Game-Labs Forum

"Nesting" or "Rafting UP" a real world capability

Please consider giving all players working together and ships the ability to nest.  Nesting (or Rafting Up a more modern term) is a real world and viable capability for ships working together to actually come close to one another, put over lines and send items to one another.  Another way to look at nesting is it is an at sea or  "sea to sea" transfer ability.  For example, a group of ships operating together can nest or raft up, and exchange or share hull or rig repairs, rum, crew and even other items deemed capable of being transferred.  Additionally, items brought from port for the purpose of supporting at sea operations are able to be moved from one ship to another without, repeat without returning to port.  One of the most important capabilities of nesting or rafting up is it keeps ships at sea without the need to return to port to fetch more repairs.  That is, it keeps them in the fight for a longer period of time. 

Since we have the ability to loot another ship after it has been sunk, nesting could become another option from that part of the software.  Instead of pressing X to loot, a player could press another key that asks if he or she wants to nest with the other ship or ships.  Did the ships of Naval Action really nest in the real world, yes they did.  The accompanying picture shows a group of sailing ships nested.  Yes they are at anchor but doing it underway was more than possible, it was done. However, it did require really careful seamanship.  Thanks for your attention to this matter.

rafting up.jpg

• Like 5

It was suggested before to implement trading to battle instances - So you could have a chat with your opponent and try to make a deal, "if you pay 150k i'll let you go" or something

Gotcha Breeze.

I reckon a lot of us jumped it to also promote the exchange at the highseas - say like when a privateer intercepts a trader and takes only what he wants and let the fellow go on on its way without further prejudice.

• Like 2

Make it on the OW.  Make it so if you do it, you can not move and you have an uninterruptible timer you have to deal with where you can be tagged.

If you want to trade you have to make sure you are in a completely safe place to do it if you're not doing it in a port.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickard said:

I disagree, stopping on the OW itself is already dangerous enough don't create penalties for it.

You need to navigate very carefully next to each other.  You need to throw and secure lines.  If you see danger nearby you need to disengage yourself and then navigate carefully away from each other.  As noted in the OP, this maneuver does require very careful seamanship.  

You can't just sail up to each other click trade, click a few buttons, then sail away.  On top of this there is no collision on the Open Sea.  Thus a timer would be more reflective of the actual effort required to really do this if two boats were indeed attempting to "raft". 

Sea State has more to do with the safety aspect of this maneuver.  You can nest in heavy rain, but high winds will cause a great deal more danger as the ships might bump hard.  I suspect at the time period of the game, the ships used manila hauser to create fenders so when the went along side the ships could do so more safely.  Of course today we use larger rubber fenders to accomplish this.

fenders.jpg

• Like 1

In general i like the idea. But certain goods should only be tradeable in ports. While the main focus is on repairs and it would add more depth to the game to acutally have a supplyship in fleet in the one hand but on the other hand it would be boring gameplay for this guy.

The downsinde of this it is possible to create secret outposts:

Players would use alts. place an indiaman full of repairs somewhere and only login to handover repairs. Impossible to know where and so it wouldnt be possible to tactical deafeat them.

What i mean by tactical defeat is: they have to withdraw while constantly attacking drains their repairs till they are out.

The current system is awesome. An attacker has to plan how he will be supplied in enemy territory. Nesting would just add an easy mode for them and favours players with alts to much.

So i am not sure if trading at sea should be easy.

Well we know for a fact that during ww2 , subs and battleships were re-supplied at sea. It would seem perfectly feasible that it could have been done in our time frame also. I'd have envisaged a ship traveling on the OW for 5 days , should have 5 days supplies on hand but that's me being picky  :)

There does need to be some danger in doing it though, not a good maneuver to be caught doing, not something that could instantly be gotten away from and you would be in deep do do if an enemy caught you tied to a trader on the OW

definitely worth some thought, it would definitely speed commerce IMHO , joining to  a fleet on the OW  , should be only from your own nation I guess too for now