Game-Labs Forum

Reading suggestions

GrubbyZebra

So I am currently at a standstill with my audible list, so I was thinking about doing another Age of Sail fiction series. Thoughts on the Alexander Kent novels? I've already done the Hornblower and Aubrey-Maturin series, with the latter being more to my liking. Any others that I should look at?

TIA

9 hours ago, Earl of Grey said:

Bolitho wasnt my thing ... cant really say why, made an Impression of shorted-text like some readers digest version ...

I get what you’re saying: Kent’s Bolithio does feel like lighter, easier reading.

I’m unusual and just getting around to Aubrey-Maturin. I’m about 2/3 way through Master and Commander. I find it tedious at times and have yet to decide that Aubrey’s my hero. The guy’s a self involved ass and not a particularly complicated one at that. But the jury is still out.

Anyway... Alexander Kent... have you ever read any Louis L’Amour westerns? It’s sort of like that. The tales are wild, the heroes are real, the villains dastardly and there has been some research involved to give you a feel for the era. Fun. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...