Game-Labs Forum

I don't understand this Trim description. Help needed

1 minute ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Not as confusing as your question... OK you always want faster for those two. Why? Because it makes you more maneuverable. Rubber speed allows quicker changes in direction. Faster yard speed allows for better and quicker manual sailing ability

That does not even come close to answering the question...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Not as confusing as your question... OK you always want faster for those two. Why? Because it makes you more maneuverable. Rubber speed allows quicker changes in direction. Faster yard speed allows for better and quicker manual sailing ability

lol you are doing great job of confusing me even further haha
I have asked 2 specific questions that are related to THAT particular refit, even numbered them :) 
I didn't need the general answer

Edited by koltes

6 minutes ago, squedage said:

try clicking the link

Not showing for me damn tablet . anyway a positive number on rudder is usually bad meaning it takes longer to return to neutral from full turn. Negative means faster.

Yard speed positive means longer reaction time negative mean faster reaction.

Remember most if the upgrades gphave a good and bad.  

Edited by CaptVonGunn
  • Like 1

the numbers show the direct impact on the stats they tell you.

here its rudder half turn time (+)12%. that means your rudder gets a malus of 12% - it will turn slower (remember its half turntime. from zero position to maximum angle)

the yard turn time is -10% so the time they need to swing around is shortened. its a buff in this regard.

• Like 1

According to this describtion, u can see lose/lose situation, Both stats are worst;), ....rudder half turn time +12% means it should take more time to turn, ...yard turn speed -10% means it should move 10% slower, as there is different between moving speed and moving time, isnt it?

Theres definetly something wrong with this describtion, and its very confusing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BungeeLemming said:

the numbers show the direct impact on the stats they tell you.

here its rudder half turn time (+)12%. that means your rudder gets a malus of 12% - it will turn slower (remember its half turntime. from zero position to maximum angle)

the yard turn time is -10% so the time they need to swing around is shortened. its a buff in this regard.

Thanks for the explanation.

This upgrade doesn't make any sense. It trades turn speed for turn speed. End result what? Zero? Or eveb worse turn of the ship? 

Why not upgrade that has turn buff (rudder OR yards) but gives penalty to speed while turning. Would make much more sense

• Like 1

it totally depends on the ship you are in.

All the smaller vessels have an already good yard turnspeed. Some (mercury) have worse than others but in general your sails will adjust just fine to your needs. And you wont need this mod for schooners since there is no true benefit from it.

Now take something bigger. I am not sure when you notice the big drop in yard speed performance but there are vessels you will feel it. Also if your crew is not completely at sailing stations you get a benefit from this modification. I remember Mercury beeing very slow with her yards.

Everyone knows that turning with the yards is faster than rudder only. And the faster you get your yards to go about the faster you will tack for example. The rudder will ofc hampen your initial turn. And come in play when you want it back amidships. But geneally speaking I would use this mod for a lot of ships.

Test it ad see if you yourself feel the improvement - or if you feel the rudder turn is a big problem for you.

25 minutes ago, BungeeLemming said:

it totally depends on the ship you are in.

All the smaller vessels have an already good yard turnspeed. Some (mercury) have worse than others but in general your sails will adjust just fine to your needs. And you wont need this mod for schooners since there is no true benefit from it.

Now take something bigger. I am not sure when you notice the big drop in yard speed performance but there are vessels you will feel it. Also if your crew is not completely at sailing stations you get a benefit from this modification. I remember Mercury beeing very slow with her yards.

Everyone knows that turning with the yards is faster than rudder only. And the faster you get your yards to go about the faster you will tack for example. The rudder will ofc hampen your initial turn. And come in play when you want it back amidships. But geneally speaking I would use this mod for a lot of ships.

Test it ad see if you yourself feel the improvement - or if you feel the rudder turn is a big problem for you.

I understand how the upgrade works now yes, but still don't think it makes any sense. How speeding up my yards gonna have negative effect on the rudder or wise versa? 

1 hour ago, koltes said:

I understand how the upgrade works now yes, but still don't think it makes any sense. How speeding up my yards gonna have negative effect on the rudder or wise versa? 

Maybe it is drawn from what "trim by the stern" acts in reality and how the ship will act translated into a game thing ?

9 hours ago, koltes said:

Hi guys,

This really confuses me.
1. Rudder - do I get better or worse turn?
2. Yard turn speed - do I get faster or slower speed?

Thank you!

R6Pd3W5.png

the reaction to the rudder is 12% slower to complete a full, half turn on the ruther (penalty)

the turning to the yard turn is faster by 10 % (the buff)

this most handy for bigger ships with yards, because the turning of the yards is the slowest on those ships

very handy when turning against the wind and hold your turning  speed a bit (manual sailing)

the rudder does not have that great impact than(you are allready slow on speed)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 0:16 AM, Rychu Karas said:

There is an another example. This blebleble Screw 0.1% it means that our guns are better by 0.001, seriously?

There were three or 4 upgrades that had their "bonuses removed" in patch 10.1  They way they "removed" them was reducing the increases to be worthless.  

Yard turning is mainly to help in manual sailing, which is kind of a big deal -- it becomes a bigger and bigger deal as ship size increases.

In fact, with big ships, you will get more turn speed out of manually controlling your yards than you will get out of your rudder. There is a huge difference in turning a 4th rate with yards + rudder versus rudder alone.

So if you want more quick turns, it's probably an "okay" buff as it lets you swing the yards 10% faster.

That said, I can't fathom taking up a slot with that. There are other buffs that are just way more generally useful.