Game-Labs Forum

i'd like to suggest changing all reinforcement and capital zones into non pvp zones, areas in which pvp combat can not be initiated, as it stands right now the reinforcement zones do not prevent players from being seal clubbed outside their own non capturable ports and starting areas, if this is implemented this is what the benefits and disadvantages i can foresee are.

advantages.
1. no more sealclubbing outside starting ports.

2. safe area for new players and existing players to trade around home ports.

3. no need for coast guard or players dedicated to defending their starting area anymore and can go out and play without worrying about new players being beaten out of the game outside the capitals.

4. allows players from the pve server to join us without loosing all aspects of the pve environment.

disadvantages,
1.  players may tend to stay as close to their home ports for those starting out

as it stands this would give new players a feeling of safety outside starting ports without the threat of being ganked by other nations at these locations and removes seal clubbing outside non cap-able ports.

• Like 7

I dislike the concept of "safe zones" in general but the more time I spend in-game again, the more I think something of the sort is necessary. I make a lot of comparisons to EVE for this game, as it's attempting a similar loop, and EVE very much supports safe zones to a certain degree ("safe" is very casually used here).

Primarily I think there should be some type of area where newly-joined players can experience base-level missions, trading and player interaction without getting chain killed within minutes of leaving port. That might be something as simple as making capital missions more abundant and making them only spawn in safe waters, or something as complex as introducing a "starter area" that new spawns of all nations begin the game at until they choose to leave.

Another simple mechanic that would inhibit this type of behavior is adding a mechanic where sinking a ship in their reinforcement zone prevents it from dropping any inventory or counting towards any mission/leaderboard.

Edited by TheHaney
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

I dislike the concept of "safe zones" in general but the more time I spend in-game again, the more I think something of the sort is necessary. I make a lot of comparisons to EVE for this game, as it's attempting a similar loop, and EVE very much supports safe zones to a certain degree ("safe" is very casually used here).

Primarily I think there should be some type of area where newly-joined players can experience base-level missions, trading and player interaction without getting chain killed within minutes of leaving port. That might be something as simple as making capital missions more abundant and making them only spawn in safe waters, or something as complex as introducing a "starter area" that new spawns of all nations begin the game at until they choose to leave.

Another simple mechanic that would inhibit this type of behavior is adding a mechanic where sinking a ship in their reinforcement zone prevents it from dropping any inventory or counting towards any mission/leaderboard.

wouldnt creating a zone that all new players start at and only they can choose when to leave it be easily abused as no one would need to leave it they could grind to max lvl before leave such a zone.

with safe waters around non cap-able ports it gives everyone of all nations safety from pvp not just the nation that those waters belong to, we wont have say us waters around cton only protecting us players but any player that sails into these waters, i can see captial zone enabling pvp against foreign nations that sail into it but protects us players from being attacked but doesnt prevent us players from attacking.

right now reinforcement zones are practically a joke to have.

Join zone for all players as a neutral nation.

After commodore rank they must move on

After master and commander they must choose a nation.

Up to commodore rank you are allowed to initiate and join battles in the zone. Any other rank must move on, of they want to battle ever again.

Trader ships are not protected by the zone.

McBaity.

• Like 2

Would be alright if there was NPCs!!! isn't any reason to be around the capital.

The “Melting Pot” syndrome has made all reinforcement zones redundant.

Also I believe with pop, ganking within a capital would be diminish, alittle, if there's pop.

In this game, “Sustainability” is the key, for new players and pop alike.     

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

wouldnt creating a zone that all new players start at and only they can choose when to leave it be easily abused as no one would need to leave it they could grind to max lvl before leave such a zone.

I'm not too worried about that, there's a dozen ways to prevent such behavior. Could be as simple as not allowing players in the starting zone to advance beyond Master and Commander (tutorial finish rank).

That being said, I generally lean towards doing something with capital waters. A new-player area has been done very well in a variety of games (EQ2's starter island did well), but generally works best if integrated into the overall gameplay. Doing a separate new-player area justice would eat up far too much development time compared to just instituting something simple around capitals, as you've suggested.

Edited by TheHaney

My take on safe zones:

No tagging of any kind (AI or player). Master and Commander and below missions should spawn within the safe zones. The top 4 ranks should spawn outside the zone.

This is of course based on pre patch 27 as I haven't played patch 27.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

Join zone for all players as a neutral nation.

After commodore rank they must move on

After master and commander they must choose a nation.

Up to commodore rank you are allowed to initiate and join battles in the zone. Any other rank must move on, of they want to battle ever again.

Trader ships are not protected by the zone.

McBaity.

u could abuse that so easily could just be there grinding reals doing trading indefinitely, 

47 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Denie doubloon drop in the reinforcementzones completely (for both sides) and do not make kills in the zones count for the PvP-leaderboard. This will solve the problem and those Requin captains will leave beginners alone. Fat traders will stay unsave. 

no they wont players would still sit just outside the reinforcement zone tempting new players to engage them, with safe zones it would make the R and C zones useful since the nerf on reinforcements,  atleast with safe zones it would prevent new players from loosing ships in that area, with ur idea it doesnt prevent players from engaging new players for the sole fact of pvp combat

Omg.

No.

Reduce or remove the R zones completely.

There is a PvP and a pve server choose one that suits you.

The new player who does the tutorial now is much better placed than we were 3 years ago.

Stop all this dumbing down of the game.

Have a reinforcement zone and with AI and low mission rewards to 'help' people leave the zone.

And all these seals you mention??

You mean pve admirals and ALTS.

Edited by Flash Jack

just look at the steam charts for player counts we arent gaining players were steadily loosing them where do u think most new players server choice they make they choose pvp server and what nation normally its US nation as its the first choice, where does most of the pvp seal clubbing happen at outside charleston, killing off new players constantly every damn nation does it to the US and other starting nations, why because its easy prey with no real challenge or risk of loss.

what is needed is protecting this new players to keep them around, whether they are alts or pve admirals it doesnt change the fact this seal clubbing is driving players away from the game. 

Keep the RoE of the safezones ( always open for owner ).

Make AI aggressive to enemy players - they will actively sail towards and attack enemy players sailing in the area.

If possible make OW NPC fleets join ongoing battles.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Keep the RoE of the safezones ( always open for owner ).

Make AI aggressive to enemy players - they will actively sail towards and attack enemy players sailing in the area.

If possible make OW NPC fleets join ongoing battles.

this i can support as the best course of action