Game-Labs Forum

How do you plan to monetize?

How do you plan to monetize?
Is this going to be one of those F2P P2W games with LP potions/ XP blaa blaa, PLEX or Apex…whatever, and an In game shop… Please say so now. Please don’t take it the wrong way I just don’t want to get pulled into another one of “Those” MMO’s. The market is full of that sort of thing.

I see this is posted in the wrong place.

Edited by Primemus
I think it is the wrong section

Where have they said they are working on NA2?

On 7/26/2016 at 3:21 PM, admin said:

NA2 in many years ;)

emphasis added

Anyway, this game isn't free to play, nor is it pay to win, nor is there any plans for it, unless the devs have changed their mind.

• Like 1

So as far as we understand at this point it will be expansion packs and DLC’s? if so fantastic! However, I would think at this point in production the DEV would have discussed it and could clearly say how they plan to proceed.

And just so we are clear I am not trying to get cheeky, they will go where they want.

I just belong to that casual gaming group that has money to spend and plays a lot of these type of games.  I don’t really care for early access or alpha’s in general because I would rather play finished content.  However from time to time I fall into one via steam which loves to push these early Alpha titles.  This one I really like.  However I have been burned before. 

I am not into another p2w multi boxing grind to get around LP restriction and premium multi accounts to seize pvp advantage. Someone in the game chat was already bragging about his multi accounts and how he used them to win a pvp battle.  I can tell you for a fact every title that allows for multi boxing gets a huge bump at launch and then dies out so much so they often need to do server migration and all that sort of crap and there is never anyone around to fight unless they are 20 times more powerful then you. 

This title does have a lot of those mechanics which is why I would want clarity on this issue.

Do not worry this game will never have a play to win feature, the devs stated this many time. IF they would ever do this it would be for cosmetical stuff that doesn't influence the gameplay.

As far as development goes, the devs have changed their tactics as from this year. We got a test server going with what is essentialy a new patch for the game, they are going to use this to put patches trought the test before updating the main servers. As we had some patches before that caused allot of frustration with the players, this should prevent just that.

9 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

I hope they start monetizing.
The argument "let stupid players pay for it" seems weird to me.. at the end of the day game development is always paid for by players - stupid or otherwise.

Ned's point was the suspicion that NA is being used purely as a means to test and refine ideas for the game that will come next... NA2. That NA itself will never actually be 'released'.

It's kind of hard to believe since that would put a big black mark against GL for ever being able to use early access funding for other games in the future.

But on the other hand it makes perfect sense of the continuous reworking of mechanics that really don't *require* it. While other frequently requested features far more important (IMO) are postponed indefinitely.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

Ned's point was the suspicion that NA is being used purely as a means to test and refine ideas for the game that will come next... NA2. That NA itself will never actually be 'released'.

It's kind of hard to believe since that would put a big black mark against GL for ever being able to use early access funding for other games in the future.

But on the other hand it makes perfect sense of the continuous reworking of mechanics that really don't *require* it. While other frequently requested features far more important (IMO) are postponed indefinitely.

Thanks for clarifying it. 

30 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

I personaly think that the devs want to be as historicaly accurate as possible with their game mehanics. The battle mechanic stuff they implement is always backed up by historical whatever writings they can find of various battles. So I would imagine like the whole structure thing they got in the testbed is prety realistic if you think about it. If a ball penetrates it will reduce the structural quality of the ship (split cross members, etc.) and if you do stern or bow rakes, getting multiple balls traveling across the lenght of a ship will make the chances of hitting something vital prety big.

I think we are all expecting a bit too much. All take a good look at Dayz... its in EA for a long long time and they still haven't given up on it. Same goes with Rust etc.

1 hour ago, Angus McGregor said:

Fair enough, but this is what every business is doing, has to do, investment for the future from current cash flow. Even if you hate Overwatch, you paid Blizzard for it by buying WoW.
I know nothing about their business, obviously, but in a way I share some of the worries that NA1 won't be released not because of some insidious scheming but simply due to lack of revenue to continue. My fear is only based on the contrast that they aren't doing what every other game shop is doing, monetizing game content, and I'd rather have them levy more cash from us and continue work on a game that even in it's current alpha build has excellent core gameplay than to fold.

As for the NA2 rumors.. every software development I've seen usually piles up tons of TODO, FIXME, and NEXT_VERSION stuff, it's only healthy that there are boundaries of what makes it into this version, and I'd rather have them picture NA2 in their head than abandon ideas about the game (series maybe?). I don't think NA2 or a single player version is a threat, it's quite the opposite I think.
They have piled up a lot of knowledge, art and technology to build more realistic and fun games seated in the age of sail than everybody else.. why not use this?

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 1

simply due to lack of revenue to continue.

Dev's have said even recently they aren't hurting for money.  Didn't they also say they have sold 120,000 copies of Naval Action?  Also, let's not forget the Ultimate General series.   

5 hours ago, Snoopy said:

They have piled up a lot of knowledge, art and technology to build more realistic and fun games seated in the age of sail than everybody else.. why not use this?

Let's put it this way. If Naval Action fails then even Naval Action 2 won't bring any revenue no matter how good it looks. The most important part in this is how you present yourself, what people think about your Company and can you deliver promised product on time.

Also, little suggestion to Devs on release date. 

1. Black Sails last season running ending this year. Huge fan base to advertise in many don't even know Naval games exist. I did my research. 

2. In Spring last part of Pirates of the Caribbean is coming to theaters. No more Pirate movies. Pirate game fans will look for alternatives. Many will want to play 'Pirates'

3. Only one silly game is in Development - Sea of Thieves. All kids will go there, Mature players still don't have home. 

This is your last year where you can grab nice quantities of customers if you know what I mean. MAke Naval Action their home.

I am good at this trust me. Making the right moves can bring you $$$. Question is what can you offer them and how can you addict them to Naval Action?

Sadly, but this is the last gold year for Pirate themed games. Hollywood won't make anymore Napoleonic war naval movies. Master and Commander 2 was rejected a while ago. Last bits of History from that age are sinking in time. 

Edited by Ned Loe

DELETE!

On 02/02/2017 at 8:16 PM, Ned Loe said:

Let's put it this way. If Naval Action fails then even Naval Action 2 won't bring any revenue no matter how good it looks. The most important part in this is how you present yourself, what people think about your Company and can you deliver promised product on time.

Also, little suggestion to Devs on release date. 

1. Black Sails last season running ending this year. Huge fan base to advertise in many don't even know Naval games exist. I did my research. 

2. In Spring last part of Pirates of the Caribbean is coming to theaters. No more Pirate movies. Pirate game fans will look for alternatives. Many will want to play 'Pirates'

3. Only one silly game is in Development - Sea of Thieves. All kids will go there, Mature players still don't have home. 

This is your last year where you can grab nice quantities of customers if you know what I mean. MAke Naval Action their home.

I am good at this trust me. Making the right moves can bring you $$$. Question is what can you offer them and how can you addict them to Naval Action?

Sadly, but this is the last gold year for Pirate themed games. Hollywood won't make anymore Napoleonic war naval movies. Master and Commander 2 was rejected a while ago. Last bits of History from that age are sinking in time. 

DELETE!

First of all how can there be NA2 there is barely a NA game to begin with.  Also this game shouldn’t fail.  Whether or not it fails will depend on how they handle the PVP action and the Monetization. Any MMO game with LP breeds Multiboxing and bots.  It will be interesting to see how they handle those issues. 

Depending on how they handle the monetization wouldn’t “NA2” become a DLC anyway? Or an Expansion?  Plus a micro transaction shop.  I am positive that they will earn enough.

I would be more interested to learn where they will take the crafting and How much control will guilds have over the ports they control?