Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]

admiralsnackbar

On 8/13/2023 at 12:06 AM, SevDarastrix said:

Second this with the german light cruisers. Makes recreating WW1 classes like Magdeburg rather difficult, when they had main armaments of 4.1in and 5.9in

Also the same with American Light Cruisers, playing a game from 1890 onwards, only seen 7" up available as main armament.

14 hours ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

Btw, is spotting changed in this mod? 

Yes, it is mentioned in the original post of this thread. I believe viewing/spotting distance is significantly increased. 

This does not mean you cannot sneak up to the enemy anymore. Yesterday I got surprised when seven enemy destroyers actually ambushed my 1920 BB in the dark. launching torpedoes from 2-4 km away. They did rather well, landing a few torpedoes. they all got sunk in the end though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Those of you commenting on the light cruiser with the resizer, re-download that resources file and replace the one you have currently. I the version I uploaded will hopefully fix the issues. 

The issue with france's 2 inch secondaries > 4 inch ones I have not addressed yet. 

Sorted it for me, cheers!

On 8/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, admiralsnackbar said:

Those of you commenting on the light cruiser with the resizer, re-download that resources file and replace the one you have currently. I the version I uploaded will hopefully fix the issues. 

The issue with france's 2 inch secondaries > 4 inch ones I have not addressed yet. 

While it did show up with 5 and 6 inch guns in the main guns section, for some reason it's only allowing the single barrelled versions although after I researched twin barrels, the larger sizes (7+) are showing with single and twin barrel options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 1:38 PM, eirinym said:

While it did show up with 5 and 6 inch guns in the main guns section, for some reason it's only allowing the single barrelled versions although after I researched twin barrels, the larger sizes (7+) are showing with single and twin barrel options.

oh, this particular discrepancy is intentional. 

the purpose of allowing 7-9 inch twin guns is to accommodate early game large protected cruisers, which had large main batteries in twins [sometimes singles also] whereas twin five and six inch guns don't appear until later. But I am noticing that 'later' is much later than what I think it ought to be [IIRC it should be 1913-1916, not 1921] 

Unfortunately, 'light cruisers' 'protected cruisers' and 'scout cruisers' are different beasts and it's not necessarily the case that these ships put together were all getting larger. It's difficult to design a tech tree and hull/gun/armor restrictions that work appropriately for all of them clumped together. 

Edited by admiralsnackbar

With it being difficult to differentiate them, and it happening later unfortunately, wouldn't it make sense to just allow the smaller guns at the same time? It makes less sense to me to have larger guns in twins on hulls which look like they're meant for single mounts like the light cruiser 3. At the very least no more sense than double 5 or 6 inch guns. On the one hand you could just play with that in mind, but because the AI is likely going to put multiple double larger calibre guns, if you want to use a 6 inch, you're stuck having to upsize to compete, at least until you research much further. Just makes it a bit difficult to improve an existing design using something like a 155mm Japanese naval gun build on a cruiser like that.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:21 AM, admiralsnackbar said:

oh, this particular discrepancy is intentional. 

the purpose of allowing 7-9 inch twin guns is to accommodate early game large protected cruisers, which had large main batteries in twins [sometimes singles also] whereas twin five and six inch guns don't appear until later. But I am noticing that 'later' is much later than what I think it ought to be [IIRC it should be 1913-1916, not 1921] 

Unfortunately, 'light cruisers' 'protected cruisers' and 'scout cruisers' are different beasts and it's not necessarily the case that these ships put together were all getting larger. It's difficult to design a tech tree and hull/gun/armor restrictions that work appropriately for all of them clumped together. 

And then you had the USA that made a couple dedicated commerce raiders (Columbia class) with 8" singles mounted aft because we could.  Its a real big mess...

Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if these ships could mount their historical gun counts though to compensate for the lack of twin mounts.  So many of them had sponson mounts out the ass for secondary guns.

Edited by SpardaSon21

On 9/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, graylion said:

I tried this with 1.39.9 R2 and all I get is a grey screen on load?

Seems like the file with the resizer works but not the one without it, any fix for this?

Btw will the mod be updated for beta 1.4 when it comes out end of this week?

7 hours ago, jwcswong said:

Seems like the file with the resizer works but not the one without it, any fix for this?

Btw will the mod be updated for beta 1.4 when it comes out end of this week?

Probably not. 1.4 will have frequent updates which makes for a bad modding experience, i also have less free time than i used to. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • admiralsnackbar changed the title to UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.3.9.9rx2]
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I believe there's a bug with turret armor and ship classes.  But I also haven't played the 'base' game in a long time either, so I am, not sure, this could be the base game as well.

For example, this is a screenshot of a 1940 French Superbattleship hull with several different turrets on it, and their armor:

https://gyazo.com/920378c24d5e8d74b88d27c815f7d523

This is the 1940 Experimental BC II Hull with the same turrets:

https://gyazo.com/00e53eb0cf539639b49e6c6574d1b15e

This is the BC IV Hull:

https://gyazo.com/36bd491a29f5941d9a61cd6333e0d03f

I have not looked at all the countries/ship classes/turret combo's, but I have seen similar issues with BB/BC hulls in all countries.

If you need any other info happy to help.

Thanks for the mod,

Jellico

On 9/30/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jellico73 said:

Hi,

I believe there's a bug with turret armor and ship classes.  But I also haven't played the 'base' game in a long time either, so I am, not sure, this could be the base game as well.

For example, this is a screenshot of a 1940 French Superbattleship hull with several different turrets on it, and their armor:

https://gyazo.com/920378c24d5e8d74b88d27c815f7d523

This is the 1940 Experimental BC II Hull with the same turrets:

https://gyazo.com/00e53eb0cf539639b49e6c6574d1b15e

This is the BC IV Hull:

https://gyazo.com/36bd491a29f5941d9a61cd6333e0d03f

I have not looked at all the countries/ship classes/turret combo's, but I have seen similar issues with BB/BC hulls in all countries.

If you need any other info happy to help.

Thanks for the mod,

Jellico

I suspect max and/or default armor thicknesses, including for turrets, are sensitive to the hull type. So the same turret on a BB will have a higher default or max armor than a BC. Nothing in the balance mod changes that, and resizer doesn't change default/max armor thicknesses. 

• 3 weeks later...

I will try to get the Mod functioning with 1.4 when I have a good stretch of free time. I will be on vacation between 10/30 and 11/4 and this week [the week before] I have a lot of [paid/job] work to do this week, so I don't have the free time. 

If it looks like the pace of updates is more or less finished afterwards I can try to fold in additional features. 

• Like 6

• admiralsnackbar changed the title to UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]
  • 4 weeks later...

For some reason I can no longer select 'continue fighting' when a peace proposal comes up.   I tried exiting the game, rebooting the computer, waiting like a half hour, nada.   If peace is offered I have to select yes or sit there stubbornly for ever, with the box mocking me with slight jiggles as I try to select 'keep fighting'.  I can instantly select 'peace'.

??

Hello! new to the forums, and i just wanted to say Thank You for making mods for this game! Not only will modding bring new life into a game like this for years to come, but an active number of mod-makers is a sure sign of a healthy game community, so thank you for keeping the game going, and thanks to the devs as well. Sorry if this is weird, like I said, I'm new. 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a personal status update and why I've discontinued modifying the game:

I got burnt out trying to update the game every time an update was released. Also, my willingness to mod the game is primarily a function of my desire to play it and play it in a certain way. 

Also importantly, I've been brought on as a developer in a mod for another game so my free time is stretched that much more thinly. 

There's a possibility of re-releasing an updated rebalance mod once Nick announces a final update to the game, with special attention paid to rebalancing the various modules. However trying to do anything with UAD in the current environment is a red queen's race. 

DIP mod does a good deal of what rebalancer used to do. So a re-released balance mod may not be necessary. 

• Like 5