Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.3 Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.3.9.9 Rx2)

45 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

ps i will just say the army need to be removed from the game if we will not be able to increase the numbers with a slide simula to crew training really tired of a army on 2000 soldiers attacking a army force of 25000 soldiers

It's a bit psychotic. If you were going to make the mines and subs optional I'd add armies and still do a rework. It could be a neat factor, but it kills GDP. I did a Japan Play through on legendary and it was miserable building an economy when the army would expand crazily yet not actually gain territory (a few patches ago anyway).

In my current play through France is out of Europe and on the political srcreen it has no home population, no army, 17% growth #1 economy with only Corsica, a chunk of Africa, and not a lot of Asia.

And Armies are not in the player's control. Which just does not add to my enjoyment, but that's me. No, I really get the "Chaos adds to the interesting things" factor, but Yikes!

In order for the land battles to have more relevance in "Dreadnoughts" the Naval effect needs to be greater: bombardment, sea control, raids, add troop ships to merchant fleet types, attack troop convoys to destroy enemy troops and make it a meaningful number. Port Blockades to stop enemy Armies from receiving supplies, and make it a meaningful effect. You have the tools to make this more interesting and playable.   (still, make it optional)

• Like 2

Could the weight distribution/offset values on the US Dreadnought III/IV hulls (the ones that are supposed to allow us to recreate the USS Texas) be tweaked or adjusted? It doesn't matter what I try, I always wind up with a large fore weight offset.

Whether I do a "as built" configuration or a refit configuration for the Texas/New York...it always winds up being excessively heavy on the front. I personally think this is mostly due to the fact that the machinery spaces are so far forward because you can only really put the funnels on the raised portion of the hull.

Could we maybe get the option to position the machinery spaces ourselves within a certain distance of the funnels? I think that would go a long way to help make ships more balanced

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HistoricalAccuracyMan said:

I personally think this is mostly due to the fact that the machinery spaces are so far forward because you can only really put the funnels on the raised portion of the hull.

While I agree with the machinery spaces, you can place funnels on the non-raised part of those hulls.  See pic below.

I also believe part of the issue is that the hulls are balanced when they do not have anything on them.  If the hulls already had a aft balance bias it should make it much easier to create historical designs.

20230702182920_1.jpg

• Like 2

Beaten. Not once but twice by the same BB. I should have scrapped it. It had Krupp III armor compared to my Modern I. And I had a lot more of that armor in every way. Second, I'm giving that boat a 21" salute at less than 7km. With their anti-flooding a full 2 generations behind mine, I could NOT flood that ship when I hit. Yet I was almost sunk...by a ship sporting 13.8" and 8.5" mains in the first engagement. Flooding hit after flooding hit after flooding hit. They just kept coming and I ended up having to run.

When I ran the 2nd time, I was showing 0% chance to hit at 7km. What in the devil is going on?

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Admiral Donuts
  • Like 1

This is the class BB I could not damage in the above post in those conditions.

As you can see, I had no trouble taking it down with my 52,000 tn BBs. But with the 130,000 tn BB, it was if the roles were reversed. My radar 2 spotted them easy, but I could not hit at range even though I was showing significant hit%. It then dropped to 0% and stayed there long enough for him almost to sink me.

Twice it did that. It must be in the design somewhere. But not my design lol. The game design.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

What in the devil is going on?

Simple, you were beaten by your own tactical error and design choices. 

First, it is irrelevant, if you have more armor , or better armor quality if you are going to sail so close to the enemy. The pen values will be more than enough to defeat your armor in some places. 

Second. You were defeated by the greater ROF. You didn't notice that you have a 225 seconds reload?

Third, to make things even more funnier, your ridiculous 21 inch guns have 126 inch pen value at 7.5km away. I bet that you got a lot overpen.

So many mistakes. I would be surprised if you had won. 

27 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Beaten. Not once but twice by the same BB. I should have scrapped it. It had Krupp III armor compared to my Modern I. And I had a lot more of that armor in every way. Second, I'm giving that boat a 21" salute at less than 7km. With their anti-flooding a full 2 generations behind mine, I could NOT flood that ship when I hit. Yet I was almost sunk...by a ship sporting 13.8" and 8.5" mains in the first engagement. Flooding hit after flooding hit after flooding hit. They just kept coming and I ended up having to run.

When I ran the 2nd time, I was showing 0% chance to hit at 7km. What in the devil is going on?

0% chance to hit almost looks like the old target lock aiming bug, but I haven't seen it in 1.3.9.1 myself, or any of the later 1.3.9rx patches for that matter.

But other than that, it looks like you're shooting HE. AP is the go-to if you want flooding. Also Mk1 20" guns are really not very good, in my experience. I still like building at least one Super BB late campaign with 20.9" guns, just to have the ship with the biggest guns ever (I pretend it gives me a propaganda bonus...).

But overall I'd take 13.8" over 20.9" any day of the week. Because with longer barrels (and mk4 or 5 guns) and capped II, they punch hole after hole through main betls at close range (like the 7km you were fighting at) and cause a lot of flooding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Simple, you were beaten by your own tactical error and design choices. 

First, it is irrelevant, if you have more armor , or better armor quality if you are going to sail so close to the enemy. The pen values will be more than enough to defeat your armor in some places. 

Second. You were defeated by the greater ROF. You didn't notice that you have a 225 seconds reload?

Third, to make things even more funnier, your ridiculous 21 inch guns have 126 inch pen value at 7.5km away. I bet that you got a lot overpen.

So many mistakes. I would be surprised if you had won. 

Normally I would agree. But I was using HE. Secondly, the battle moved in that close BECAUSE I was not getting the significant damage from hits that I should have been. At any range. At one point, I was showing 98%+ pen at an angled BB at 15km. I still had huge pen, what I lost and couldn't regain was hit%. At any range. I went in close....for more than 5 minutes real time I got nothing at all, so I had to bug out.

Yeah it's ridiculous lol. I rarely build ships much over 50,000 tns, and this is the first time I used a 20.9" gun anytime, anywhere. But surely you can see my surprise when a clearly inferior ship just would....not....go....down.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

5 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

0% chance to hit almost looks like the old target lock aiming bug, but I haven't seen it in 1.3.9.1 myself, or any of the later 1.3.9rx patches for that matter.

But other than that, it looks like you're shooting HE. AP is the go-to if you want flooding. Also Mk1 20" guns are really not very good, in my experience. I still like building at least one Super BB late campaign with 20.9" guns, just to have the ship with the biggest guns ever (I pretend it gives me a propaganda bonus...).

But overall I'd take 13.8" over 20.9" any day of the week. Because with longer barrels (and mk4 or 5 guns) and capped II, they punch hole after hole through main betls at close range (like the 7km you were fighting at) and cause a lot of flooding.

Switched to HE because I wasn't getting results at all with AP.

My secondaries took out the rest of the task force.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

My hats off to all your experience. Between Barao and Panzergraf, you've been here a lot longer than I have and seen the results of this sort of trashy design hehe.

I will replace those guns with 18s soon as I get done repairing. Which will be long after the dismissal of Austria-Hungary from the map. I started building those ships month 1 of the war. It took 41 months to build them and another several for commissioning. AH is reduced now to NW Italy, and it's under an offensive from 2 directions. France joined in and then dissolved with the Japanese North African Campaign that took place.

Meanwhile, they're going home for refit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Secondly, the battle moved in that close BECAUSE I was not getting the significant damage from hits that I should have been. At any range. At one point, I was showing 98%+ pen at an angled BB at 15km. I still had huge pen, what I lost and couldn't regain was hit%. At any range. I went in close....for more than 5 minutes real time I got nothing at all, so I had to bug out.

You never leave the "immunity zone" if you don't have a good reason. You did and almost got sunk. No armor quality, or thickness will save you from your mistakes. There is no point in designing a superior weapon if it's not going to be used properly in combat. 

• Like 1

Is smoke reducing torpedo spotting? one thing that is quite strange now, is AI smoking the area completely to hide themselves, but then it is still able to dodge torpedoes.. And I'm not playing late game stuff with sonars, but early game around 1900-1910.. during those times, visual spotting was the only way how to spot them, so i would assume using smoke screen would make it harder..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JaM said:

Is smoke reducing torpedo spotting? one thing that is quite strange now, is AI smoking the area completely to hide themselves, but then it is still able to dodge torpedoes.. And I'm not playing late game stuff with sonars, but early game around 1900-1910.. during those times, visual spotting was the only way how to spot them, so i would assume using smoke screen would make it harder..

I've been wondering that myself. With Sonar III, should be able to see incoming torpedoes at long ranges. But as soon as fog rolls in, they are coming at me very stealthily.

Edited by Admiral Donuts
  • Like 1

Another anomaly occurred in my Germany campaign tonight. The turn that the Austro-Hungarians ceased to exist, Spain declared war on me.

Not weird under normal circumstances, but in this case they were nearly at war with AH, and I had good positive relations with them. Aside with being caught with the Minister's wife, they should never have done so.

They then immediately dissolved. For the 2nd time.

• Like 1

Engine is still unable to "remember" damage correctly. Finished battle with 2 cruisers low in the water by bow (torpedo damage only). Next turn they (unrepaired) ended in the battle with shot up superstructure, big shell holes in the hull and not a single compartment flooded. Seems like engine only saves percentage of damage and then at the start of the battle distributes it randomly all over the ship.

Edited by Zuikaku
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

Engine is still unable to "remember" damage correctly. Finished battle with 2 cruisers low in the water by bow (torpedo damage only). Next turn they (unrepaired) ended in the battle with shot up superstructure, big shell holes in the hull and not a single compartment flooded. Seems like engine only saves percentage of damage and then at the start of the battle distributes it randomly all over the ship.

I think the game only remembers the damage *level* ie heavy, light etc. not the percentage as I’ve had lightly damaged ships at 99% structure at the end of one battle spawn with only 80 ish in the next. Flooding status, component damage like engines/turrets isn’t saved either as far as I can tell. 

17 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

I'm curious as to why my late-game unrest keeps going up, whether I gain control of a state while at peace or I fail to gain control it? Unrest is increasing 11.5 per attempt.

If you're "at peace" with the other major powers, you're still fighting a war with the minor power. Unrest goes up if you're fighting a war or if you're losing a war.

Hello Guys, i haven't been on the forum for a long time.

How do i raise my chances to have a successful naval invasion? I'm playing with the Americans, currently in war with the France, i'm trying to capture Southern Spain from them. I launch an invasion from the political tab, that's okay. It says it needs 430k tons of ships, i stand in the circle with around 650k . I have been trying to invade for years now, this is the 5th time, and i'm not successful. 

What is the mechanic of an invasion? Am i just not lucky? Or i'm doing it wrong? Do i need double, or triple the amount of ships what the game is suggesting? I don't find any information on this topic and it is starting to become annoying. 

Of course in the background, i'm also killing all of their ships and convoys the game throws at me. They are very persistent. 

1 hour ago, PainKiller said:

Hello Guys, i haven't been on the forum for a long time.

How do i raise my chances to have a successful naval invasion? I'm playing with the Americans, currently in war with the France, i'm trying to capture Southern Spain from them. I launch an invasion from the political tab, that's okay. It says it needs 430k tons of ships, i stand in the circle with around 650k . I have been trying to invade for years now, this is the 5th time, and i'm not successful. 

What is the mechanic of an invasion? Am i just not lucky? Or i'm doing it wrong? Do i need double, or triple the amount of ships what the game is suggesting? I don't find any information on this topic and it is starting to become annoying. 

Of course in the background, i'm also killing all of their ships and convoys the game throws at me. They are very persistent. 

Answer from the devs:

"Naval Invasions have an initial success chance about 50-60%. Tonnage requirements and Losses affect this chance.

If you have many more losses against the defender, you lessen accordingly the base chance.
Ratio of tonnage requirements also affect this chance accordingly.

So having only tonnage requirements met s not enough.
Your army must consistently cause more casualties or have much increased tonnage than required to have a sufficient chance to win the invasion.

A naval invasion should be a risky process, as in reality. If your nation attacks a large province with a powerful standing army (belonging to a major nation with advanced military) it does not mean you will win by having only naval superiority and a huge fleet parked near the invasion."

• Like 1