Game-Labs Forum

Bellona gundecks

Sir. Cunningham

The guns on the lower gundecks of the Bellona stick out a bit too much in comparison to those on the upper gundecks, either that or vice versa.

The issue can be solved by either moving the lower 32 pdrs back a bit and moving the 24 pdrs forward a bit, that way it would look right.

Now this is an issue that has been present for some time and I haven't mentioned it until now because I honestly though it would be solved within the first couple of weeks, but since it hasn't been solved yet I thought it about time it be mentioned because it does look rather silly:

wcv4pBK.jpg

• Like 3

Do they have to line up exactly?  Might that not be a problem with the different gun sizes - the larger bore cannon was longer wasn't it?  I'm not sure, just asking the question.   :)

They won't line up exactly, both due to gun length (eventough a 24 & 32 pdr are nearly the same length) and the fact that the bottom hull is wider, BUT they wont be as offset as they are now. 

If you look at the ship you will see that the bottom guns are placed closer to the gun ports, the carriage being almost up against the hull, whilst the upper guns are placed further back. This is what is causing the issue.

The ship's wearing a comically oversized rig borrowed from HMS Victory and this is what people notice?

Hehe I noticed that one too a long time ago (that and the lack of top gallants etc) and also complained about it alongside you, but one thing at a time ^^

At least this issue is very easily corrected by simply moving the guns abit back & forward :)

• 3 months later...

Moved the thread to shipyard sub forum. Guess I didn't really know where to put it back when I started it, and probably overlooked the word "gameplay" under the thread group title and just saw it as a suggestion forum for pretty much all suggestions :P

New ship or bellona gun and rig.. hmmmmmm  interesting choice  ;)

Not sure I understand? :) You mean it's a choice between a new ship or altering the gun & rig on the Bellona? :)

Anyway I just wish the guns weren't sticking out as much as they do on some of the ships ingame atm, mostly because that wasn't the case on the real ships :) But I also of course understand that this is a minor issue atm, and that there are more urgent things to take care of first. I'm just bringing it out there in the hope that it will be addressed eventually at some point as the visuals are extremely important to this game IMO :)

This is perfect in terms of how the cannons are modelled/situated IMHO:

1-aga_128-118-1085347659.jpg

Not sure I understand? :) You mean it's a choice between a new ship or altering the gun & rig on the Bellona? :)

First, thanks for having noticed that issue.

That said, I guess that Admin's comment was a bit ironic : what do you prefer, that devs spend immediate time and ressources on adding a new ship in NA (quite an important gameplay issue) or on modifying the Bellona (a very minor cosmetic issue as you wrote it) ? Cosmetic issues can wait a while, can't they ? However, I guess now devs know your point.  :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

Devs need more hands on deck :)

They should launch a call for 3d models or, better yet, a contest with small rewards such as free future content or name in the credits.

Skilled 3d students and semi-pro may be interested. Kind of demo reel. It'd look good on a 3d modeler's CV/resume.  :)

Perhaps it's the hull's lack of thickness at the bottom that makes the lower guns stick out too much on the Bellona, at least I seem to note a much thicker hull on above 3D model the further down the hull you look.

Of course it's nothing compared to on the Trinc with longs on:

QojIJYb.jpg

Anyway here's two pictures of the HMS Foudroyant, one of Nelsons famous 3rd rates and a ship very similar to the Bellona.

Now note the guns, esp. on the main gun deck, they really don't stick out very far, and the guns on all decks stick out about the same:

foudroyant_lg.jpg

121112072739283365.jpg

Again just like this:

1-aga_128-118-1085347659.jpg