Game-Labs Forum

A better way to recognize prowess at PvP

Rather than use a leaderboard to indicate the PvP players with the most kills, why not have a ranking system that ranks players up based on the numbers of kills. Still use the BR formula that is currently used for leaderboards, but make it so that after so many points they get an additional ranking that is displayed visually by their name. If they get killed they lose points from that ranking so it is not just an endless rise in rank. If you get killed too often you can lose rank too.

You could have several ranks up to a maximum and you could even have a different ranking system for captures rather than kills. Just something to indicate the sort of player you are up against. Different nations could have different designations in their ranking systems to make them more personalized.

NO REWARDS for such a system just a system to indicate the people more successful at PvP. From discussions in another thread it occurred to me that many PvP'ers want some recognition for their success and something to show for their efforts and I think such a system might encourage more people to go out and PvP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

For the love of god just bring paints back...

Pretty much this... i have no use for epeen measurement contests but paints on the other hand improve the game visually and give a option for customization on your ship which is sorely lacking at the moment...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

For the love of god just bring paints back...

Paints are not currently in the game for whatever reason. I guess they will eventually come back and initially they may be rare but eventually they will become commonplace as they were before, so they will not be a way of showing how good a PvP'er you are but more of how much money you have to enable you buy them from other players.

1 minute ago, Captain Lust said:

Pretty much this... i have no use for epeen measurement contests but paints on the other hand improve the game visually and give a option for customization on your ship which is sorely lacking at the moment...

So your whole argument about the leaderboard is just about getting rewards rather than a system of recognizing who is good at PvP. May as well not have a leaderboard and put rewards like paints etc into deadmans chest events, after all its not about showing your skill its just about getting paints.

I give up, people will be wanting to be paid to play the game next rather than play a game to enjoy it. 

hey I love PvP, NA is a PvP game, great lets play, oh hold on I dont want to PvP because they dont give me anything to PvP, lets just sit around and PvE till they give us something to PvP for. I'm sorry but that is the current state of the game.

Edited by Archaos

2 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

We dont care about showing up, we want some rewards for risking our best ships for several hours a day ;). PvE has no risk, good rewards and books/upgreades, PvP - combat marks and a bit of gold xp when you sink a ship - well...

Agree...

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

So your whole argument about the leaderboard is just about getting rewards rather than a system of recognizing who is good at PvP. May as well not have a leaderboard and put rewards like paints etc into deadmans chest events, after all its not about showing your skill its just about getting paints.

No, it is about getting an actual reward... There are daily leaderboards now and the best pvp players are pretty well known anyways due to the small community... what else do we need? The game is so poorly balanced and OW fights are rarely equal on top anyways... i don't see what this epeen show off BR would add tbh...

9 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I give up, people will be wanting to be paid to play the game next rather than play a game to enjoy it. 

Are you for real, this new victory mark CRAP gives everyone in a high population nation rewards for the actions of the few!!!

4 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

I am recognizable enough, i worked 1,5 year for that...

Let me ask you a question Archaos, do you even PvP ? Because you have a lot things to say about PvP and rewards for it, but i hever saw you in OW...

PS:

Deadmen chest event is shit and i will not waste my time on it.

I could say the same about you, just because you have not met me it does not mean I dont play.

I agree deadmens chest event is rubbish, but if that was where the paint was would you do it? This is the same logic you are putting to the PvP leaderboard and getting paint as reward for being on it. It becomes not about the PvP but about the paint and if it was that important you would do the deadmans chest for it.

2 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Are you for real, this new victory mark CRAP gives everyone in a high population nation rewards for the actions of the few!!!

What does this have to do with the topic, the topic is nothing to do with rewards, why does everyone who replies keep talking about rewards. The topic is about a system that gives people recognition for their skill at PvP. You want rewards then go ask for them in another topic. The devs already said there is no rewards for being on the leaderboard so I just thought of a system that gives more lasting fame as a PvP'er rather than a fleeting one day leaderboard.

I am not a great PvP'er and I may never get anywhere in the ranking system I propose but there are others I feel may enjoy such a system.

2 hours ago, Archaos said:

What does this have to do with the topic, the topic is nothing to do with rewards, why does everyone who replies keep talking about rewards. The topic is about a system that gives people recognition for their skill at PvP. You want rewards then go ask for them in another topic. The devs already said there is no rewards for being on the leaderboard so I just thought of a system that gives more lasting fame as a PvP'er rather than a fleeting one day leaderboard.

I am not a great PvP'er and I may never get anywhere in the ranking system I propose but there are others I feel may enjoy such a system.

I'm responding to your comment regarding, why does everyone want rewards, with the biggest example yet of receiving a reward for no reason!

If you want to continue being a dick I'll join in....

3 minutes ago, monk33y said:

I'm responding to your comment regarding, why does everyone want rewards, with the biggest example yet of receiving a reward for no reason!

If you want to continue being a dick I'll join in....

And my response was to the people whose first comments on the thread were to make it all about rewards rather that what I proposed. The thread has nothing to do with rewards or VM's it was purely a suggestion to give recognition to people who are good at PvP. But some people have their knickers in a bunch because the Devs didnt give them rewards for being on a leaderboard so they decided to hijack this thread.

2 hours ago, monk33y said:

So you have made a thread asking for the table of pvp that we already have!!!!!

Clap.   Clap.   Clap!

Maybe I did not make my original post clear, but what I am proposing is not a leaderboard like you have in game at the moment it is a rank you get similar to how you get a greater rank as you level up in game. The current leaderboard is only visible for one day and then it restarts, I propose ranks that remain visible when a player sees you in OW. If ranks are to confusing they could add stars or something similar.

After getting so many points you get one star and this can be worked on till maybe a maximum of 5 stars, but you lose points by the same formula when you are sunk so your stars can go down as well back to zero stars. So basically if you see a 5 star rear admiral you know you are facing a skilled PvP player that has won a lot more battles than he has lost.

Such a system would also benefit the skilled players who do not have as much time to play like some others. Say for example you are a skilled player who is so good that you never lost a battle, but due to real life work/family etc you only get time to play a couple of hours every weekend, most people wont know you and you will not appear regular on leaderboards but at least if you are winning all your PvP battles you will eventually rank up over time and get your stars or whatever they would be called.

People can still have their daily leaderboards and reward events for paint etc, but this would just be another system that gives some recognition to skilled players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archaos said:

Such a system would also benefit the skilled players who do not have as much time to play like some others. Say for example you are a skilled player who is so good that you never lost a battle, but due to real life work/family etc you only get time to play a couple of hours every weekend, most people wont know you and you will not appear regular on leaderboards but at least if you are winning all your PvP battles you will eventually rank up over time and get your stars or whatever they would be called.

Why does your suggestion even matter? Who cares if you never lost or you killed 20 people yesterday? It has zero impact to anyone in the game so why do you want NA resources coding such useless items that does absolutely nothing for the game?

Why not ask for something we all could use?

3 minutes ago, Vllad said:

Why does your suggestion even matter? Who cares if you never lost or you killed 20 people yesterday? It has zero impact to anyone in the game so why do you want NA resources coding such useless items that does absolutely nothing for the game?

Why not ask for something we all could use?

What harm would such a system cause? The same could be said for a lot of things in the game, why bother having ships paints they have zero impact on the game, what about updating the ship models on certain ships to make them look better, does that have any impact on the game? People are requesting being able to name their ships, design their own flags etc, lets not bother with any of that.

Wanting rewards for leaderboards....

i-want-all-the-stickers-meme-11914.jpg

what game out there rewards you for getting on the leaderboard?

Steam summer sale stickers are rubbing off on people too much.  Reward for going through the discovery queue, reward for following game, reward for adding to wishlist, reward for saying not interested, reward for customizing preferences, reward for, reward for, reward for...why do we need to be rewarded for everything?

Edited by Prater

2 hours ago, Archaos said:

What harm would such a system cause?

It harms everything that is broken that could actually be fixed. They have limited resources and I want them fixing things that matter to everyone. Once the game is more playable in area's that count then people can ask for the things that simply mean nothing.

10 minutes ago, Vllad said:

It harms everything that is broken that could actually be fixed. They have limited resources and I want them fixing things that matter to everyone. Once the game is more playable in area's that count then people can ask for the things that simply mean nothing.

Just read most of the replies to my suggestion and you will see the type of things most people seem to want. They dont seem to care about getting stuff fixed its all "gimmie paints" "throw me a few trinkets" "I wont PvP unless I get paint".

I started this thread after debates in another thread about people crying that they did not get rewards for being on the leaderboard. From the discussion there I got the impression some people wanted some sort of recognition of their efforts at PvP, I thought it could be a system that would not be abused by cheaters as there was no point in cheating and it would be genuine PvP. But I guess I was wrong and people just want their shinies no matter if it encourages cheating and gaming the system. People dont want the system fixed, they just want it to suit them so they can get what they want.

Long term Kill/Death ratio is the only meaningful measure of performance. RE: Because if you can play 8 hours  day, you can get more kills accumulated than a person who played for 90 minutes after work. Since the current system doesn't take deaths into account, it gives a false impression of achievement. Also, the number of players in your gank fleet, should reduce the achievement. e.g. If you have 3 ships and you attack 1 ship, you should get 1/3 of a kill. Just like REAL military kill tracking.

Edited by Pagan Pete
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Pagan Pete said:

Long term Kill/Death ratio is the only meaningful measure of performance. RE: Because if you can play 8 hours  day, you can get more kills accumulated than a person who played for 90 minutes after work. Since the current system doesn't take deaths into account, it gives a false impression of achievement. Also, the number of players in your gank fleet, should reduce the achievement. e.g. If you have 3 ships and you attack 1 ship, you should get 1/3 of a kill. Just like REAL military kill tracking.

Pete.. take your reason and logic and leave.. this is the internet and that sort of thing has no place here....:)

I definitely would love more information when I right click name. A ship's history (pvp fights+port battles etc) would be great, too. Baseball-esque statistics of every player would also make a lot of 'keyboard warriors' shut up..

Edited by HarryButpain

3 hours ago, Pagan Pete said:

This is the type of ranking system I am proposing, some formula would have to be worked out to calculate points based on kills, assists, numbers, BR difference etc and the same formula would be used to deduct points for being killed or captured. And rather than a leaderboard that is displayed somewhere you get a star or some indication by your name in game.

But obviously from the tone of most of the responses here, people would not be interested in such a system so I guess its a bad suggestion :(.

• Like 1