Game-Labs Forum

Crafting a new ship no longer instant

Many players here really love the age of sail. To help immerse players in that age my proposal is to make the crafting experience a bit more authentic.

Instead of clicking 'craft' and your ship is instantly built. I propose a building process that includes real time for it to be constructed as well includes a background shipyard view that shows artwork of a ship being built.

For example. You 'craft' a frigate. Once you click the button to craft the ship goes into a period of building that can take a real time day. Lets say the game can offer about three or four screen backgrounds of the progress of a tallship being put together as well as the countdown timer for when it will be completed. So that way you can visualize the building of the boat as well. Part of the immersion of the game.

Lets say you craft a first rate. Those take several days to build after you click the button and you can check the progress via a countdown timer and more background images to view of a ship under construction.

The hope is that this game gives us something to look at while in port other than a boring UI and gray screen. It also adds a new element to crafting brings some realism, that it takes time to build a new tallship.

• Like 10

Thanks, and did i mention that i really hope the Dev's give the 1 dura for all ships a try, test it out!! :)

One ship dura, let us name the ship, maybe in time lets see wear and tear on our ships, I really believe this kind of immersion will draw more players and be enjoyable to most.

• Like 3

This appeals to me in that the current mechanic makes you do nothing (boring) while you bank labor hours. This idea lets you start the ship construction immediately and then be sporadically entertained by checking on its progress. Even if it took longer this way, people would be less likely to be upset.

It also prevents ships from being conjured instantly as if by magic by buying extra labor hours from others.

I remember this from Civilization, where the World Wonders could be built over time and your nation access to manpower, resources and the correct trades. As your towns developed the wonder construction would either slow down or speed up.  You could then go to that city and check the progress of your chosen World Wonder. Upon completion you would then see a historical painting and lovely music as a celetrabtion. 

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/10/26/civilization-6-7-world-wonders-being-built

Civ 6 Wonder being built

Sorry about the ad. 

Edited by Buba Smith
Ad

2 hours ago, Otto Kohl said:

Seriously... what is the purpose of this ? How will it improve gameplay?

Its called Immersion. The current mechanic is Harry freakin Potter. Banking labour hours and then sporadically a Ship appears...how does the current system aid gameplay any more than the proposed suggestion?

Edited by Sir William Hargood

2 hours ago, Rychu Karas said:

great idea, one star for good try...

MOAR 'wait' is what naval ACTION need:' ] indeed

"MOAR Wait" is what you got with the fine wood mechanic...actually fine wood ground ship building to a virtual halt. The Devs were trying to put brakes on ship building it seems..certainly for gold ones...I think this idea in no way adds more wait than what there already is. In fact I would go a step further and add seasoning of standard timbers for gold ships...then we don't have darn fine woods and the Devs manage control of gold ship production. Fine woods just put gold ship production out of reach instead of making them simply take longer.

30 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

My vision of this game is easy access to ships and easy access to modules, what simply make easy access to pvp=ACTION. Is this game about Naval ACTION? or about watching drying paint on walls?.

Agreed easy access to ships = more pvp action.

But what is wrong with a simple production/construction que? Virtually every other game of this type has it to a lesser or greater extent. The original concept of the game was a Game lobby with Arena Battles. The game has since developed into a multi faceted, multi dimensional Open World MMO. Things change...should it go RPG or Simulator? or back to single dimensional arena? In either way the Devs are trying to curb every Tom, Dick, Harry and his second cousin having a dozen gold 1st rates. Control their production...production ques slow down their production. There's our vision and then the Devs vision...in my humble opinion each player should be permitted a max amount of tonnage...spread out ship rates possessed.

19 hours ago, van der Decken said:

I've advocated for this for months, but ppl didn't like the idea, pretty much saying it takes enough time to gather the resources to build. I personally wanted it to take as long as it would in RL but in game time.

Timers = tickers. 

Every ship crafted over time = new timer. Multiply it by 15000 active monthly players and you will have a million of timers. They all tick on a server and consume CPU. It is 100x cheaper to tick 1 item (labor hours) and make ships with a click. You get the same result. 

Compare

• You collect labor hours for 48 hours and then click once
  • Or you click once and wait for 48 hours for santi to be built. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, admin said:

Timers = tickers. 

. Multiply it by 15000 active monthly players and you will have a million of timers.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but at what point do you think this game will reach 15,000 active monthly players? Would tickers be an issue with maybe....200 active crafters?

Ordinarily I'd agree that this isn't a meaningful game change except that with labor hour contracts, it is possible, although not cheap, for one crafter to sit in harbor churning out 1st rates by buying everything off the market. How much that happens I couldn't say, but a timer to complete ship construction would impact how many ships any given pool of crafters can produce in a given time period.