Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]

admiralsnackbar

On 6/17/2023 at 1:58 PM, Suribachi said:

Possibly found a minor UI issue with the mod installed, but it could be expected due to a variety of things since I do not know precisely how the research works.

In the Research tab, during one of my turns, I noted that at a tech budget of $39,655,190 the Rangefinder research was 102 turns away from completion.  The very next turn, with a tech budget of $40,220,320 the Rangefinder research was 84 turns away.  Even when a adjust the tech budget slider down under Finances to get within $100,000 of the previous turn, the number of turns away does not change.

I also have to note that this is during a time when the game would have hidden the research as it is not advanced enough yet to know what is coming.

Is this expected behavior?

> research time is only hidden below 1 percent [i.e. right after the previous tech has finished] in the balance mod

> Research time factors how advanced your research is relative to the time associated with the tech (YYYY) and applies heavy modifiers that scale down as you progress farther in time. When the number of turns is very large it can decrease by increments greater than 1 as that malus gets reduced. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

> research time is only hidden below 1 percent [i.e. right after the previous tech has finished] in the balance mod

> Research time factors how advanced your research is relative to the time associated with the tech (YYYY) and applies heavy modifiers that scale down as you progress farther in time. When the number of turns is very large it can decrease by increments greater than 1 as that malus gets reduced. 

That makes sense of what I am seeing.  Thank you for explaining that.

I've only played a fairly short campaign from 1910 Russia but torpedo's are devastating many hits from torpedo's doing 20k+ damage each especially to smaller ships which are dying to the torpedo's which is good but when dealing with AI torpedo spam it can get very annoying as even big 20k+ ton battlecruisers and battleships can sometimes get 1 shot by a torpedo which is not fun for me but perhaps others enjoy the increased torpedo lethality more.

From doing some more turns and battles I found that my ships especially bigger ships have awful accuracy and really struggle to get above a 1% hit chance, this occurs at practically all ranges and I am often lucky if a ship gets a hit chance of 3% or higher, smaller vessels suffer a bit less with accuracy but right now my ships can't hit anything reliably making the game less fun, the AI struggles with hitting ships as well. 

Noticed something minor with the latest mod update, unsure if this has been in the previous versions.

1890 USA start.  CA building on Armored Cruiser I hull, 6 inch guns are not a main gun option as they are in vanilla but instead are listed as secondary guns.  Is this intentional?

19 hours ago, Suribachi said:

Noticed something minor with the latest mod update, unsure if this has been in the previous versions.

1890 USA start.  CA building on Armored Cruiser I hull, 6 inch guns are not a main gun option as they are in vanilla but instead are listed as secondary guns.  Is this intentional?

It is in resizer. protected and armored cruisers often had 6 inch casemates historically, and the game is very uppity about casemates. When I am playing 6 inch is available both as main and secondary option on light cruisers.

6 hours ago, JamesF0790 said:

I'm wondering, while an update is pending (No rush at all, I know it's a free service done in spare time) how bad of an idea would it be to use the mod with the new 1.3.9.2 update?

Seems to work for me so far.  Only issue I had in new update is that I have 3 "ghost" ships on the map.  These are ships that have already been scrapped but are represented on the map as a fleet that I cannot move.  Frankly, I do not think the mod caused the issue.

7 hours ago, JamesF0790 said:

I'm wondering, while an update is pending (No rush at all, I know it's a free service done in spare time) how bad of an idea would it be to use the mod with the new 1.3.9.2 update?

It depends on what the official update is. Last few patches has been more or less only core file changes. Meaning, the resource.assets file has barely been touched, bar a patch note addon in the params file within resources.assets. In wich case, you can use the "old" resources.assets" file.

But

It also depends on if any files in the resource.assets file has had a version change (ex.: params-resources.assets-9515)

Any of wich might cause the game to simply not load, or crash on startup. Best worst case, game loads but will crash/hang at a critical point

Edited by MDHansen

1 minute ago, clavernever said:

image.png.6950da98c2cfa277d36ba5e6a325d47e.png

Is this normal?

I just started with Italy in 1900

I know the submarine tech has been postponed indefinitely to remove subs, but there's no mention of Armor Forging being postponed the same way

Here is the easiest way I know how to explain what is going on.

Imagine that each tech costs a certain amount of points and you get points each turn depending on your research budget.  So if a tech costs 100 points and you get 4 points per turn, it will take 25 turns to get the tech.  However, this number is always changing according to many factors including budget (research slider and nation GDP) and time period (later techs need more points).  So in our example, 3 turns later you are getting 10 points per turn instead of 4 due to a budget increase.  This brings down the number of turns needed to wait for the tech from 25 to 10.

This is extremely oversimplified, but should help clear up the question slightly.  @admiralsnackbaror another experienced modder with more understanding of the game's code and files are free to correct me or fill in the blanks as needed.

1 minute ago, Suribachi said:
9 minutes ago, clavernever said:

image.png.6950da98c2cfa277d36ba5e6a325d47e.png

Is this normal?

This is extremely oversimplified, but should help clear up the question slightly.  @admiralsnackbaror another experienced modder with more understanding of the game's code and files are free to correct me or fill in the blanks as needed.

At first, I suspected to be this modifier below. *stock game value

research_early_years_to_stall,10,"zero research speed, if tech is too early by this amount of years",10,,,,,,

But reading the technologies file below, I can't see any 10 year gap or more between the steps for a 1900 campaign start.

armor_forging_1,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_1,1900,,111,"armor(4), build(2.5)",,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_1,"Improving the armor manufacturing tools allows the construction of better armor and faster production. *Armor weight -2%, Ship construction time -2.5%*",,
armor_forging_2,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_2,1905,2,111,"belt(6), deck(6)",,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_2,Metallurgy developments lead to much more efficient processes in large pieces of steel. *Belt/Deck armor weight -4%*,,
armor_forging_3,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_3,1909,2,111,armor(6),,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_3,Armor plates can be made much tougher by increasing the proportion of nickel to the alloy and adding Molybdenum. *Armor weight -3%*,,
armor_forging_4,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_4,1912,1,111,armor(6),,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_4,Specialized sections of the hull found in turrets and conning towers can be made extremely tougher and lighter using a new stronger type of steel. *Armor weight -3%*,,

Unless you cut the research funding by mistake?

On 7/8/2023 at 5:19 PM, o Barão said:

At first, I suspected to be this modifier below. *stock game value

research_early_years_to_stall,10,"zero research speed, if tech is too early by this amount of years",10,,,,,,

But reading the technologies file below, I can't see any 10 year gap or more between the steps for a 1900 campaign start.

armor_forging_1,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_1,1900,,111,"armor(4), build(2.5)",,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_1,"Improving the armor manufacturing tools allows the construction of better armor and faster production. *Armor weight -2%, Ship construction time -2.5%*",,
armor_forging_2,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_2,1905,2,111,"belt(6), deck(6)",,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_2,Metallurgy developments lead to much more efficient processes in large pieces of steel. *Belt/Deck armor weight -4%*,,
armor_forging_3,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_3,1909,2,111,armor(6),,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_3,Armor plates can be made much tougher by increasing the proportion of nickel to the alloy and adding Molybdenum. *Armor weight -3%*,,
armor_forging_4,armor_forging,,$technology_name_armor_forging_4,1912,1,111,armor(6),,,$technology_desc_armor_forging_4,Specialized sections of the hull found in turrets and conning towers can be made extremely tougher and lighter using a new stronger type of steel. *Armor weight -3%*,,

Unless you cut the research funding by mistake?

I didn't cut funding, it was at 50%. Furthermore, I tried to play around with the funding meter and it affected research time as one would expect: bringing it up to 100% cut months down to ~800, and bringing it down lower than 50% increased research time accordingly.

As for the research stall modifier, it does seem to somehow be the culprit. A few turns later the timer had gone down to ~250 months, and I presume if I kept playing that campaign it would have eventually gone down to a normal amount, as current year got closer to the tech's expected year.

Either way there does seem to be something fishy about it, since at game start no techs should be so far ahead as to be stalled that hard.

Edited by clavernever
  • Like 1

1.3.9.4 broke the mod for me.
(I use the resizer version provided in the second link at the top of the post)

1.3.9.3 UAD with the 1.3.9.4 mod file worked fine (seems Steam took it's sweet time to roll the update to me, as even after restarting it I still got it hours later than everyone else)

After updating the game, it wouldn't launch with the mod file anymore.
I'm 100% sure it's the mod file, as I double checked it's the right one, downloaded it and tested multiple times.. and indeed the game only launches when it's not installed.

I'm posting this only cause I saw a dedicated update for the latest version, so I presume it should work fine.
Maybe it's cause I'm on Linux and UAD runs on Proton, but I haven't had any issues with UAD mods before so it seems unlikely.

Edited by clavernever

Can confirm on windows. 1.3.9.3 update for the game and the latest download with the resizer mod isn't working. It just freezes on launch with a strange distorted graphic on the screen. Tested by verifying files to revert the mod and the game works, reinstalled the mod and the same thing happened

I'm not sure if it's relevant but the new resources.assets from the update is around 60mb bigger now than the downloaded one for the mod.

EDIT:
Can confirm the exact same thing happens with the non resizer mod. I've attached the screen it gives on launch here.

bb0799195e8a83c619f477a9f960e602.png

Edited by JamesF0790
More information