Game-Labs Forum

It's a game!

Both myself and my son are waiting on computer upgrades before we can get into the actual game. My apologies for being rude as well. Just hate to see a potentially great game go south because it's too realistic. Especially for my old joints lol.

I'm more in the gameplay camp as well. 

But the thing I love most about this game is the complexity and depth of the combat most of which derives from the realism aspects that have been adopted into the game.  Everyone's opinion should be welcome but, until you've actually been in a number of battles and have started to get a feel for actually using the various strategies and tactics, I'd say you may not have a full grasp of the various tradeoffs the devs have made.

So far I'd say they've done pretty well.

To all those people banging on about Gameplay > Realism, can I just ask why it is that you're here and not playing one of the countless other age of sail games out there?

I'm asking this genuinely and without a hint of sarcasm or mischief intended. I know the reason why I'm here, I think most NA players and forum members do too but I won't bias the question or the answers by adding it.

• Like 2

To all those people banging on about Gameplay > Realism, can I just ask why it is that you're here and not playing one of the countless other age of sail games out there?

I'm asking this genuinely and without a hint of sarcasm or mischief intended. I know the reason why I'm here, I think most NA players and forum members do too but I won't bias the question or the answers by adding it.

To be fair.

Can you name say the top 5 age of sail games and why you dont find them suitable?

Myself I hate the top down view a lot have, any kind of magic or sea monsters nonsense. Also any type of power up bonuses are crap in my book. Generic ship classes such as galleon, frigate etc not a fan of. Anime looking ships are just ugly. There was one I can't remember that was primarily trade based. Me and some friends kinda killed that one with our violent approach. So there's that lol.

So what's that leave?

Edited by Ruthless4u

There will NEVER be a 100% accurate Age of Sail Sim,its just too slow.Who wants to sit back for half an hour plus while your little crew Weigh Anchor?Then wait minutes to set the sails.It would be Financial Suicide.NA so far is the ONLY AOS genre Game that has a good balance between Game  and Simulation.We and the Devs dont want an Arcade style Game,but one that relies on the Skills of Each Captain while retaining that Era's feel.Sure there are Pirate/AOS games out there but they sacrifice a lot to "Arcadism".Lets use an analogy here.I play Trainsim,its pretty damn close to Driving a Steam Loco as you get,but who would want to wait 6 to 10 hours for a stone cold Loco to build up Steam?Thats the same as crossing vast swages of Ocean.I think that NA WILL end up as one of the Best if not THE BEST AOS Games ever made.We must all remember that NA is like a baby that hasnt even learnt to walk yet,we have a long way to go but we WILL get there!

• Like 1

i'm actually happy that my pc doesnt spit salt water in my eye with everywave.

I wish my PC did, and I may need to get one of these:p hahaha http://www.gizmag.com/scentscape-system-adds-smells-to-games-and-videos/17615/, having a scent of gunpowder and seawater would be awsome:D, and maybe add a fan to get that wind going:p

I used to have a can of AVGAS under my desk when flightsimming, but I started to get solvent-induced so I had to stop that practice:D

Im here for the realism that other games like this doesnt offer, I just crave for more realism than this game has in its current state:p

Edited by kaboki

I have in germany a 'boating certificate' (called 'Segelschein') but for me anyway its not as important to simulate all handgrips for sailing, more like i wrote before something believable, still entertaining as a game. For my historical interest i want also (again ;)) a believable timeline, no ship-designs only covering really superficial tastes, because someone likes more 'hansekogge' the other 'caravels' and so on. If i read first 18ct. maritime warfare i never thought about galleons, spanish morion helmets... or thirty years war pointed beards, also no steam powered boats and ships. Same for ship-design fashion. So i nearly pray for NA as a game absolutely fun to play but without the stale aftertaste satisfying only arbitrary individual tastes. Its for me not the question realism or not, its the fact there exist nearly only fantasy-pirate 'naval' games and i want at least 'one' naval game covering in some aspects also my taste.

Here i played some single matches (and i like the momentary 'few' ships very much), but like all such match-games its like testing the foundation of a hopefully real interesting game, nothing more. So i must wait for open world, but also that is not all i need for gameplay-fun :).

Edited by Theuerdank
  • Like 2

just got back to ow...

Lynx... it's so frustrating to aim i cant even describe it.

Often i cant hit an enemy lynx when standing still because the damn ship heels so much from every wave. It's a pain! 

Please do not change the lynx.  It is one of my favorite ships.  That and the privateer.  They are perfect in my opinion.  If you change the starting experience, change what the starting ship is, not the ship itself.

just got back to ow...

Lynx... it's so frustrating to aim i cant even describe it.

Often i cant hit an enemy lynx when standing still because the damn ship heels so much from every wave. It's a pain! 

Hey Puchu,

You shouldn't have heeling problems anymore.  There is a feature to stop it.  Go to battle sails, figure out this new feature, use it in conjunction with battle sails, and no more heeling.  I'm not going to reveal the feature though, but it is there.

Thx for the advice PraTer :D

But that's not the point. The damn lynx heels so much even when im on 0 sails. 

The thing is, that the starting experience for new players is really hard. The lynx heels, they dont know all the features, other lynxes, cutters and so on are really hard to hit, even for me. they dont know about carronades, they will get frustrated a lot. That's definitely an issue. It's not about changing the so highly praised lynx with all his accurate characteristics. It is about making the starting experience for new players pleasant and have a learning curve that actually goes up and not start with a ship that is just a pain to sail, even for ppl who (i might considermyself so) actually know what they are doing.

There's a new feature that pretty much stops the heeling though.

I think players should have a choice in which ship they want to sail.  There should be like a 6 gun brig and perhaps a 6 or 8 gun lugger or some other ship, along with the Lynx.  The Lynx really is kind of difficult to master, but it is an awesome ship.  Yesterday I was able to fight off a British Navy Brig (carronades) and Lynx (both players).  I wish I caught the Navy Brig alone, otherwise he would have been mine :D

• Like 1

When I think about the Steam community, I think about the thousands who will be following / playing this game.  No matter how realistic you make this game, you will have people finding a way to break the immersion, troll, or somehow ruin the experience.  It is the simple truth when it comes to open world multiplayer.  I haven't played  the game yet but the only realistic issue I have is with navigation.  Marking your place on a map when ever you have made contact or go into battle would be a gamey solution that opens barrier to entry.  Other than that, the way ships handles or what ships we start with should make no difference to the starting experience. 

When I think about the Steam community, I think about the thousands who will be following / playing this game.  No matter how realistic you make this game, you will have people finding a way to break the immersion, troll, or somehow ruin the experience.  It is the simple truth when it comes to open world multiplayer.

Very true, reading some post it seems a few either don't belive it's possible or that the those types of players won't bother with this game.

Will be interesting to see what the modding community comes up with.

Very true, reading some post it seems a few either don't belive it's possible or that the those types of players won't bother with this game.

Will be interesting to see what the modding community comes up with.

Well if it does happen how do we combat it?  See that's when the game stops being fun and starts being a chore....now if the game starts putting a bounty on players heads for trolling or players ruining the experiences now that might make it more of a sport wouldn't you think?

Also I hadn't heard that modding would be possible.  That might solve some of the issues with tediousness with regards to navigation / mapping and so on.

The only modding this game should support should be 3rd party created content officially added into the game after  careful review and acceptance by the developers. Such as new ship models done by players and then added to the game by the devs. Nothing else.

Otherwise we'll end up with a bazillion of stupid things as the "weakspot skins" in WoT or the dreaded "aim here to get a cookie" in World of Crapships. Just.No.Way.In:Hell.

• Like 7

Normally most 'historical based' games end modded in "hello kitty", "my little pony" or manga skins/banners with very "nice" colours (preferred pink and purple), if players can do it. Factly all possible in a computergame will be done (because the possibility is programmed).^^

The only time you would see such stuff on your end is if someone takes a screenshot or uploads it to YT.  Quite frankly, it doesn't affect you because it only makes the change on the person's personal computer.