Game-Labs Forum

How i feel about making money

The economy must be easier, otherwise NA will remain only for Elitist gamers.

ex: Deliveries from free towns would make it easier

Sailing in OW is fine but it cannot become too time-consuming, sailors anthousiasm as got limits before diving into dimotivation...

Results & progress must be felt by players, today's stats are a bit too demanding.

Economy can be worked by other means. No need to return non-sailing mechanics.

One of them would be to allow the breakdown of captured ships for a credible amount of materials. Technically would make prized ships have a certain market value and prize being paid by shipbuilders for parts.

Think about it, we can use the fleet hold now, the amount of goods being transported did, theoretically, increase 4 times. That's four times less sailing than before, if you are willing to take the risk.

• Like 1

the problem i have is that i need to do like 4 hours of sailing to do the trading i need to do to make the money to do 1 hour of fighting

and for someone like me that works 12-16 hour shifts at a hospital i dont have the time nor the energy to do that

Edited by squedage
  • Like 1

Why 4 hours ? For maximum profit I guess :)

Maybe half an hour runs with less profit margin work as well ?

I know I did it on a emergency case. 6 runs in an hour, profit margin of 15% but did the job.

I could've done a 2 hour round trip and IIRC the profit margin would be something like 40% but the time spent would be too much.

The way of making money is just one (or, better, two):

1) grab missions until you have a trade ship and at least 100.000 gold to invest.

2) trade until you can build up a oak forest, iron mine, coal mine and a workshop, then start also crafting and selling cannons

3) buy a bigger trade ship and save some money for trade runs

4) when you need some money go build some cannons and run a trade route.

Any other activity in game gives lower incomes per hour.

Missions start being attractive only at post captain rank and up from there (but you need an expensive ship to do them and therefore you shall find yourself a far and quite area).

Selling crafted ships will not be rewarding until the price of harvesting materials from building will be consistently cut down.

23 hours ago, Gizbo said:

making money is slower but that is a good thing you now have to put the work in 

Work, no thanks I do enough of that all ready between my job and taking care of family. I could of sworn games are supposed to be fun. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Why 4 hours ? For maximum profit I guess :)

Maybe half an hour runs with less profit margin work as well ?

I know I did it on a emergency case. 6 runs in an hour, profit margin of 15% but did the job.

I could've done a 2 hour round trip and IIRC the profit margin would be something like 40% but the time spent would be too much.

4 hours b.c all the closer ports are already cleaned out

Just now, squedage said:

4 hours b.c all the closer ports are already cleaned out

gotcha. That's half the map sailing with a full ship :)

I did my 6 runs with hemp by the way. Absolutely no chance the port would be clean.

1 minute ago, The Red Duke said:

gotcha. That's half the map sailing with a full ship :)

I did my 6 runs with hemp by the way. Absolutely no chance the port would be clean.

but the profit margin is so small for what i can trade that it takes me FOREVER to get any money to play and thats what is getting to me

30 minutes ago, victor said:

The way of making money is just one (or, better, two):

1) grab missions until you have a trade ship and at least 100.000 gold to invest.

2) trade until you can build up a oak forest, iron mine, coal mine and a workshop, then start also crafting and selling cannons

3) buy a bigger trade ship and save some money for trade runs

4) when you need some money go build some cannons and run a trade route.

Any other activity in game gives lower incomes per hour.

Missions start being attractive only at post captain rank and up from there (but you need an expensive ship to do them and therefore you shall find yourself a far and quite area).

Selling crafted ships will not be rewarding until the price of harvesting materials from building will be consistently cut down.

So basically your saying this is a trading sim?

Odd how it's not billed a trading sim, could explain why the games population always declines after a patch. Players buy the game expecting something exciting and skill based, end up with hours of endless sailing for a few key presses to trade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justme said:

So basically your saying this is a trading sim?

Odd how it's not billed a trading sim, could explain why the games population always declines after a patch. Players buy the game expecting something exciting and skill based, end up with hours of endless sailing for a few key presses to trade.

I do not care about definitions and even less I care about what other players expect.

I'm just suggesting to the players the easiest way to make money from the very beginning in order to be able to play effectively at a later stage when they rank up.

You can use the gold to buy bigger trader ships and make even more gold, or you can just use it to keep up your PVP activity (repairs, cannons and replacing lost ships) or you can use gold to harvest resources and buy marks in order to craft (and maybe sell) ships or you can use gold to just buy a shiny top level, super fitted, mission grinding ship.

You can even choose to be a lone wolf privateer or a member of a RvR clan fighting in port battles, but when someone will sink you (since sooner o later this will happen) you will still need gold to recover.

Fact is that in this game - no matter what playstyle you may choose - you need a crapton of gold and I'm just telling you how to make it quicker. You do not like? Do not do it! You can enjoy the game also being broke.

Edited by victor

21 minutes ago, victor said:

I do not care about definitions and even less I care about what other players expect.

I'm just suggesting to the players the easiest way to make money from the very beginning in order to be able to play effectively at a later stage when they rank up.

You can use the gold to buy bigger trader ships and make even more gold, or you can just use it to keep up your PVP activity (repairs, cannons and replacing lost ships) or you can use gold to harvest resources and buy marks in order to craft (and maybe sell) ships or you can use gold to just buy a shiny top level, super fitted, mission grinding ship.

You can even choose to be a lone wolf privateer or a member of a RvR clan fighting in port battles, but when someone will sink you (since sooner o later this will happen) you will still need gold to recover.

Fact is that in this game - no matter what playstyle you may choose - you need a crapton of gold and I'm just telling you how to make it quicker. You do not like? Do not do it! You can enjoy the game also being broke.

You made it very clear that you don't care what the game is supposed to be as long as you can get the devs to change it to what you like. This game was never billed as a trading sim, but that obvious what you want out of it so you don't care if other players are upset when the devs pull a bait and switch.

I get the feeling you would buy a game like nobunganas ambition and complain until the devs changed it sim city. 

But who cares as long your type changes it into a pure trading sim instead of what it says in the games description.

1 hour ago, Justme said:

You made it very clear that you don't care what the game is supposed to be as long as you can get the devs to change it to what you like. This game was never billed as a trading sim, but that obvious what you want out of it so you don't care if other players are upset when the devs pull a bait and switch.

I get the feeling you would buy a game like nobunganas ambition and complain until the devs changed it sim city. 

But who cares as long your type changes it into a pure trading sim instead of what it says in the games description.

You assume too much mate. Chill out and read what people actually writes.

I never wrote that I like the game as it is, but since now the game is this I try helping people working it out.

You seem to seek polemics just because you do not like the game. I try to suggest people how to play effectively.

Edited by victor