaps due to my old 1600x900 monitor I guess.

Hmm, looks like Naval Action already runs ok, but your card isn't a weak one. It has the raw power. I can't say anything else since I really don't know much about the subject. (Not a tester)

Thanks for the link! It cleared up some doubts I had!

Are you guys planning on implementing sea/coastal currents into the game? especially near shallows and islands, I think this would create some very intersting game mechanics.

~ Brigand

(Also: should I have asked my question about musketmen in this thread instead?)

Once we are all satisfied with the combat mechanics we can experiment with currents and wind gusts etc. But remember it is just a game. Currents will cause all sorts of problems on the visualization front and making gameplay harder for newbies. 

an easy and fast question:

will there be carronades?

short barreled, fast reloading but horribly inaccurate at over ~250 meters. (not sure about that number)

carronades will be in game. they are already modelled - just awaiting implementation

• Like 2

We all know its there, but it doesnt seem like anyone want to take the courage and ask it.
We have had a lot of new russian companies, or well, some, Wargaming and Gaijin mostly, who have gotten real big..
Anyway, in the beginning they listened to everyone equally, but as the time go on..
They simply focus more on what the russian community wants, and at the moment you guys need us all, so, basically,

Can you promise me that wont happen over here? :(

Anyway, seems like you guys are doing great, even though the limitation of unity (graphics wise) :)
But have you bought them certificates yet? or are you using the 75/month?

• Like 1

We all know its there, but it doesnt seem like anyone want to take the courage and ask it.

We have had a lot of new russian companies, or well, some, Wargaming and Gaijin mostly, who have gotten real big..

Anyway, in the beginning they listened to everyone equally, but as the time go on..

They simply focus more on what the russian community wants, and at the moment you guys need us all, so, basically,

I totally agree with you! It's very frustating when a company doesn't listen to their customers...

1.Have you put together a trailer for us to watch and show our friends (hype them up about the game)? If no eta?

2.Also, any information about the advertising of the game? TV,net ext..

3.Will N.A. be bought in local stores like Walmart, or will it be via internet download only?

Thanks, I'm excited to Pirate the high seas here as I do on POTBS tiggy...arrr!

I worked at Wargaming before and can guarantee that they try to listen to users. When companies become too big they react slow just like Microsoft. And they really want success in the west (just like with Russian community) but cant keep up. It's the law of physics - big companies - slow; small companies - fast. We will try to keep the team small and nimble for as long as possible.

• Like 1

1.Have you put together a trailer for us to watch and show our friends (hype them up about the game)? If no eta?

2.Also, any information about the advertising of the game? TV,net ext..

3.Will N.A. be bought in local stores like Walmart, or will it be via internet download only?

Thanks, I'm excited to Pirate the high seas here as I do on POTBS tiggy...arrr!

• 1) We will use development diaries initially - no cash for trailers yet.
  • 2) Advertising - viral, word of mouth, press, specialized forums, Navy and museums. (initially). We will be delighted if you share it with those who you think our target audience is.
  • 3) Steam/Download only - maybe in the future we will have a special boxed edition for Walmart (or Mystic Seaport bookstore)

• 2 weeks later...

What role will gold (as a currency) play in the game, how will players acquire it and how will it get drained from the game again?

How durable are warships supposed to be, how long should an undamaged rated ship last in battle when fired upon by equal ships through the broadside (no raking)?

I know the second question is a tough one, but I feel that's a question the POTBS developers never asked themselves, and as a result we had heavily armored warships sunk in a single focused volley in all kinds of battles, which plainly is the main reason the group PVP was restricted to the elite, inexperienced players were slaughtered so fast.

What exactly will our representation in game will be, will we be an individual person of that age with a name, a nationality and a career background like POTBS did, even if not represented by a 3D avatar?

What role will gold (as a currency) play in the game, how will players acquire it and how will it get drained from the game again?

How durable are warships supposed to be, how long should an undamaged rated ship last in battle when fired upon by equal ships through the broadside (no raking)?

I know the second question is a tough one, but I feel that's a question the POTBS developers never asked themselves, and as a result we had heavily armored warships sunk in a single focused volley in all kinds of battles, which plainly is the main reason the group PVP was restricted to the elite, inexperienced players were slaughtered so fast.

What exactly will our representation in game will be, will we be an individual person of that age with a name, a nationality and a career background like POTBS did, even if not represented by a 3D avatar?

From what I gather, gold has not yet been implemented into the game. Admin will have to verify this as well as give you any real information on the subject. As for combat, there are a number of testers who will probably be able to answer better then I. Players have to use the pitch and roll of their ship to aim in NC combat, unlike PoTBS which was less realistic. Because captains are going to be relying on their own skills in game as well as the elements (weather) around them I would assume it's a lot more difficult to focus fire. That, and gun crews would have to aim for below the waterline to sink a ship. Otherwise ships of the line can (and should be able to in game also) take massive punishment. I think the best way to achieve this kind of realism is do away with the armour and hull health bars that PoTBS used, however theres no point in me redesigning the wheel here as combat is one of the things that testers are... well, testing. :)

• Like 1

It was suggested that I repost this in 'questions to developers' so I did, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject. :)

When it comes to bounties and attacking neutral or enemy ships, will some sort of 'grapevine' system be introduced? For example, I am a rouge captain and I raid an NPC. I loot their wares, sink their ship and kill all the crew. No survivors means nobody but myself and my crew know it was we who raided that ship, therefore my bounty should not be increased. Now lets say I raided that ship and let them go, or they escaped, or my ship was sunk before I could press home the attack. They are then free to tell of the ordeal, and who it was that attacked them. Therefore my bounty with that Nation would be increased. Furthermore, if I attack a French vessel and my bounty is increased in France, would it also be increased in England, Spain, etc? Will the bounty system be a global bounty, or a national bounty? Will it's increase be universal, or will the amount be greater in the nation to which my target belonged, less with that nation's allies, and not change with that nation's enemies? I hope I'm making sense...  :P

Regards,

Theo

Lets look at this from a slightly different angle.  This is going  to be a simulation style of game play. During the "Age of Sail", many people spoke different languages, dutch, french, spanish, and english, along with a host of others.  As much as I dislike trying to read through a bunch of different languages to spot my own. I don't think a game of this nature should be restricted to a single one. What we can do however is ask the devs for advanced chat options. Like group tabs, or delegated channels.

Lets look at this from a slightly different angle.  This is going  to be a simulation style of game play. During the "Age of Sail", many people spoke different languages, dutch, french, spanish, and english, along with a host of others.  As much as I dislike trying to read through a bunch of different languages to spot my own. I don't think a game of this nature should be restricted to a single one. What we can do however is ask the devs for advanced chat options. Like group tabs, or delegated channels.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at by saying adds to the gameplay. Thank you for being clearer than I was. :)

As others have asked, Will there be shallow water and reefs to allow smaller ships a tactical advantage, in shore?

Will there mountainous waves and storms?  PvW  Player vs. weather? 

Will there be famous ships and NPC commanders?  Will I be able to hunt down and sink an NPC HMS Leopard or HMS Shannon?

As others have asked, Will there be shallow water and reefs to allow smaller ships a tactical advantage, in shore?

Will there mountainous waves and storms?  PvW  Player vs. weather? 

Will there be famous ships and NPC commanders?  Will I be able to hunt down and sink an NPC HMS Leopard or HMS Shannon?

Shallow water or deep water ports and areas are planned

Huge waves are already in game

cw7VTK1.gif

Famous NPC and commanders - we hope players will become such and you will be hunting them. 

A question to the devs:

If another thread we were talking about different types of ammo you can use in combat versus enemy ships, I wanted to know if you have (or eventually will) add in crew combat control. For example, I can tell my crew to aim for spars, ropes, masts and crew.

I load single roundshot, and tell my crew to aim for the enemy masts. 

0% bonus to mast accuracy from ammo type

10% bonus to mast accuracy from crew order

or

I load bar shot, and tell my crew to aim for the enemy masts.

10% bonus to mast accuracy from ammo type

10% bonus to mast accuracy from crew order

That all being said, this question is mostly invalid if you don't plan to give bonuses to accuracy during combat.

I may halp you out with this:

you have to aim yourself.

You are not like in potbs klicking buttons and see the ship/crew do things. YOU have to aim for whatever part of the ship you like and you still have to sail your ship.

Everyone asking questions here has to get away from the POTBS thinking. We are not 3rd person, clicking skillbuttons and stuff.

We are actually captaining, sailing, shooting and managing the crew on ourself.

A doubt appeared in my mind so I had to ask.

Right now the current graphics engine is Unity, which is good for fast testing and prototyping, while delivering stunning graphics.

My question is, is the release version going to use Unity? Maybe it could be CryEngine 3 for even better graphics and playability, without the need for fast prototyping since the game is, well, released.

Have a good day!