Game-Labs Forum

Edit (or in the worst case remove) free ports near other nations ports

Hey there,

I have been newly sailing in the US Navy after buying the game and have noticed some really annoying stuff with free ports. I have talked with other people, but this is my opinion. So take this as the improvement ideas of a new player. Yes, you can call me whining. Sure. But this is an issue and I have heard many people absolutely agree and I have added their words and opinions in here to so there's more of a general picture.

As you probably know the capital of the US in Charleston. It is very close to a nearby free port called "Sunbury". Now first of all, the US would NEVER allow a random free port to be on their coast. The annoying thing isn't the free port, since it's a good place to trade for newbies, but the teleportation feature especially for pirates and other nations. Basically there can be first-4th rate ships of the line (and lower) just popping outside Sunbury and destructing all shipping on all levels near the coast. This can easily be done by having higher and lower rates to target different ships. This is just horrible, and it is definitely very annoying that there is a constant threat of extreme enemy fleets sailing right outside the newbie zone.

I suggest putting a cooldown on the ability to teleport to a free port or, even better, not being able to dock ANY bigger ships at free ports that are close® to other nations ports. This would allow for the nation to have a defense because if there's a higher rate it's not guaranteed that there are higher rates online for the nation. But with this chance the nation has a generally reasonable way to defend itself. Smaller ships should definitely be allowed because historically speaking that's what pirates and nations did. I'd ask the comments to decide where the line should be drawn. If the freeport is out in the middle of the ocean, sure, great place to stock up and repair. But there shouldn't be a fleet of ships sitting right outside (in this example) the USA's doorstep. This would greatly enhance the actual "territory" and what you, as an enemy, would have to do to actually attack. You would need more planning and thinking since big backup can't easily arrive.

Thanks for reading, 

I'm hoping for constructive comments bellow. Also please remember to look on the other side of the argument too, because if you are a pirate you'd be against this because it means less harassing shipping. But in the end it is annoying players which shouldn't go for any nation.

P.S I decided to write this after talking with my nation about this issue, and references are from other players (credit to them).

Edited by Lz3

i killed u twice today, up in america, im in the pirate BIA Clan , we respect solo players and we dont gank newbs, we always fight outgunned and outnumbered but we still can win this battles thx to our high experience captains.

in the last battle we fight something like 3 v 12 east of ur capital (no near a free town) , but we still managed to kill half of u americans and forced to flee the other half;

u was in a tiny rattlesnake, both time u died from the cannons of my Bellona (T6 vs T3 SHIPS), so dont complain.

an advice: look better at ur allies before join them, but look even better at ur enemies before fight them!

PS: other capitals got free town next to them, just look at our Mortimer Town, la tortue is so closer than sunbury, with the upcoming patch also Port Royale will get a near free town. this towns are extremely important for PvP and also if u cant see its value now, u will in the future as u are on PvP server ;)

Cya in Florida mate

I ve been up there in the past few days.You are asking for freetown removal after you guys used Sunbury to put up gank squadrons to kill us(wich did not happen).You even engaged us in crazy fights like Elite said 12v3,20v6 and still managed to lose.So i guess, few failed ganks=better to remove freetowns from all over the map......-.-

• Like 1

i killed u twice today, up in america, im in the pirate BIA Clan , we respect solo players and we dont gank newbs, we always fight outgunned and outnumbered but we still can win this battles thx to our high experience captains.

in the last battle we fight something like 3 v 12 east of ur capital (no near a free town) , but we still managed to kill half of u americans and forced to flee the other half;

u was in a tiny rattlesnake, both time u died from the cannons of my Bellona (T6 vs T3 SHIPS), so dont complain.

an advice: look better at ur allies before join them, but look even better at ur enemies before fight them!

PS: other capitals got free town next to them, just look at our Mortimer Town, la tortue is so closer than sunbury, with the upcoming patch also Port Royale will get a near free town. this towns are extremely important for PvP and also if u cant see its value now, u will in the future as u are on PvP server ;)

Cya in Florida mate

Hey, thanks for replying. Although I must say your reply does not have real context to this suggestion.

I'll go through this line by line.

1+2 line: Yes, you killed me. This is irrelevant. Ok, you don't gank "newbs", that's good, but you attack traders. And for your last sentence, it is again irrelevant.

3+4 This has nothing to do with the suggestion. An attack force was sent about because people in nation chat were complaining about pirates, and you were blockading trade at Sunbury. Why shouldn't I complain? I don't get it. 

5. Irrelevant, but to answer your advice I only joined the battle for experience with bigger ship battles and what todo.

7+8. I do see freetowns value, I said it in the chat. It is very nice and realistic to have pirates and other roaming the areas attacking trade. But the problem is that bigger ships can be brought in such as higher rates of the line, which is a big problem for all people in that zone. There would never be an enemy massive ship near (in this example) the US coast line. But do acknowledge that I fully respect and endorse people attacking trade in smaller ships.

I ve been up there in the past few days.You are asking for freetown removal after you guys used Sunbury to put up gank squadrons to kill us(wich did not happen).You even engaged us in crazy fights like Elite said 12v3,20v6 and still managed to lose.So i guess, few failed ganks=better to remove freetowns from all over the map......-.-

Thanks for replying, your reply has more context to the suggestion but I don't think you understood the suggestion properly.

Line 1: Yep, you were. And no, I'm not asking for freetown removal. I'd highly be against that. Free towns are, as said above, a very good place to trade and repair aswell as for enemy nations to attack trading. We did put up squadrons to drive you away, yep. And if we killed you or not is irrelevant. By the way, I have been told people have suggested this before. I'm only suggesting this after not being able to conduct trade without being threatened by massive ships for the last few days. 

1+2: We did engage in crazy fights to remove you, but that is irrelevant. Why is it important if we win or not? We drove you away from the coastline, kept you occupied, job done. Trade could be conducted. I have an odd feeling that you're trying to hate on me with this "losing" thing all the time.  The last sentence is the complete opposite of what I said in the post. I really suggest you re-read and edit this sentence. I do NOT under any circumstances want free towns removed.

"better to remove freetowns all over the map" was clearly ironic.I  m not trying to hate on you.i just pointed out that you used the freetown as well as we did and i m sure that if  things went good for you(i mean killin us all the time)we would not be here reading this topic.

"better to remove freetowns all over the map" was clearly ironic.I  m not trying to hate on you.i just pointed out that you used the freetown as well as we did and i m sure that if  things went good for you(i mean killin us all the time)we would not be here reading this topic.

Ok, thanks.  I can assure you though that I only did the battle yesterday for experience. I just hate that I can't conduct any trade without having to wait for hours for pirates to log off that are blockading the coast line in massive ships. I can understand your view

Everyone but the brits (go figure )has a freeport right next to thier capital.

And you propose to take away the ONLY pvp in the game ? You will all get your wish im sure. This game is becoming a pve game with some canned moba style port battles tossed in for " fun".

Ok, thanks. I can assure you though that I only did the battle yesterday for experience. I just hate that I can't conduct any trade without having to wait for hours for pirates to log off that are blockading the coast line in massive ships. I can understand your view

Dont you have anyone else playing in US? Have them do thier jobs and acually playthe game instead of sitting in port while typing on forums.

Sounds like you should blame your mates not the game.

Ok, thanks.  I can assure you though that I only did the battle yesterday for experience. I just hate that I can't conduct any trade without having to wait for hours for pirates to log off that are blockading the coast line in massive ships. I can understand your view

Use a speed fitted trader Lynx, then they won't be able to catch you in their big ships.

• Like 1

I just hate that I can't conduct any trade without having to wait for hours for pirates to log off that are blockading the coast line in massive ships. I can understand your view

Lz, don't be a hater seething in port.  Be nimble and run the blockade like Rhett Butler.

Here's how I sail cargo to minimize my chance of being hit by Opposition Forces ("OpFor").  First, establish Outposts in multiple ports that are not Free Towns and that produce resources you want/need.

1)  I mine Silver, for example, in my OP in Port X, perhaps convert it to Silver Coins using Coal I bought at another port and transported there, then load it into a fast trader (e.g. Traders Lynx) or sloop (Mercury or Rattlesnake).  I ask in Nations Chat and National Teamspeak about what Opposition Forces ("OpFor") are operating on US East Coast.  

2) If "coast clear" I peek out of Port "X", head swivel and up sails 100%.  I sail directly away from the coast UNTIL I AM OUT OF SIGHT OF LAND, head on a swivel and TeamSpeak up and working ("ears on, eyes open"). I then alter course to sail along the coast continously OUT OF SIGHT OF LAND until I reach a point OUT OF SIGHT OF LAND offshore of my destination OP or Charleston.

3) I gauge my "best point of sailing" INTO THE DESTINATION, get to where I can use that and sail as fast as possible directly at the destination port.

4) "Ears On and Eyes Open," I sail toward the port like a bat into hell, using spyglass to watch for OpFor in area of port.  If it is not a Free Town, OpFor warships can't pop in and out, but they can be cruising past or sitting just off the port, sails down (harder to see).  If they surprise you "on the doorstep" you have the Targeted timer period to "Enter Port".  

5)  If targeted too far from the Port Entrance, a Trader Lynx can outsail most any ship in the game, if you sail "close hauled" ... about 20-30 degrees or so off the headwind.  That may be "back to sea." If they chase and start shooting from behind you, you might "jig and jag" ... when you hear the guns, TACK across the headwind ... when the balls arrive at your former location, you'll be elsewhere. Repeat and TACK BACK if necessary until out of range, keeping about 30 degrees off the headwind.  

6) Sell or convert your cargo as planned at Destination.

7) Rinse and Repeat.  Never be poor again.
Edited by HardyKnox
  • Like 1