Game-Labs Forum

Stop Manipulating Us Like We Are Stupid Children

The developers need to stop insulting our intelligence by manipulating us as if we are stupid children they need to manipulate into playing the game the way THEY want us to play the game instead of empowering us to play the game the many ways that We the Players want to play the game.  The developers seem to steadfastly refuse to recognize and accept the fact/truth/reality that players fall onto a continuum of play style preferences that range from hard core PVE/RVE to hard core PVP/RVR plus many degrees/combinations of both possibilities in between those two extremes.  Consequently, instead of empower us to easily play how we want to play the developers keep trying to manipulate us into playing either hard core PVP or hard core PVE while they seem to hate every style in between those two extremes.

For example, I just realized that they have gone back to the stupid idea of requiring permits to build many ships instead of a select few.  At first glance after the last update  I thought we could use Combat Marks to purchase a note we can use to get a ship like we could recently do with doubloons - which I thought was a great idea.  That was a great way for players who have no interest in crafting to get ships.  That was a great way for casual players who don't have the time to earn reals to purchase ships from crafters.  That was a great way to make it easier to replace ship losses, and thus that was a great way to incentivize taking more risks instead of avoiding risks because it is too hard to replace a lost ship.  But then after using CBs to purchase what I thought was a note for a ship I soon realized it is only a permit to craft a ship.  Well, to hell with that.

I am sick and tired of such manipulation and so I will no longer play along with such insulting manipulation.  I have no problem earning CBs because I want to do it.  But I refuse to do it because the developers are manipulating us into having to get them to build a lot of the ships I/we might want to build. If I can't build ANY ship just because I want to build it and without having to jump through arbitrary hoops for the developers then I won't jump through the developers' hoops.  So, that means it is time once again, for the third time to be specific, to quit playing for a while to see if the developers will stop treating us like stupid children that they have to manipulate.

Frankly, I pity players who have no interest in joining a clan, because the developers seem to hate them.  I pity casual players who don't have a lot of time, because the developers seem to hate them.  I pity players who don't have deep pockets to afford multiple accounts, because the developers seem to hate them.  I pity players who want to play the game any way other than how the developers think they/we should play the game, because the developers seem to hate them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bull Hull said:

Frankly, I pity players who have no interest in joining a clan, because the developers seem to hate them.  I pity casual players who don't have a lot of time, because the developers seem to hate them.  I pity players who don't have deep pockets to afford multiple accounts, because the developers seem

1. I have no interest in join a clan, never have.

2. I usually semi-casual

3. My pockets are far from deep

4. I have 1 active account (the other two I grabbed just for Naval clock but never use them).

I usually roll with the best ships and the best upgrades, and every now and then I get sunk. It's inevitable. But I don't get sunk 3-4 times a day like some other players, I can't afford too.

I understand that your issue is that it is too tough to replace ships for our kind of players?. Then you have to understand if they make it easier for the "casual" "solo" player to replace ships then imagine how easy it would be for the "non-casual" players who are in a good clan.

Devs don't hate solo players, but they can't adjust the game around us. We are a minority.

Maybe a clan player with 12 hours/day playtime can afford loosing 3 ships/day, but my fleet would be completely destroyed. Maybe I can afford loosing 1 ship/week.

Sorry Captain but that's the reality, alone is not always strong.:), especially in Naval Action. 

Fair winds!,

/ Costa de Castilla

P.S

If you just want some casual pvp fun with little risc involved just cap a ship and put some basic upgrades on, all done within 15 minutes Captain.

Edited by Costa de Castilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Costa de Castilla said:

Maybe a clan player with 12 hours/day playtime can afford loosing 3 ships/day,

Precisely to be equalized should remove the permits or acquire doubloons as until a few weeks ago, the player who throws 12 hours per day playing will have their boats and the one that a couple of hours a day at the most will also have theirs, because if not me The mistake of what is involved in the game is naval action, that people fight against the machine and against humans, and following the current system of permits, the idea that more and more people are making PvP is untenable. Add permits with combat medals, victory marks is a selective process to make PvP, so it can never be mass. Allow them to cost doubloons, raise the price if you want, BUT TO THE REACH OF ALL.

In addition these measures do not consolidate the clans, since many people leave the game and therefore many clans end up weakening or disappearing.

• Like 1

You are saying that unless you can buy the ship note directly with dubloons for example, then it's not within reach for all?.

You can capture ship, you can craft it. You can buy it from store, you can ask someone to build it... 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Costa de Castilla said:

You are saying that unless you can buy the ship note directly with dubloons for example, then it's not within reach for all?.

You can capture ship, you can craft it. You can buy it from store, you can ask someone to build it... 

One issues about this isn't exactly true at this moment. You can not craft every thing cause some of the permits aren't currently in the store cause of rework or something.  Like last night I lost a Reno, can't craft another cause there is no permits in the Admiralty for it.  Even though I had every thing else needed for it.  That is sloppy codding.  What they should do until those ships are reworked they keep them in to craft normally.  Than once the have them reworked you go to the permit system.  Lucky for me I had one more in stock that I used else where that I could replace that ship with.  Why would i not use another ship instead?  Well I have all 5 slots open on that so why would i switch to a subpar ship to do a half ass job (It's good for running down trade ships) for what I want the ships for?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

One issues about this isn't exactly true at this moment. You can not craft every thing cause some of the permits aren't currently in the store cause of rework or something.  Like last night I lost a Reno, can't craft another cause there is no permits in the Admiralty for it.  Even though I had every thing else needed for it.  That is sloppy codding.  What they should do until those ships are reworked they keep them in to craft normally.  Than once the have them reworked you go to the permit system.  Lucky for me I had one more in stock that I used else where that I could replace that ship with.  Why would i not use another ship instead?  Well I have all 5 slots open on that so why would i switch to a subpar ship to do a half ass job (It's good for running down trade ships) for what I want the ships for?

But since that is just temporary it's not even relevant Captain.

You might want to do some research first. You accused me of not knowing anything about PVP, to some that may be true to a point as I am not one of the hard core pvp players. From your comments I can tell you have little experience in crafting or non pvp activities. Currently 20 of the 42 craftable ships require a permit. Of those 20 there are 10 that a permit can not even be purchased (Devs claim to be rebalancing them). What this will eventually lead to is that the best skilled pvp players will have the highest capable ships and the rest (casual, pve, trader, etc) will be unable to even defend against these players except in the rare occasion where they are travelling around in a large fleet. We will see players refusing to commit their best ships to combat due to being unable to replace them. This has happened in the past when the devs decided to make it more difficult to replace ships (reference Fine woods for example). I believe you were the one that made reference to Naval Action Legends, funny as that is exactly where I see this game headed as things continue to change towards empowering the pvp player over all others. I disagree with the OP that the hard core PVE player is an option in this game due to the fact that for traders to make an acceptable level of profit it now places them at sea for over an hour or 2. I believe that this was done so that there would be more targets in OW for the pvp player to go after. While this is a risk most traders will accept, I think forcing it was a bit over the top. Even trade goods dropped by the AI require you to sail clear across the map in most cases. This is why I feel the game is reaching the point were it is unplayable by a solo player who is not a raider as he simply can not maintain an income of materials to sustain losses that will eventually occur.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Raekur said:

You might want to do some research first. You accused me of not knowing anything about PVP, to some that may be true to a point as I am not one of the hard core pvp players. From your comments I can tell you have little experience in crafting or non pvp activities. Currently 20 of the 42 craftable ships require a permit. Of those 20 there are 10 that a permit can not even be purchased (Devs claim to be rebalancing them). What this will eventually lead to is that the best skilled pvp players will have the highest capable ships and the rest (casual, pve, trader, etc) will be unable to even defend against these players except in the rare occasion where they are travelling around in a large fleet. We will see players refusing to commit their best ships to combat due to being unable to replace them. This has happened in the past when the devs decided to make it more difficult to replace ships (reference Fine woods for example). I believe you were the one that made reference to Naval Action Legends, funny as that is exactly where I see this game headed as things continue to change towards empowering the pvp player over all others. I disagree with the OP that the hard core PVE player is an option in this game due to the fact that for traders to make an acceptable level of profit it now places them at sea for over an hour or 2. I believe that this was done so that there would be more targets in OW for the pvp player to go after. While this is a risk most traders will accept, I think forcing it was a bit over the top. Even trade goods dropped by the AI require you to sail clear across the map in most cases. This is why I feel the game is reaching the point were it is unplayable by a solo player who is not a raider as he simply can not maintain an income of materials to sustain losses that will eventually occur.

Agreed, and the most depressing thing... We've tested this before.

• Like 2

Well, it sounds great in theory: Good ships are valuable and have to be earned, thus making them special and rare. The reality in a mmo game plays out a bit different however: The better ships are only valuable, special and rare for those players that can not sink a dozen hours into the game every day. So on top of the skill / experience gap, they add or vastly increased the gear gap between between hardcore and casual / new players. In a game that is so grindy and time consuming already, anything that makes it harder to get a decent ship, which can be lost so easily, especially when you are a low skill player, is pure poison for the total player population.

The hardcore players can not only get better gear far more easily and in higher quantity, they also lose a lot less than casual, low skill and new players. A mmo, especially if it is as niche as Naval Action, is simply not sustainable with only 200 hardcore players - at some point they bought all DLCs and get tired of the empty map.

There should be more purely cosmetic long term progress / rewards and DLCs, to help keep the game alive - in terms of revenue and players. Maybe even both? How about a DLC that allows you to unlock a special paint for a ship, once you maxed out the ship knowledge with only PvP xp?

I also think it was a bad decision to remove ship notes from PvP rewards. They were far more expensive than crafted ships and with lower chance for exceptional builds, but at least it allowed people to get decent ships even as solo players and without access to rare woods. It was balanced and helped dedicated PvP players with limited time, like me.

The less options and ways they give players to get decent ships that they want to sail, the less players there will be.

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 4

Agree with most of the points. Player manipulation is clearly visible everywhere in this game. It's a game design which suits maybe into the early 2000's but not in 2019. There are way too much restrictions and way too less options for the player to play this game -- Not everyone wants to sail 2+ hours to get a resource. Why force them to do this? From the very start of the testing period -- remember this game was sold as beta but announced ingame as alpha, which is a shame -- I tried to raise my flag for solo players, for people who have a day job and a family, but to no avail. Not a single of my posts and questions in this direction were ever answered by the devs. They simply have no interest in players like me, they don't want the game to be accessible, or else they would have made concept papers where you could read what exactly the changes are from patch to patch - we simply don't have this, but this is mandatory for testers. Instead of having concepts we have to collect all our knowledge from mostly outdated sources and tutorials? What testing should this be? Try and error? But the devs don't take testers seriously, has ever someone asked how many hours were spent here totally by all players (I have 1000+) and calculated what immense amount of money this would have caused when considering a normal fee of 40€ per hour?

I've seen terrible things, videos where players stream 6+ hours every night sending away their women who could be heard in the background ... This is a shame ... This is not 2019. This is stone age.

And then the devs complain about negative reviews. Why wonder?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Raekur said:

You might want to do some research first. You accused me of not knowing anything about PVP.

And when exactly did I do that?.

41 minutes ago, Raekur said:

From your comments I can tell you have little experience in crafting or non pvp activities.

That part is true.

46 minutes ago, Raekur said:

What this will eventually lead to is that the best skilled pvp players will have the highest capable ships

Why?, you don't need to pvp to get combat medals, they are for sale ALWAYS. And price will keep dropping as pvp'ers stock up with them.

23 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

The hardcore players can not only get better gear far more easily and in higher quantity, they also lose a lot less than casual, low skill and new players.

I agree with you, the gap in skill between hardcore pvp'er and causal is very big and expensive mods like elite french reg etc just makes the gap even wider. And I am totally against this.

4/5, 5/5 ships with special trims is also bad, also giving upper hand to those who already are blessed with superior skills. 

In fact anything rare and difficult to obtain should be just cosmetic or other things that do not directly impact the outcome of a battle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sento de Benimaclet said:

Precisely to be equalized should remove the permits or acquire doubloons as until a few weeks ago, the player who throws 12 hours per day playing will have their boats and the one that a couple of hours a day at the most will also have theirs, because if not me The mistake of what is involved in the game is naval action, that people fight against the machine and against humans, and following the current system of permits, the idea that more and more people are making PvP is untenable. Add permits with combat medals, victory marks is a selective process to make PvP, so it can never be mass. Allow them to cost doubloons, raise the price if you want, BUT TO THE REACH OF ALL.

In addition these measures do not consolidate the clans, since many people leave the game and therefore many clans end up weakening or disappearing.

EXACTLY!  The developers effectively punish all players who have any interest in doing anything other than PVP for even part of their playing time.  Through their transparent and insulting manipulation the developers are making it perfectly clear that they think all players on the PVP server should be hard core PVP/RVR and everyone else with any other interest should be banned to the PVE server.

• Like 1

Why?, you don't need to pvp to get combat medals, they are for sale ALWAYS. And price will keep dropping as pvp'ers stock up with them.

May I ask what nation you play in?  Pirate maybe cause of your flag?  You should take a look around other nations capitals.  From pass experience I rarely saw PvP marks sold in CT for the US cause most the time they are being sunk not winning fights.  When you loose all the time things like PvP marks become rare and every one doesn't share/sale the extras.  Remember there are winners and looser in this game and not every one wins all the time.  That is why I was trying to get @admin to show the stats of the folks that die the most when he was showing all those numbers. I'll bet you that we have some players that have died multi times and never gotten a PvP Kill. I know one of my clan mates I sunk many a times on GLOBAL when I was a pirate.  He never got a PvP kill until he joined my clan and we did a shallow port battle (his first port battle that was a win) and got his first PvP kill and assist in over 2 years of game play.  So no those are not flowing in every nations ports.

While goofing around and fighiting yesterday I lost 5 ships supporting others in the nation.  I didn't mind cause I have like over 100 ships and need to clean out the docks.  Though if I was a new player or even a casuals that could of been all the ships I had and I wouldn't been able to replace them cause guess what?  I actually got zero Combat Rewards cause all my assist wasn't enough damage (cause you share them in big fights and I was in smaller ships) so I got nothing but a few reals for the fights.  What Doubloons I would of earned was on my ships when they went down and others we not able to collect it either.  So I didn't even earn Doubloons for all that fight.  I did earn VM for an empty port battle cause we had a screening fleet that did it's job with the Russians.  I think when release comes and folks have to start from scratch it's going to be a big eye opener about how hard this game really has turned.

• Like 3

And when exactly did I do that?.

That part is true.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Costa de Castilla said:

This clearly shows your have very lite knowledge of how pvp in general, what drags people to it and the different aspects of it. 

And I am not here to enlighten you, but pvp is more then just deciding a time and place and then "duke it out".

This ain't Naval Action "legends".

So stop trying to limit gameplay and learn / play the game instead of feeling sorry for yourself and other new players having a "hard" time.

Adapt, learn. It's not that hard to avoid other players, and if you completely want to avoid pvp then there is a server for just that.:).

Thank you and have a good day,..

Next!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This and one other post from you towards me was the reference in question.

I will agree that combat medals may be purchased....provided that they are on sale and are not costing 100,000 real per for example. Combat medals will become nothing more than a very high priced trade good with the price being 100% controlled by the pvp player with little to zero competition. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a good for the server thing either.

2 minutes ago, Raekur said:

On 3/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Costa de Castilla said:

This clearly shows your have very lite knowledge of how pvp in general, what drags people to it and the different aspects of it. 

And I am not here to enlighten you, but pvp is more then just deciding a time and place and then "duke it out".

This ain't Naval Action "legends".

So stop trying to limit gameplay and learn / play the game instead of feeling sorry for yourself and other new players having a "hard" time.

Adapt, learn. It's not that hard to avoid other players, and if you completely want to avoid pvp then there is a server for just that.:).

Thank you and have a good day,..

Next!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This and one other post from you towards me was the reference in question.

I will agree that combat medals may be purchased....provided that they are on sale and are not costing 100,000 real per for example. Combat medals will become nothing more than a very high priced trade good with the price being 100% controlled by the pvp player with little to zero competition. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a good for the server thing either.

Ah yeah,

Different topic so was confused. And I stand by my statement.

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I think when release comes and folks have to start from scratch it's going to be a big eye opener about how hard this game really has turned.

So true, mate. Except for the usual players that 1) will beat the final tutorial in two hours and 2) have bought DLC ships and 3) will start farming newbies outside caputals.

But I have the feeling that this is just what Devs want. So, why bothering?

• Like 4

Costa de Castilla said:

"I usually roll with the best ships and the best upgrades, and every now and then I get sunk. It's inevitable. But I don't get sunk 3-4 times a day like some other players, I can't afford too.

I understand that your issue is that it is too tough to replace ships for our kind of players?. Then you have to understand if they make it easier for the "casual" "solo" player to replace ships then imagine how easy it would be for the "non-casual" players who are in a good clan."

Actually, no, you obviously do not understand my issue because my issue is NOT that it is too tough to replace ships.  My issue is the way the Developers insult my/our intelligence by MANIPULATING us into playing they game how THEY think we should play the game.  The related issue about replacing ships is a SYMPTOM of the insulting manipulation.

Costa de Castilla said:

"Devs don't hate solo players, but they can't adjust the game around us. We are a minority."

This is utter nonsense because of course they can adjust the game around whoever that "us" is supposed to be.  We know for a fact that the developers can do this because that is how the game used to be.  We the Players, as in ALL players, USED to be able to craft any damn ship we wanted to craft whenever we wanted to craft it once we had all of the resources and materials we needed.  Also, we USED to be able to do that without being subject to the stupid and unrealistic whims of the RNG gods.

We the Players USED to be able to level up ANY/ALL ships regardless of rating by using combat missions, and we could do that without having to sail around for up to 45 minutes to an hour hoping that we might stumble upon a single ship or group of ships that is a worthwhile target of opportunity in the right rating range.  Now leveling up 4th Rates and Ships of the Line is mind numbingly boring and tedious.  Now there are ships I won't craft nor buy and won't sail because it is just too damn tedious, boring, and flat out painful - aka not fun - to unlock the skill boxes.  And if the ships I refuse to sail now are better than the ones I have fully unlocked then oh well, I'll never find out.

We the Players USED to be able to do missions as a group so that we could practice and train together to develop effective teamwork without having to sail around for up to 45 minutes to an hour hoping that we might stumble upon a group of ships that is a worthwhile target of opportunity in the right rating range.  In other words, the game USED to be much better for that "us" type of player to whom you seem to be referring.

Costa de Castilla said:

"Maybe a clan player with 12 hours/day playtime can afford loosing 3 ships/day, but my fleet would be completely destroyed. Maybe I can afford loosing 1 ship/week.

Sorry Captain but that's the reality, alone is not always strong.:), especially in Naval Action."

I don't know from where that quote came but it didn't come from me nor anyone who posted before your comment.  So, how is this relevant?

Costa de Castilla said:

"If you just want some casual pvp fun with little risc involved just cap a ship and put some basic upgrades on, all done within 15 minutes Captain."

Relevance?  This has absolutely nothing to do with the issue I am addressing.  The level of risk is NOT the issue.  The way the developers are insulting our intelligence by treating us like stupid children they need to manipulate is the issue.  Also, how in the world is it fun to take an inferior ship into combat, especially a ship that I probably have not unlocked any skill boxes? When I lose I want lose because the other player is better than I am, NOT because the other player's ship is significantly better than mine.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

May I ask what nation you play in?  Pirate maybe cause of your flag?  You should take a look around other nations capitals.  From pass experience I rarely saw PvP marks sold in CT for the US cause most the time they are being sunk not winning fights.  When you loose all the time things like PvP marks become rare and every one doesn't share/sale the extras.  Remember there are winners and looser in this game and not every one wins all the time.  That is why I was trying to get @admin to show the stats of the folks that die the most when he was showing all those numbers. I'll bet you that we have some players that have died multi times and never gotten a PvP Kill. I know one of my clan mates I sunk many a times on GLOBAL when I was a pirate.  He never got a PvP kill until he joined my clan and we did a shallow port battle (his first port battle that was a win) and got his first PvP kill and assist in over 2 years of game play.  So no those are not flowing in every nations ports.

While goofing around and fighiting yesterday I lost 5 ships supporting others in the nation.  I didn't mind cause I have like over 100 ships and need to clean out the docks.  Though if I was a new player or even a casuals that could of been all the ships I had and I wouldn't been able to replace them cause guess what?  I actually got zero Combat Rewards cause all my assist wasn't enough damage (cause you share them in big fights and I was in smaller ships) so I got nothing but a few reals for the fights.  What Doubloons I would of earned was on my ships when they went down and others we not able to collect it either.  So I didn't even earn Doubloons for all that fight.  I did earn VM for an empty port battle cause we had a screening fleet that did it's job with the Russians.  I think when release comes and folks have to start from scratch it's going to be a big eye opener about how hard this game really has turned.

Well said, this points out why most of the things I want to see is a balance that helps new players instead of making it where they will be the sheep for an extended period of time. The starting from nothing and building up has become massively more difficult up until the recent patch that started putting class 6-7 ships near the capital ports. Before that the grind from 0 to a decent crew size could be measured in MONTHS not hours as some (who I suspect have not had to do it recently) believe. Sometimes I wish per account you could have 2 characters instead of one. This would enable us to test from scratch without completely wiping out everything we have.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Costa de Castilla said:

Ah yeah,

Different topic so was confused. And I stand by my statement.

just to give you a little insight, I have made it to the pvp boards a couple of times..not one of the top but I did make it a point of trying out every aspect of the game to gain a better perspective on the different play styles..it's called testing :)

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

Well, it sounds great in theory: Good ships are valuable and have to be earned, thus making them special and rare. The reality in a mmo game plays out a bit different however: The better ships are only valuable, special and rare for those players that can not sink a dozen hours into the game every day. So on top of the skill / experience gap, they add or vastly increased the gear gap between between hardcore and casual / new players. In a game that is so grindy and time consuming already, anything that makes it harder to get a decent ship, which can be lost so easily, especially when you are a low skill player, is pure poison for the total player population.

The hardcore players can not only get better gear far more easily and in higher quantity, they also lose a lot less than casual, low skill and new players. A mmo, especially if it is as niche as Naval Action, is simply not sustainable with only 200 hardcore players - at some point they bought all DLCs and get tired of the empty map.

There should be more purely cosmetic long term progress / rewards and DLCs, to help keep the game alive - in terms of revenue and players. Maybe even both? How about a DLC that allows you to unlock a special paint for a ship, once you maxed out the ship knowledge with only PvP xp?

I also think it was a bad decision to remove ship notes from PvP rewards. They were far more expensive than crafted ships and with lower chance for exceptional builds, but at least it allowed people to get decent ships even as solo players and without access to rare woods. It was balanced and helped dedicated PvP players with limited time, like me.

The less options and ways they give players to get decent ships that they want to sail, the less players there will be.

The like I gave your post is not sufficient.  Your comment is superb, as in spot on, as in excellent.  Bravo Zulu!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Raekur said:

just to give you a little insight, I have made it to the pvp boards a couple of times..not one of the top but I did make it a point of trying out every aspect of the game to gain a better perspective on the different play styles..it's called testing :)

I don't remember the other topic mate, so pls keep them seperated. Why even discuss it here.

You made leaderboard?, BRAVO.