Game-Labs Forum

World of Warships

Thonar

I really burnt some time in Navyfield 1, couldn´t get into Navyfield 2, which just appeared to be a dumbed down NF1, with a little better graphics.

I played only a few hours WoWs but it seensms even more dumbed down than Navyfield 2 and taken out any requirement for skill. Anyhow, I would not put it on a level with NF1.

I'm not sure I understand these comments about WoWS lacking the need for skill. Certainly the mechanics are not difficult, and aiming, for instance, is relatively easy; but as you progress up the tiers, strategy becomes important. You can't just sail around shooting things, not even in a DD. those who work together utilizing ship cooperation as one would expect, cruisers providing AA for battleships for instance, have a significant advantage. Not unlike NA, team play is quite important.

I think you may be confusing skill and strategy/teamwork. In WoWS there is no effect from wind on your maneuverability, heel, speed, or range of fire. Granted these things shouldn't affect a warship as it would tall ship but it also results in less variables to deal with in a combat scenario.

You range of fire is only limited by your type of guns and you can sail in any direction without regard to the wind. This takes a massive amount of depth out of the combat compared to Naval Action. Yes, there is teamwork and strategy but because of the absence of these elements it is much more point and shoot based. I think that's what most people are arguing.

I'm not sure I understand these comments about WoWS lacking the need for skill. Certainly the mechanics are not difficult, and aiming, for instance, is relatively easy; but as you progress up the tiers, strategy becomes important. You can't just sail around shooting things, not even in a DD. those who work together utilizing ship cooperation as one would expect, cruisers providing AA for battleships for instance, have a significant advantage. Not unlike NA, team play is quite important.

I would have to disagree. With a BB, I'll sail at the edge and shoot everything that's red. All my 4+ kill matches have gone like that. There are a few places to go- west, east, or the middle. A, B or C. As a DD, it's always the same. Sail around, get spotted, wiggle around and launch torps and then run away while popping smoke. The only time I've seen teamwork really make a difference is making anti-air formations or going for a cap. If maps were larger, then where you go would matter, but in a minute or two you could already change your direction and be at the other side of the map. 

Yeah, as a group you'll do better simply because you have more firepower and you spread the HP. But that applies to a lot of games. But it's the simple mechanics that kill the game for me, at 20km all you have to do is fire 1 turret at a time and you'll get hits easy. No need to adjust for anything besides some shell travel time. However skill is also pretty important. I've played against some of the best BB players back in Alpha, and they'll 1-2 salvo a lot of ships in their battleships. If you know where to aim, you'll be getting massive damage salvos. The best DD players will attack you when you least expect them and had no idea they were coming, and the best carrier captains can make a wall of torpedo bombers guaranteed to do massive damage. 

I loved WoT because of how much depth really lies masked under the simple at first mechanics. Easy to pick up, hard to master. The thing about WoWS is that it's easy to pick up but doesn't have that master part. 

Well it was clear that WOWs is never going to exceed the skilllevel we have on WoT.

It basically is WoT with a lot more inertance.

Shooting is way too easy, ships evade like tanks would, DDs are the invisible ninjas, BBs randomly do between 10 and 120k dmge..

All in all I think they made a nice RNG game. You are so dependant on the players of your team that you will soon be feeling the sadness you do in WoT. (I casually play both but get annoyed soon when I see how the teams play out. Not much room for you to carry if your an average player)

They could have done better. Now all they have to do is balance the ships and have a good appeal to the masses.

Just like WoT wich is running on its own.

Oh and btw: the grafics are a joke.. we have 2015 and they cannot design ships with HD texturepacks.. My GPU is laughing its ass off while NA is really demanding (and looks epic)

I looked at it, but it looked like COD for WW2 warships.  I don't think it is my style of game.  It is too fast and arcade for my tastes.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great game or anything, just not for me.  The whole popping smoke thing was probably the nail in the casket for me.

P.s.  In Naval Action we have smoke from our guns that obscure our view.  I wonder what it will be like to be in the leeward line in a Line Fight with a dozen or so Sols on each side.

save youg uys some time and get Destroyer Comand it doenst look pretty but thats because its Silent Hunter 2 with Destroyers.

sadly Jewbisoft take down the servers befor you could play together with Silenthunter 2 players hunting down players in subs with players in destroyers.

i think gamelabs should do an remake of it we alrleady nailed the ship physics so why not? atleast we prevent the shity developers from geting more money out of under developed arcade games.

save youg uys some time and get Destroyer Comand it doenst look pretty but thats because its Silent Hunter 2 with Destroyers.

sadly Jewbisoft take down the servers befor you could play together with Silenthunter 2 players hunting down players in subs with players in destroyers.

i think gamelabs should do an remake of it we alrleady nailed the ship physics so why not? atleast we prevent the shity developers from geting more money out of under developed arcade games.

I remember playing Silent hunter on the NES back in the day. Man I miss that game.