Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

9 hours ago, DieselPower said:

Then when finally moving the surviving ships back to port, they are forced into a port strike mission...when they have no ammo! So now, we're back to giving away VP's when forced into a battle we don't want with damaged ships.

So this is intressting as I have encontered an enemy task force without ammo after being hit a lot by my submarines. I will note that the enemy taskforce still hade some ammo on DDs and torpedo armed ships with 1 torpedo per ship. There do seems to be a lot of problems when any task force gets hit by submarine currently.

10 hours ago, DieselPower said:

Update 3 has fixed many issues in the campaign. It is much more stable, it's rare that turns hang up any longer. The only times I have to exit out to the main menu is during submarine encounters when the auto-resolve function refuses to work/

Speaking of submarines... they are extremely buggy. If your task force encounters them and encounters damage, many strange things happen. The task force refuses, even after 4 commands, to return to port for repair. Not only that, I lost 2 BB's, with Sonar, in a task force with 6 DD's with full ASW outfits. Then when finally moving the surviving ships back to port, they are forced into a port strike mission...when they have no ammo! So now, we're back to giving away VP's when forced into a battle we don't want with damaged ships.

Why would you attack a port with no ammunition?

For the next update, please address submarines and mines, or add a function to enable and disable them until things are more polished and understandable.

Submarines require a lot of polishing.

My typical TF consists of 1BB/BC 2 CA and 10DD (mines paranoia). I have an overkill of destroyers, but I feel calmer this way. However, when this task force is attacked by a sub, sub almost always survives. Even if (and mostly) this is an early submarine. I expect a submarine from the 1910s to be destroyed by my DDs with depth charges 4/5/6 (and all CA too). We are not talking about an attack on a convoy, this is an attack by one submarine on a TF. In reality, this is a death sentence in 99% cases.

However, in 90% of cases, the submarine gets damaged and leaves. Very often if auto-resolve manage to sink a submarine, one of my destroyers gets damaged.

And that's the problem. Every turn, enemy submarines attack my TF. I get almost no points for damage to submarines, and I get little for sinking, too. However, if my TF engages in a battle with a submarine, it cannot fight the enemy on this turn. So there are a lot of TF in the endgame that just don't do anything. I tried to assemble groups simply from a lot of DDs for ASW - the same result. 

However, noticed a very strange trend. A fleet of a large number of ships is very bad at fighting submarines. And 1-2 destroyers sink submarines well enough. The same applies to AI. I posted here how 40 Japanese destroyers were attacked by 2 of my submarines. Thanks to the death spirale bug, It went on for many turns. My submarines didn't take damage until the last attack, when there was only one Japanese destroyer left, which sank one submarine and damaged another.

This is what this destroyer looks like. Depth charges 1. My submarines were ocean-going 3.

2022-11-26-16-04-51.png

Another bug: you may notice overweight. It wasn't here when I first got this destroyer (in 1927, now 1936). There will be more details about this.

Summing up the submarines

1. Inconsistent effectiveness of ASW.
  2. Not enough VP for submarines
  3. Bugs
Edited by Lima
typo

Mines.

I think it's known that the AI on the campaign map just doesn't care about mines. Okay, but AI is also not very good at creating minesweepers. In addition to the previous ship, here is a British destroyer from the 1930s. No mine hunter at all.

2022-11-26-16-15-58.png

I think AI should prioritize minesweeping equipment.

• Like 1

Weight shenanigans

This problem mostly occurs on my old ships, but also on some new ones. Well, here's the first refit (1928) of my destroyer from 1921. Overweight. Obviously, when I saved this design in 1928, it wasn't there.

2022-11-26-16-31-38.png

But let's continue, it's time to refit this destroyer.

2022-11-26-16-31-58.png

Overweight is cured by simply pressing "Refit" button. Let's save it as it is.

4.jpg

Wow, she managed to lose even more weight. Cost has also increased slightly.

I can't say the exact year when it started, but probably somewhere from 1932-1933. The funny thing is that my already built ships also change weight. I didn't do anything with the destroyer, but out of 2400 it began to displace 2436. Yes, I don't remember exactly when it happened, because there are a lot of Warhammer-style wars here.

Edit: yes, I think it happened at the end of 1932-1933. BC refit of 1932.2022-11-26-16-54-23.png

*Click* cured.

2022-11-26-16-54-39.png

This problem is typical for all refits of 1928 and 1932, as well as for some new ships. I think it's something to do with technology.

Edited by Lima
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lima said:

Weight shenanigans

This problem mostly occurs on my old ships, but also on some new ones. Well, here's the first refit (1928) of my destroyer from 1921. Overweight. Obviously, when I saved this design in 1928, it wasn't there.

2022-11-26-16-31-38.png

But let's continue, it's time to refit this destroyer.

2022-11-26-16-31-58.png

Overweight is cured by simply pressing "Refit" button. Let's save it as it is.

4.jpg

Wow, she managed to lose even more weight. Cost has also increased slightly.

I can't say the exact year when it started, but probably somewhere from 1932-1933. The funny thing is that my already built ships also change weight. I didn't do anything with the destroyer, but out of 2400 it began to displace 2436. Yes, I don't remember exactly when it happened, because there are a lot of Warhammer-style wars here.

Edit: yes, I think it happened at the end of 1932-1933. BC refit of 1932.2022-11-26-16-54-23.png

*Click* cured.

2022-11-26-16-54-39.png

This problem is typical for all refits of 1928 and 1932, as well as for some new ships. I think it's something to do with technology.

as new techs develop many add weight, each refit is a rebalance. To compensate, or "make room" throw some attention to hull construction, armor, engines, boilers, as these techs will give lighter weight options to counter the new heavier tech. At the later stages fuel efficiency may get so good you can drop the range slider, by 1935 I can knock out a modified BB hull that will get 44000km range while I'm pretty happy with 30000, so more tonnage in deck armor and sonar 3 because the other sides are developing subs. It's a constant puzzle, just like the real thing

22 minutes ago, jw62 said:

as new techs develop many add weight, each refit is a rebalance. To compensate, or "make room" throw some attention to hull construction, armor, engines, boilers, as these techs will give lighter weight options to counter the new heavier tech. At the later stages fuel efficiency may get so good you can drop the range slider, by 1935 I can knock out a modified BB hull that will get 44000km range while I'm pretty happy with 30000, so more tonnage in deck armor and sonar 3 because the other sides are developing subs. It's a constant puzzle, just like the real thing

My ships left the shipyard with 2,400 tons of displacement. Then something happened and they became 2436t. I can fix it very easily - I just need to click "Refit". Ships will even displace less. Why are technologies that add weight applied to the operating ship instantly (some of my ships have not seen the port for years, as it happened), and those that reduce it - after refit? It is just wrong. If you're doing something to my ship, tell me about it.

Again, this refit in 1928 was 2,400 tons of displacement. I did absolutely nothing with these ships, but at some point their displacement increased. Even with those ships that have been at sea for years. I don't touch the priorities of technology, let everything develop as it is supposed to. So everything is fine with hull/boiler technologies. And it can be seen, if I refit, if I get less displacement than 2400.

Edited by Lima
typo
  • Like 1

Puh, encountered some...bug?

My fleet besieged austria-hungarian waters. It was harrowed for three months by enemy submarines, until I destroyed them. Then suddenly, Italy joined the war and attacked my fleet (two significantly large BBs, four light cruisers, twelve ddestroyers (eight of them little more than glorified minesweepers) and two torpedo boats) with his main fleet. I do not call it Doomstack, because these were reserved for the AU fleet with three BCs and 129 light cruisers, but a significant force centered around three BBS and twelve BCs. All of inferior technology, so I was confident to at least take a lot of them with me.

As I entered the battle I discovered that none of my ships had any ammunition left. None. Zero. Only the torpedo boats and some destroyers carried ONE torpedo, each. Okay, so my fleet is at thirty knots and enough fuel left, so...RUN.
Of course, the italian BBs are faster and their fleets came into range long before the timer ran out. I decided not to delay the inevitable and leave the battle.

And, yes, i was defeated. Two of my light cruisers and three destroyers were sunk. But I managed to sik three BCs, two light cruisers and four destroyers.
So, some questions here : With what did I sink the enemy ships? Rammed them?
And...why no ammo left? I get it that the destroyers and light cruisers were out of depth charges and I used some ammo to chase off or destroy the enemy subs. But main gun ammo? Unless I used up all 420mm ammunition with Tauchgranaten, i see no reason for this.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Puh, encountered some...bug?

My fleet besieged austria-hungarian waters. It was harrowed for three months by enemy submarines, until I destroyed them. Then suddenly, Italy joined the war and attacked my fleet (two significantly large BBs, four light cruisers, twelve ddestroyers (eight of them little more than glorified minesweepers) and two torpedo boats) with his main fleet. I do not call it Doomstack, because these were reserved for the AU fleet with three BCs and 129 light cruisers, but a significant force centered around three BBS and twelve BCs. All of inferior technology, so I was confident to at least take a lot of them with me.

As I entered the battle I discovered that none of my ships had any ammunition left. None. Zero. Only the torpedo boats and some destroyers carried ONE torpedo, each. Okay, so my fleet is at thirty knots and enough fuel left, so...RUN.
Of course, the italian BBs are faster and their fleets came into range long before the timer ran out. I decided not to delay the inevitable and leave the battle.

And, yes, i was defeated. Two of my light cruisers and three destroyers were sunk. But I managed to sik three BCs, two light cruisers and four destroyers.
So, some questions here : With what did I sink the enemy ships? Rammed them?
And...why no ammo left? I get it that the destroyers and light cruisers were out of depth charges and I used some ammo to chase off or destroy the enemy subs. But main gun ammo? Unless I used up all 420mm ammunition with Tauchgranaten, i see no reason for this.

Ah yes, THIS. I forgot to mention THIS bug. So, ships consume ammunition of all types in battles with submarines. It seems that all submarines carry the spirit of RN Evangelista Torricelli (and also of SMS Seydlitz). 

Are you guys using depth charges? We just blast at the sea and hit them with sinking shells.

Measurement of ammunition

2022-11-27-00-05-56.png

Battle (yes, they didn't sink this submarine)

2022-11-27-00-48-29.png

2022-11-27-00-49-37.png

As you can see, not much has been spent. However, it was only one submarine. And on this one submarine, a battleship with an unpronounceable name spent 15% of her ammunition (and could not sink sub, unfortunately).

Edited by Lima
Emergency surfacing! Full speed ahead! Engage with deck gun!

7 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

I don't understand why people complain about doomstacks all the time. I mean I've never had any problem dealing with them. They bring their junkyard navy, I scrap it with a handful of ships, war usually over. I love it when they try to bring the hurt. Welcome to the meatgrinder.

Is it just me?

My problem is not with dealing with a huge fleet. It is challenging, I have to say. But without pre battle formations my fleet is a mess most of the time

Secondly many of us don't have top of the line PCs. I have 1-3 FPS when I am dealing with these 100+fleets. 

This way it is unplayable

Edited by Marshall99
  • Like 4

And on that note, I'd like to ask a favor - is it possible to add a screen somewhere during the battle that lists what's been killed and what's left? I mean, we already KNOW what's in the battle. It's listed before it. It's not like it's a state secret.

My problem is, every now and again my old decrepit brain quits mid-battle. I just had one where the US brought their entire fleet to the Sea of Japan. My 2 BBs, 3 CAs, and 5 CLs were making a meal out of it. Scrapped everything in sight, I'm thinking...bah there's like 2 CLs left out there somewhere not worth the fuel, got all excited and quit the battle. Turns out I only killed like 1/3 of it lol.

THAT would be very useful to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral Donuts said:

And on that note, I'd like to ask a favor - is it possible to add a screen somewhere during the battle that lists what's been killed and what's left? I mean, we already KNOW what's in the battle. It's listed before it. It's not like it's a state secret.

My problem is, every now and again my old decrepit brain quits mid-battle. I just had one where the US brought their entire fleet to the Sea of Japan. My 2 BBs, 3 CAs, and 5 CLs were making a meal out of it. Scrapped everything in sight, I'm thinking...bah there's like 2 CLs left out there somewhere not worth the fuel, got all excited and quit the battle. Turns out I only killed like 1/3 of it lol.

THAT would be very useful to me.

Peep the top of the screen??? it shows all living (and sinking) enemy divisions

11 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

I don't understand why people complain about doomstacks all the time. I mean I've never had any problem dealing with them. They bring their junkyard navy, I scrap it with a handful of ships, war usually over. I love it when they try to bring the hurt. Welcome to the meatgrinder.

Is it just me?

No no I was gonna comment this, I love facing a doomstack, and I love smacking my lips as my one dozen ships take down half a hundred, it's practically the best feeling this game has got to offer

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Is it just me?

Also the Grand Fleet and the Fleet of the High Seas from WWI are hitorical doomstacks

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Is it just me?

My main problem is probably the reason why you like it. It's too easy. I want a challenge. And AI is simply not able to control doomstack either at the tactical or strategic level. 

At the strategic level, AI does not update ships in the fleet, which means there will be a bunch of old ships. Also, AI doomfleet has huge problems with fuel/mines/submarines. If their home is attacked, doomfleet does't pay attention to it.

At the tactical level, AI cannot control a large number of ships, it just feels like a beating and not a battle.

Often it just doesn't make sense. Look at these 60 Japanese destroyers. In case of war, I'll just sweep them away with a couple of battleships equipped with radar. If they were operating in small groups, against which my destroyers would be directed, it would be much more difficult.

I want to see major battleship battles, not the destruction of a crowd of small ships. I had several battles with doomstacks where large lines of battleships fought (37 italian BBs), it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Capilla said:

I have a question. ¿What happens with destroyed nations? Suddenly France and England colapsed on 2 consedutive turns (for unknown reasons) and now half the world is composed by whyte flags

image.thumb.jpeg.9c0bfba4b9b02816d977446716ef60a6.jpeg

These countries are dead, they are no more. Also, please let us know if you can continue playing. I see an English TF at sea, this can lead to endless loading on "Update mission".

6 minutes ago, Lima said:

These countries are dead, they are no more. Also, please let us know if you can continue playing. I see an English TF at sea, this can lead to endless loading on "Update mission".

I can keep playing (actually in 1896) but I'm deleting the campaing and starting again. Half the world becoming "no mans land" in 1895 is not funny. 

Edited by Capilla
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Is it just me?

I don't mind doom stacks but the issues are always

Start a campaign 1890

• Get instantly in a war even if the ships are mothballed (insert the game forcing you into a war by every single turn us assassinating a political figure) or (something about (not in my control) and cause tensions to rise) so its go broke, or go to war, shame we cannot do the same to AI like we get all the punishments like loosing money but cannot do the same to AI. jokes on them
  • Have 30-40 ships, get them out of ports and move them into 3/5 groups
  • Few turns pass
  • a fleet from the OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP with well over 100+ ships, attacks like 3 ships that should have been in a group that should have had double the numbers
  • Ensue the single frame rates for HOURS.
  • Kills a large chunk Kills multiple battleships, cruisers, light cruisers and torpedo boats, and was able to escape
  • Gets less than 20k points for it
  • Few turns go by and the person we are at war with doesn't do an engagement, and I personally cannot force an engagement, its just throw random at hand. even though we are literally directly ontop of each other
  • Do a few more ships purchases/Refits, and STILL zero battles happening
  • "We are winning the war would you like to sign peace" puts on yes
  • Few turns later "the war continues"
  • By now the most of the world is at war Eco is down, and the parties that started the war, have lost most of there ships
  • Few turns later, another, micro doom stacks happen with a 30vs10... which is way easier now
  • Literally cleans there entire deck of ships in that battle gaining 30-40k points, and the enemy nation now has literally ZERO ships being made, repaired, refit, or in active service, literally zero.
  • "we are winning the war would you like to sign a peace treaty" again, press yes.
  • Literally half a year later with zero, and i mean zero ships they still haven't sign
  • 3 months later they build a few ships, get near us, and instantly sign a peace treaty
  • Gets all there ports and cannot get anything else
  • Within 2 months at war again with the SAME PEOPLE WE JUST DESTROYED, and have very few ships. And aswell there eco is going upwards of 12-20% eco gain each month
  • Instantly gets there entire fleet, once again from across an entire ocean engagement and instantly wipes the floor again.
  • Then gets the "Update Missions" bug..

And literally that was JUST today, 2x past 10 hours this pretty much happened, with very close of degree of identicalness.

The main issue is FPS, you cannot even use 2x speed without the game playing SLOWER than 1x.. that and the game forces you into wars over and over and over again, with no peacetime even with the same people you just fought with..

Bonus points for needing to waste a extra turn if you need go "across the map" from border to border.... (this is the end of this part, but i got another one i would like to type)

I have a few suggestions for 1.09 but i highly doubt any devs will care to see, but its suggestions non the less..

• The map is pretty horrid, something like, similar, not a copy and paste of hearts of iron 4 map will be much more beneficial.. Points that hearts of iron 4 map.

Its completely seamless, no need to go to the edge, then, go to it, then next turn go across the other side of the map to THEN move across it.. just doesn't need to be in this type of game.

Better (smaller theaters) on ocean combat, Make it more bite sized instead of saying "the entire ocean here" smaller bits will be much better for putting ships there for combative purposes.

A dark mode, This is rather simple, large, screen, bright near white colors for hours on end looking directly at it is just to much, even putting my screen on the darkest settings staring at it for hours on end hurts the eyes.

• On the fleet tab.. instead of hovering over a ship and seeing all the flaws in existences and making it block everything else on half of the screen regardless of where you hover over, Make it so its a Right click feature only to pop out that menu, this aswell will lock it in place so you can aswell scroll (this is also due to how many flaws, its so large on some of the ships i don't even get a chance to see what type of bulkheads..

• On the Ship Design Tab.. Create a Folder System, this is rather simple to understand, To be able to sort and able to create Subfolders" of ship classes etc instead of the entire wall of ships, i don't want to delete my old ship designs.

• Ship designing, please add a small amount of UI showing where we can place parts, rather simple, on the lower part of the screen clicking on a part, and getting the "expanded" part has zero indication where it starts, causes issues placing parts.

•  Add DLSS... rather simple

• Let us still build "obsolete" ships and parts, again rather simple having it "obsolete" doesn't mean its lost technology, yes i know that a ship from 1904 will not work well in 1907, but the cost of building the ship is better than other ships, its still not obsolete if its still better than modern ships. this is as well as parts, i would like to have options to use "obsolete" fillers still, its still the same thing as the ships, some fillers are better than the other for the type of ships i want to build.. A simple thing is just Folder both of them, obsolete ships go into a folder, obsolete tech goes into a folder aswell, this includes "mark 1, 2,3" it should give you a warning of "are you sure you want to build it" and not a "instant removal". a good example is when Picric acid l, gets removed to only be able to use Picric acid ll, i should have the option to still use it when i get Dunnite, its the same principle of mark l ll lll, we should still be able to use older ones, even IF it means its worse, limiting it hurts creativity.

• Logistical costs, this should be a nice additional thing that should be added, more types of gun sizes in your fleet the more it will cost to have, really tired of seeing a new class of AI ship with 5 different shell sizes that are completely different from the last gen, while still running there old gen ships.

• More options for ships/better language for moving ships.

Sea Control --> Sea Control.
    Invade --> Invade Convoys.
    Protect --> Protect Convoys.

(New) Attack Ships, Attacks enemy vessels not just Convoys.
    (New) Defend Ships, Defends a location and gives a better chance for engagements if enemies get close to your ship

It should have been an option to either be way more aggressive for "looking for trouble", and "if you get to close we are going to fight" instead of having a random hand of draw when a literal ship is ontop of each.

• Options for doing the same thing AI does to us with bleeding money out of them etc.. If this is an option, then out of the "looks at steam" 1500+ hours now with additional 100's of hours on another friends PC, we haven't gotten an option to annoy and harass like what the AI does..

• Key press for game being stuck, like the "Update Mission" it would be a trigger for the game to see that its not responding/taking to long.

• Being able to Blockade/Lockdown certain area's... We should be able to lock down these places at any time so no one besides ourselves can use it, (including AI) there is no reason why me as the french for example, at war with America, will allow a single ship to go through the Panama if i have it, (this includes having 20+ ships there)

Places Like Strait of Gibraltar, Kei Canal, Suez Canal, Panama Canal (there is more) are places that should be shut at any time during by AI or player wants/needs.

• Being able to take control of more of peoples port, and in turn Hostile Take over of a nation... rather simple, getting pretty tired of winning wars, and wiping them out of ships JUST for me to get nothing in return besides some money, it should be possible to take over more ports than what is given out right now nations should be able to dissolve due in a port hostile take over.

• Option to mothball mutable ships at a time instead of one per ship.. having 150 ships, and needing to mothball 70 ships is just to much time to be wasted if we can add crew with a button, why not mothball mutable at the same time.

just some ideas that can be implemented.

• Like 2