Game-Labs Forum

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Actually grape is FAR more devastating vs crew on a rake than ball.  

I can rake a LGV with a basic Cutter, using ball, and get maybe 10 men.  If I do a rake using grape on the same LGV I can take out 20-40men easy.  

I know, but rake with balls is causing casualties that are often high enough.  My comment is about PvP.  Also the risk that you change to grapes and wont get a good position to rake is often too high that people would change to grapes.  Ball rake damage, if that hits the target, is often so devastating that there is no reason to use grapes.

Another issue is, that if we make rake damage to be too low, people start to stern/bow tank.

1. Grape rake should have competitive risk/reward

2. Ball rake should have damage that you do not want to tank with your stern/bow too many times.

This is hard to balance.

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

When you look at a real cannon, most of the shots at anything over 100m was pretty much luck.   Not like these were rifled barreled cannons with fin stabilized sabot rounds.  

True, I agree here.  I think cannons could be made a bit less accurate, nothing against it.

Maybe it would fix it.

24 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

I know, but rake with balls is causing casualties that are often high enough.  My comment is about PvP.  Also the risk that you change to grapes and wont get a good position to rake is often too high that people would change to grapes.  Ball rake damage, if that hits the target, is often so devastating that there is no reason to use grapes.

Another issue is, that if we make rake damage to be too low, people start to stern/bow tank.

2. Ball rake should have damage that you do not want to tank with your stern/bow too many times.

This is hard to balance.

The casualties from ball shots is mostly from splinter damage not from the ball actually hitting the crew.  And depending on the wood type of the ship and the velocity and caliber of the ball you can cause more or less casualties.  Like a 18lb Carronade does more casualties from splinters than a 18lb long gun.   You will cause MORE casualties when shooting at a ship made of Fir than the same ship hit with the same shot, but made of Live oak.

3 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

This is hard to balance.

It already does. A good ball rake does superstructure damage . you get enough of that even the big boys start losing masts fast

4 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

It already does. A good ball rake does superstructure damage . you get enough of that even the big boys start losing masts fast

Correct. A Constitution mizzen mast falls and suddenly everyone looks to the little snow in disbelief.

• Like 1

1v1 people naturally wanna cap ships.. That's their bloody job and way to make money.. If a guy who prefers to sink ppl fights a demaster what he has to do is to keep distance by using chains. As long as someone stays far enough away demasting shouldn't be viable at all just as chain that should become drastically inaccurate the farther away you are from your target. Round shot should have superior accuracy at any distance while demasting requires you to be at rake distance just like grapeshot, chain has a bit more range but becomes useless fast if someone wants to keep his distance.. Add to that actually useful mast/sail protection mods and perks so that both parties have more time to follow their preferred playstyle. If you're specced for group fights like extra armor/reload and reduced speed than it's your own bloody fault for getting tagged by a privateer..

I remember a fight in potbs where the guy simply always managed to keep his distance.. He eventually sunk me and I felt powerless, cause I never managed to get close to him..

I don't understand why this simple concept is beyond devs' capabilities..

Edited by HarryButpain

Demasting should be reverted to pre-patch levels. You now technically have unlimited repairs and no longer just have the single one to pop. Say it will take me 5 minutes to demast, you pop a repair, and you can repair in say 7 minutes... Point being, demasting is quite difficult even at 100m and the effort, skill and intricacy required to do so is easily countered by the buff and 10 minute rigging repairs, compared to just going for hull WHICH IS SOO MUCH EASIER. Unless rigging repairs have their own timer to 20 minutes, it could be viable.

Demasting is too difficult compared to going for hull, therefore rigging repairs should have a longer cooldown. OR! keep the demasting values and add a mast repair option every 30 minutes and keep the hull and sails repair on the same 10 minute cooldowns ?

• Like 2

The reason that every one was going after mast after patch was cause it's the fastest way to slow down all these fail fit speed boats.   Ships like that should have fragil mast, but with the constant repairs they can keep there mast above any thing that slows them down much.

I'm with every one else that the pre-patch thickness was about right just need to add more HP for the mast.  Maybe make the base more HP's over the top sections.  The other thing cannons need to loose accuracy at a distance and we need to revert back the super sniper laser stern guns to the same accuracy as all the other guns.  

Just to add this in combat instance... If your ship structure it masts have taken damage. You run into a ship( I am talking your going near full speed then your got nearly stop) big enough to stop you or a sand bar....BAD things should have a chance of happening,,,

I mean iuf ramming does enough damage to knock half your bow armor down the shock should do interesting things to the masts and rigging if they are damaged enough.. Running aground should be bad not just annoying

Another suggestion I saw in other threads on dismasting is changing the physics so players may choose between sailing full sail and risk snapping an already-weakened mast, or actually reducing sail to battle sails and decrease risk of breaking a mast before it can be repaired.

Currently no one uses battle sails in battle. Wonder why they are called battle sails.

• Like 1