Game-Labs Forum

One thing I think is sorely missing from the open world sailing, is the anxiety of encounters.

The moment you can click the tiny sail spotted on the horizon, you imidiately have all the details about who it is, what ship it is including fleet ships, and what nation it belongs to.

I think it would be far more exciting, if you only got partial information based on distance. So at the furthes distance you will get no info (other than "ship/x-ships"), then when a bit of distance is closed you get its rate (5,4,3 etc.), then ship type, and lastly name & nation. (amount of info and distance could be adjusted). This would bring more excitement to the OW sailing, both while hunting and running trade.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

That would be a great system.

How do I know if you have a Brig or a Trader Brig from so far away? Keen eyes? =)

I haven't merely painted gunports on strips of canvas and nailed them along the sides of the ship, I've actually cut gunports in the side and covered them with lids.

Quite why I then open them, letting you see there's no actual guns, I have no idea :wacko:

2 hours ago, dagdriver said:

One thing I think is sorely missing from the open world sailing, is the anxiety of encounters.

The moment you can click the tiny sail spotted on the horizon, you imidiately have all the details about who it is, what ship it is including fleet ships, and what nation it belongs to.

I think it would be far more exciting, if you only got partial information based on distance. So at the furthes distance you will get no info (other than "ship/x-ships"), then when a bit of distance is closed you get its rate (5,4,3 etc.), then ship type, and lastly name & nation. (amount of info and distance could be adjusted). This would bring more excitement to the OW sailing, both while hunting and running trade.

and when finally tagging you, then you can decide the player name and nationality ... :)

I would even take it a step further as to where you would have to spot the other ships flag for IFF purposes, but with their name still displayed. Maybe even give pirates false flags up to a certain distance in OW ( would be a start to give them something special?! ). When they come closer than this distance they automatically hoist the jolly roger. If you know the player ( and many seasoned veterans should be known for their skill ) you obviously won't be fooled by it or recognize a fellow compatriot as you know him or have seen him before.

Probably too hardcore for most players, but i still like the idea of it.

Maybe show what ship the person and his sailing and having the national flag like in the battles. There are a few dozens ships but only 7 flags, so it wouldn't be too much learning, especially for new players. It also requires you're active attention to spot what flag it is and creates tension. 

It was a good idea and discussed many moons ago.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, the speed boost of 20% in the OW made it kind of untenable. You have to react pretty much immediately now to either chase or attempt to flee.  

But yes,I always thought some of these ideas would increase the immersion factor 

I hope that someday there will be a way to identify a ship's nationallity by it's markings.  (static flag or paint).  That way I can turn off the screen text and still be able to spot enemy.

I like dagdriver's idea but agree with Sir Blaine.   The rapid velocity of our little speedboats racing around in OW leaves precious little time to react.

yeah, the speed does cut the time alot, but I still think it would improve the experience, often the distances are great enough that it does take a while to get within tagging range.

Edited by dagdriver
spelling mistake

Early versions of the game showed "Hail" for Hail ship. It would show the info once you pressed it. I'd love to see a feature like that again where you could hail a ship and perhaps they wouldn't respond. Are they enemy? Then you'd sail closer for a look at their flag.  I'd like the OW speed decreased 20%. It seems way too fast to me. There should be more strategy in OW. 

Also more of a "striking colors" angle too. Ships were rarely sank back then. They were simply too valuable. You fought until one side struck their colors. Perhaps you'd lose your ship but retain your "ship knowledge"? 

Just ideas.