Game-Labs Forum

Loosing masts

Thus far I have never lost one of the masts in the naval battles. I presume that it is not implemented yet.

It would be nive with that feature. To be able to shoot down a mast. And that the crew on the other ship then sometimes have to work like hell, using saws and axes, to cut the damaged mast down.

• Like 1

It's already implemented and it looks good. They just made the masts too tough, this build. I'm sure falling masts will be back.

What I would like to see, someday, is fallen masts dragging in the water, causing crazy unplanned turns until they are cut away.

Agreed,  One should have to enter survival mode to remove the dragging rigging, and there should be an increased chance of fire while the mast is aboard due to sails draped over matchtubs, etc.

• Like 1

I was wondering about that too - not seen anyone lose any yet either. As a side note, would also like to see yardarms also be able to be damaged, detached etc due to damage.

Always remember seeing paintings etc with lots of sail/mast/yardarm damage, maybe artistic license but seeing ships sink with all their masts etc intact just doesn't look right somehow...

Marik

Even though losing the entire mast may have not been as common as what it was in the previous builds, losing the tops were a regular occurrence so I should like to see that a tad more. Take the Glorious First of June, out of the British Fleet, Howe sends in a damage report to the Admiralty stating that twenty of his ships had suffered severely in their tops (due to the French practice of firing into the rigging).  Also I would rather when repairing the masts that you set up a jury rig as opposed to what we have now but that is just the historical side of me wanting that and I understand that it would be hard to implement. 

Howe's damage report as well as those of Duncan, St Vincent, Nelson and Collingwood can be found in the book "In the Hour of Victory" by Sam Willis. An interesting read on the different styles of reports of the time. You get to hear of the Officers who they pushed forward, the wounded/fatality lists, damage reports and orders for the fleets.

Are you sure it have not been removed again?

Some days ago I needed up in a battle with 3 small ships(inc me) against a Constitution. So we agreed to test a few things.

We easily got him to about 42% Sails. and then we could not do any more. Firing low, high, from the side or front... it had no effect.

If you repeatedly hit the same are of the sails it won't do any damage or as much. The masts broke much too often in previous builds, but I do feel strongly that there should be some chance that they break. Currently I don't think there is any chance as I haven't seen a mast drop in a month.