Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.6 Feedback<<< (Update RC)

I think warship weights - both in terms of AI design preferences, and the actual weight of components - could use a second pass so ships better approximate the historical balance of power plant, protection and firepower in a given displacement. I realize this is tricky, but I'm finding AI ships are still overgunned, both in comparison to historical ships of the same nation and period, and for how many weapons could fit in a given displacement. 

I could look for specific examples from references and in game, but I'm wondering if anyone shares this general impression? 

• Like 1

we need some new towers for late battleships with some in build barbette for the british so we can build ships like warspite and royal sovereign and it would be awesome to see some new bc hulls for the british in 1900 like the bc l bc ll bc lll could use a new hull the current one have been there since launch before steam early acces

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:44 PM, kineu.a.hansen said:

we need some new towers for late battleships with some in build barbette for the british so we can build ships like warspite and royal sovereign and it would be awesome to see some new bc hulls for the british in 1900 like the bc l bc ll bc lll could use a new hull the current one have been there since launch before steam early acces

Speaking of Late Battleship Towers, it would be really cool to get a US Modern Compact Tower setup similar to the South Dakotas. They had a much smaller tower than the North Carolinas and Iowas, but still packed in the 10 twin 5/38s on the superstructure.

• Like 1

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.6 Feedback<<< (Update 3)

(Update 3 - 25/7/2024)
- Added back all hull models/guns of v1.5+  that were missing temporarily.  Saves had to be reset. You need to restart campaigns (Please note, that during beta, this procedure will happen occasionally).
- Fine tuned accuracy and ship damage model.
- Crew damage has been fine tuned. Please check if now is more suitable.
- Ship instability and sea motion mechanics have received a new balance.
- Fine tuned ship maintenance, costs in campaign.
- Improved Campaign AI initial fleet composure (will use one extra year, very fast, to build ships).
- Ship weights balances.
- Auto-Design became faster and more effective, producing ships with good protection.
- Further improvement on weather visuals.
- Various minor improvements on UI.
- Other minor fixes, optimizations and improvements.

Please restart Steam to get the update

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

(Update 3 - 25/7/2024)
- Added back all hull models/guns of v1.5+  that were missing temporarily.  Saves had to be reset. You need to restart campaigns (Please note, that during beta, this procedure will happen occasionally).
- Fine tuned accuracy and ship damage model.
- Crew damage has been fine tuned. Please check if now is more suitable.
- Ship instability and sea motion mechanics have received a new balance.
- Fine tuned ship maintenance, costs in campaign.
- Improved Campaign AI initial fleet composure (will use one extra year, very fast, to build ships).
- Ship weights balances.
- Auto-Design became faster and more effective, producing ships with good protection.
- Further improvement on weather visuals.
- Various minor improvements on UI.
- Other minor fixes, optimizations and improvements.

a lot of the shipbuilding changes seem to be broken for this update.

• weight offsets are far too sensitive to engines
  • engines weigh too much, making it hard to get any ship past 33 knots, even with gas turbines
  • picking up a turret changes it to the mk1 variant. funny, but it gets a bit tedious when building large ships.
  • ships cost too much again as a result of increased engine weights
  • placing some objects to the fore of the ship increases the aft weight offset, and other unexplainable weight offset shennanigans. 
    • how does the game calculate weight offset to begin with? I would think that 100 percent fore weight offset would be all of the ship's weight around the fore peak bulkhead, and 100 percent aft weight offset being the same with the weight around the aft peak bulkhead, with the center being at the longitudinal center of floatation for the empty hull. 
  • that being said, it is nice to have all of the missing hulls back again.

as for the battle changes:

• fires and HE spam are still a problem, though not as bad as last patch. really should still be around 1.5.1.6 levels of crew fatalities. 
  • huge amount of lag when a ship is on fire (3 to 4 fps)
  • all of the guns in battle have the mk1 stats and not what theyre supposed to have

haven't got around to the campaign changes considering the ghastly state of the weight changes.

also funny cursed CA courtesy of the new ship editor bugs:

NtmDIXu.jpeg

(Hotfix Update 4 - 26/7/2024)
- Urgent fix, reverting changes allowing guns of older technology to appear in the ship constructor and refit processes. This experimental feature will be canceled because it will cause a lot of issues as we have checked on the beta. We are sorry for the temporary inconvenience. Saves had to be reverted again and we will focus on fixing some minor issues you reported to us, then we will start adding the new ships and models.

- Urgent fix, reverting changes allowing guns of older technology to appear in the ship constructor and refit processes. This experimental feature will be canceled because it will cause a lot of issues as we have checked on the beta. We are sorry for the temporary inconvenience. Saves had to be reverted again and we will focus on fixing some minor issues you reported to us, then we will start adding the new ships and models.

weight offsets have been fixed for the most part, but funnel placement still seems to cause serious issues. 

seems to noticeably affect any ship that is designed for more than 27 knots

Edited by Werwaz

we will focus on fixing some minor issues you reported to us

Hopium for a flag fix, at least for the most nonsense ones.

Is it just possible to keeo the older mounts when refiting ships and not replacing them by default with newer models? In lot of instances refited ships becomes unusable when older shielded guns are forcedly replaced by turreted newer version (which can mot fit to the older hulls). It just makes refits unusable. 

• Like 3

Would it be possible to do what RTW does and have guns with less than 2 inches of armour be shielded and guns with more than that turreted? It would fix the problem w refits, and also allow those protected cruisers and other hulls to remain usable.

• Like 2

Has autosave been disabled with the new 1.6 rev? Reason I ask... Just switched over to it earlier tonight, got ten years into a new campaign and loving how smooth and crash free it feels, when there's a power cut... nothing bad, power came back about a second after it tripped. But when I got the PC rebooted and launched Steam again, there's no saved campagin to reload... What gives??

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.6 Feedback<<< (Update 4)
15 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

Is it just possible to keeo the older mounts when refiting ships and not replacing them by default with newer models? In lot of instances refited ships becomes unusable when older shielded guns are forcedly replaced by turreted newer version (which can mot fit to the older hulls). It just makes refits unusable. 

Unfortunately It is something very complex to do, not worthy for the bugs it will bring to the game or to the unnecessary clutter in the UI that most players will find annoying. 

15 hours ago, Werwaz said:

something is wrong with this ship

RPEj2Nm.jpeg

it is a rare and old annoying issue of UI, which gives a false positive warning. If you  unmount/mount the guns, you can find what is causing it and will be fixed. We will check to find the reason and fix the bug.

15 hours ago, DougToss said:

Would it be possible to do what RTW does and have guns with less than 2 inches of armour be shielded and guns with more than that turreted? It would fix the problem w refits, and also allow those protected cruisers and other hulls to remain usable.

We already utilize weight to allow maximum amount of armor. According to the 3D model, some guns can be having no armor at all, others can have light armor and so on.

13 hours ago, justMike247 said:

Has autosave been disabled with the new 1.6 rev? Reason I ask... Just switched over to it earlier tonight, got ten years into a new campaign and loving how smooth and crash free it feels, when there's a power cut... nothing bad, power came back about a second after it tripped. But when I got the PC rebooted and launched Steam again, there's no saved campagin to reload... What gives??

We made an urgent fix and save reset last night. It must have been this the reason.

• Like 2

Moving from shielded to turreted guns makes for most of the problems. Does the game distinguish shielded from turreted guns? If so, refit screen shoul'd stick to only the last version of shielded gun. Or at least older cruiser hulls shoul'd not get upgrades to turreted guns by default.

@Nick Thomadis is it just possible to add "no guns upgrade" button to the refit UI that woul'd leave original pre-refit guns and thus by this way leave option to player too keep them?

Edited by Zuikaku
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

it is a rare and old annoying issue of UI, which gives a false positive warning. If you  unmount/mount the guns, you can find what is causing it and will be fixed. We will check to find the reason and fix the bug.

After replacing the guns and funnels on the ship, it appears to have something to do with both the engine spaces and the armored citadel.

when moving the guns around on the ship, the balance point is massively affected by a slight extension of the citadel. the problem is made worse with heavier gun turrets.

in addition, moving the funnels on the ship seems to have an extreme effect on the weight offset as well. moving the engine spaces a little in either direction causes massive weight offsets. higher speed makes this problem worse.

both problems become totally game breaking when beam and draft are set to maximum. 

• Like 2

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.6 Feedback<<< (Update 5)

(Update 5 - 28/7/2024)
- The ship costs have been balanced to be more inline with historical data as per popular request. Slight ship weight adjustments have been made. Campaign's economy has been adjusted accordingly. Saves had to be reset. Hopefully no more resets will be needed, until we start adding new hulls.
- Fixed old issue, crew quarters not having a cost in campaign.
- Ship motion at sea mechanics further improvements.
- Battle AI improvement on its overall priority logic.
- Balanced Ship instability and fixed issues that have been reported.

• Like 4

On 7/18/2024 at 9:53 AM, Darth Khyron said:

I seem to be stuck in the loading screen with the new version. I tried several times, yet there is only a picture with description and "...Loading...". I exited the program after a quarter of an hour. What am I doing wrong?

This title does not like AMD Enhanced Sync - check if it is active in the driver settings. (if applicable)

• Like 1

Is it just me or do ships seem to surrender 50-60% of the time now? I will sink ships sometimes (usually a BB vs a Cl) or something a kin to that but even then it seems like ships surrender more often then not.  

On 7/30/2024 at 9:12 PM, mrfox1918 said:

The AI can keep their junk, in 3 years of playing this game I have never seen 1 AI built ship I would want in my fleet. xD

While I agree, the fact that you can now refit them is cool. I had a trophy battlefleet in my latest campaign, made up entirely from ships I received as war reparations that were refitted (welllll... rebuilt is more like it) for service in a not shitty navy. You get hulls you normally don't have access to that way, and since you're stuck with the hull as it is, you have to sometimes think outside the box a bit to make a good design. Makes for a fun exercise.

• Like 2

Just had a battle in 1896.  One of my BBs suffered 7 hits from enemy guns, 6 hits  from 4-inch and 1 hit from 3-inch guns for a total of 174 damage to the hull with an average penetration of 0.3 inches of armor.  My BB had 12 inches of main belt, 14 inches of conning tower and turret armors, and 6 inches of fore and aft belt with 6 inches of superstructure armor.

The issue I have is that this BB suffered over 3,392 damage points of fire losing 195 crew or 26.9% of the total crew.  For a non-critical hit, especially ones that did not even dent the armor, too much secondary damage was caused from these hits.

I believe that this mechanic needs to be reverted back to 1.5.1.6 before getting a second pass from the dev team before being rolled out again.

• Like 2