Game-Labs Forum

New wood types

Mahogany gives the following stuff what i can calculate from a crafted basic lynx with crewspace:

Armor thicknes: Unchanged

Structure: 7,4% higher

Speed: -3,5% lower

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/249214229957207083/1EBAF18032A4F5C086A8E6A4649EE1557B5F8BE3/

(Pic of the crafted ship)

which is then the actual difference with live oak?

Edited by victor

Live oak:

Armor thicknes: +7cm

Structure: 10% higher

Speed: -2,5% lower

I have a feeling i might have made a mistake while calculating the % speed change of mahogany

I hope, otherwise Mahogany will be almost useless

Okay i dun goofed, had officer perk on which reduces speed xD

Mahogany stats are

Armor thicknes: +5 cm

Structure: +7,5%

Speed: -1%

(Olav added it to the wiki as well: http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

Seems playable even though live oak still is stronger ^^

Thus said - Lets camp the Muricans to get their ships cause they will be stronger :wub:

Edited by Twig

If anything Mahogany and Cedar are the best wood types now, Teak is still a strong contender but Live oak seems a little redundant, then again it seems only 2 ports produce live oak now so...

I dont really see that in the same way regarding mahogany - Battleships are more value by having thick hard armor over speed. You want to battle and not to chase - Thus may say: + -1.5 Speed is bad yeah but the additional 2,5 % health on a santi are a lot and with the thicker armour, you will loose less crew and have more bounces.

Cedar is best! ^^

I'd just like to tell the developers, this new strategic placement/limitation of resources is AWESOME!  It requires nations to trade with one another, strategically think about the regions they need/want to capture/defend, and adds real importance to just about every region on the map. 

Everyone still wants to know what regions have crafting bonuses, and if we really want lots of player ships in the open world, including traders and convoys and the like, you might want to think about reducing or eliminating the free port transfer.  Or at the very least, eliminate crafting ships in free ports.  As it stands now, even far flung regions can quickly send supplies back to the homeland free port shipyards via transfer without risk of capture and without appearing in the open world.  Yes this will increase some long sails in traders.  But what at first might seem like boredom would actually be excitement if enemy ships can actually hunt player traders, and will make cargo carrying/interception an important part of national strategy.

I'd just like to tell the developers, this new strategic placement/limitation of resources is AWESOME!  It requires nations to trade with one another, strategically think about the regions they need/want to capture/defend, and adds real importance to just about every region on the map. 

Everyone still wants to know what regions have crafting bonuses, and if we really want lots of player ships in the open world, including traders and convoys and the like, you might want to think about reducing or eliminating the free port transfer.  Or at the very least, eliminate crafting ships in free ports.  As it stands now, even far flung regions can quickly send supplies back to the homeland free port shipyards via transfer without risk of capture and without appearing in the open world.  Yes this will increase some long sails in traders.  But what at first might seem like boredom would actually be excitement if enemy ships can actually hunt player traders, and will make cargo carrying/interception an important part of national strategy.

No. No no no no no. Please GOD no. Some of us can barely justify the time it takes to play this game already.

Free towns don't get the regional bonus so any one that makes ships in free towns will find they will start to be sub par from regional built ships lacking the third perk of the ship build.   Remember you still have to move those goods from freetowns to your home port of choise that you are doing your crafting and such out of.   If one was a smart hunter of traders they watch these key ports and hit the traders when they are heading out or leaving the free ports depending of it's one near the production of goods for building or where they might build such ships.   I don't know about you but most of the folks I know get plenty of traders in the OW this way. No need to limit free town deliveries.

If some one knew what I just spent the last 4 hours doing they would of been very happy if they had hit my trader going from a free port to my new port I'll be building ships out of.  That was a lot of runs to get all the goods moved.  Would of made any trader hunter happy if they got just one of those loads.

• Like 1

Well I hate to say this, but I couldn't disagree more with you on this.

I think it is fine the way it is, rare and expensive. 

Build out of Mahogany or Teak or just plain Oak.

Made some sweet Mahogany ships the last few days and even got myself a few Cedar ships too.  I kinda like these new woods to make it a bit more of a change in game play.  We got a lot of guys complaining and I reminded them how many 1st rates they have.  Are they planing to suddenly have all them sink they need the Live Oak right now?   Cause I know for sure they don't use that for there OW PvP ships.