Game-Labs Forum

runners

As long as they are still fighting. If the person is just sailing around staying out of combat because they don't want a defeat and want to force a draw, that is the reason the zone was put in the game in the first place, to stop them from wasting everyone's time and pretending that they are "testing the sailing system of running away" as people used to say.

The biggest problem I see are the people who are in important ships and stay on the edge of combat so they don't sink and it ends up that the rest of their team sinks because they weren't sharing the damage by being in the combat with the rest of their team.

What is the saying? "If you are not under fire you are not at your station." (edit: actual quotation "Each captain is at his post if he is under fire.")

I will definitely second this.

One thing I hate more than runners is the bone idle sods that do not even move, there is one player (mentioning no names) that always sails in the HMS Victory that refuses to move unless his smaller team mates draw the enemy to him. This means that you have to kite the enemy fleet, getting shot at the entire time and pray they get in range of Mr X's guns before you sink, he then proceeds to sink the enemy and rack up a massive score.

You are not required to sail with this person.  If you enter a match and they are there, simply exit the match and go join another.  Let them take on the enemy team all alone if they will not support their fellow Captains.

You are not required to sail with this person.  If you enter a match and they are there, simply exit the match and go join another.  Let them take on the enemy team all alone if they will not support their fellow Captains.

I highly suggest you don't do this.  It is bad form and won't get you points with other captains and may get you on a "bad list".   You are acting just as bad as the other captain.

I highly suggest you don't do this.  It is bad form and won't get you points with other captains and may get you on a "bad list".   You are acting just as bad as the other captain.

Exactly, with such a small community at the moment the bad eggs are well remembered.

The Official line from Admin is that if you are having significant problems with another player, exit and start another match.  If you don't want to do that, fine, don't play the Victory's game, sail out, fight hard, get sunk, and leave him to his own devices near the spawn.  Different approach, same outcome (and at least you'll get some damage).

i just had a match that had a santi on each side, along with 2 trincos and me, a surprise. i followed close to our santi and watched him engage the enemy santi. the enemy santi wasted 5 volly's shooting at our friendly santi trying to demast him. when our santi got close enough to do damage to the enemy santi. after 1 volley that did a little damage, the enemy amazingly turned and ran away, i mean never looked back, just left his team alone to get slaughtered. when we went to go clean up the remains he was gone. he had to have sailed out of bounds and timed out.

the only thing i could figure was that he was a pve player that was a first time pvp player that got scared. just amazing how someone could just turn and flee like that after 1 hit.

Or maybe his internet dropped. It wasn't me 8) but I have some issues with my connection dropping. From time to time it just goes out then like 5 min later it comes back on. Unfortunately I have no other choices it's DSL or nothing...even satilite is no good...live in the trees.

I would like to think that when the games goes live running is a valid option right now in alpha/beta it's why just go down fighting

I am quite sure it would be a valid option, a merchant carrying valuable cargo won't risk it unless absolutely forced to.

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of being in an instance does not appeal to me one bit that's the only part of this game which is a disappointment for me thus far and depending on what I see when the open world starts will depend on whether I buy it or not. If I am forced to fight in instanced areas all the time then sadly it's not the game for me. Small area section make it boring and large one's make it impossible so it's difficult to find a happy medium and large ships will find it difficult to catch smaller one's no matter how clever they are in certain circumstances. Saying that there is still a lot more to see from this game yet thats for sure so until we get close to an end product much can change so I'll just hang around like a bad smell until you guys are done with testing etc.

I'm fairly certain they've already said that fleeing without penalty will be possible, and not too tricky.

And I seem to recall something about relative positioning from open world being used to determine where players are in relation to one-another. 

(Sorry, but I can't remember where those posts were.)

In Sea Trials TDM, admins have stated running is against the rules.

I try to pay attention to the rules both documented and implied. Can someone please post up a link to the reference where the admin has clearly stated that running is against the rules?

• Like 2

We have not stated that or were misunderstood 

We said that running is kind of useless and defeats the purpose of the sea trials (test ships in combat).

There is also battle circle that limits the options for the evading ship. 

To further clarify Admin's response, the Developers wanted to keep people from setting their sails in Sea Trials, and then going to the pub - effectively they were griefing by ensuring they would be so far out of range as to be uncatchable during the match.  Since Sea Trials was about combat testing, the Developers added the white ring to keep the battle within a certain area.  Running around within that area is completely legal.

Once Open World is released, a valid and valuable tactic when you're overmatched will be to attempt to "escape" by keeping your ship out of range, after a certain time of successfully evading damage, you will be able to leave the instance with your ship in whatever condition it's in.  Escaping in this manner will likely involve running at best point of sail as fast as you can make her go.  There will be no "ring" and no rules against evading and running.

I'm fairly certain they've already said that fleeing without penalty will be possible, and not too tricky.

And I seem to recall something about relative positioning from open world being used to determine where players are in relation to one-another. 

(Sorry, but I can't remember where those posts were.)

Fleeing mechanic (when the battle flag wears off) is already implemented in the open world build.

Relative positioning also, but is basic and needs testing.

• Like 1

If I end up surviving the rest of my team and I don't think I can defeat the remaining ships with pure force, but my ship isn't too badly damaged, I will always kite the remaining enemy ships. I've managed to turn around and win a few games by doing this.

Frankly, I find it hilarious when people complain about it. Why should I give up when there's no benefit for me to do so?

I agree that if someone were to run away just to force a draw it would be really annoying, but like Prater said, usually the closing border will make it hard to run for too long. Either way, so far in about 100 battles, I've never seen someone successfully force a draw by running away.

Anyway, you might want to get used to it. When they start testing a persistant open world, people will have a stronger incentive to run away so as to not risk losing their hard earned cargo, money etc. Running away will become much more common, both by pirates chased by "lawful" players and merchants chased by pirates.

This is exactly what most naval interactions were like. (Spot the enemy. Determine strength. If stronger than enemy attack. If weaker run.)