Game-Labs Forum

Battle Log Off Exploitation (Options to reduce or stop this)

The issue:

A fleet enters a battle with another fleet

Battle ends (Escaping ships or ships that have won the battle can then stay in  the battle management screen (The screen where they can "USE" their med kits) instead of reappearing in the open world, or alternatively they ALT F4 and shut the game down

Side effect:

While the battle has been ongoing, players have organised a fleet to ambush these ships when the reappear back into the O/W

The players who were in battle don't reappear and the players waiting in ambush sit around for 10 minutes (or until they get bored) waiting for these players exploiting this bug to reappear

Very frustrating when this occurs

Reasons for using exploit:

Its midnight, player has been battling for nearly 2 hours and needs to go to sleep-work in morning (Fair point and we should cater for this in the solution

Player does not want to lose his ship knowing full well he has a fight on his hands when he reappears. (he has a friendly player spotting the awaiting ambush fleet, so he knows what is waiting for him and therefore escapes this by logging off)

Solutions:

The proposals I have heard are

a) Limit the time a player can spend in the battle logging screen. (10 mins max)

Time to make a coffee, use the toilet etc

B) if a player logs out while in the battle log screen

1) Have a check, to see if this player has done so previously with X realtime hours (maybe 4, 6, 8 hours perhaps)

• If he has done so previously, then he incurs some form of punishment
  • If he has not do so previously, then he incurs no punishment (For example he doesn't use this as an exploit, he really needs to go do some RL stuff)

2) For either case there needs to be some visual indication that there are no players in the battle log screen, this could be in the form of

• When a player logs out of the battle log screen, a text message is sent to all nearby players informing them of this.
  • or possibly keep the Battle icon seen in the open world in place until all players have fully exited the battle, change the colour to red to indicate battle is closed or finished but there are still players inside the battle and when selecting this 3D icon gives you information on who is still logged into the battle (Player names and factions)

If the player disconnects (Alt F4's)  while in the battle screen, again check if he has done some within X amount of hours previously and then incur some form of punishment, also inform all nearby players he has disconnected

Punishments

Possible punishments that could be given (If the player has previously exploited the game in this way within the allowed time intervals as stated above)

Remove all XP and other benefits gained during the battle

Remove 1 dura from the ships lives and or officer

Catering for folks  with disconnection issues

To try and reduce the number of complaints this could generate by players who just simply have unstable connections or hardware

Allow a time out of say the remaining time left that they would have been granted in the battle log screen (Whatever is remaining of the 10 minutes) before any punishment is placed upon their character, reconnecting places them directly in the o/w

Any other ideas that could be implemented to help reduce the use of this exploit down to something that could be accepted as reasonable ?

• Like 1

Good ideas there. I can understand that you need a break after intense fight, but all this waiting is really annoying, especially of you don't know if the hiding ships will come out or not. Your ideas intuitive and they should really do something about it. :) Thumbs up, mate!

No.

I refuse to be punished to take half hour breaks to stretch my legs and back and go buy an ice cream.

I will also refuse to be punished because I took 120 minutes break to go cook dinner and sit down with the kids having a laugh.

Hell, I will play when I can, in longer or shorter periods.

I exit game in BS like once or twice per week.

• Like 7

No.

I refuse to be punished to take half hour breaks to stretch my legs and back and go buy an ice cream.

I will also refuse to be punished because I took 120 minutes break to go cook dinner and sit down with the kids having a laugh.

Hell, I will play when I can, in longer or shorter periods.

I exit game in BS like once or twice per week.

As this is only to do with the battle screen and has nothing to do with OW play, this simply wont effect you and if you only log out of the battle screen maybe twice a week, you would definitely be outside any limiting time factor to incur any punishment, so again, this will have no effect on how you play the game. This only effects players who continuously use the exploit I explained in my initial post,

So now that hopefully you understand the concept a bit more, do you still have reservations ?

Any mechaninc will affect us all. The computer is a machine without any concerns for human welfare.

And who knows... maybe next week I logout in the BS like 5 times every evening... *shrugs*...

Now !... give a logoff button and i'll give you a 5 minute timeout of BS, deal ? Fair for all.

As admin noted already big discussion and poll on this issue. Just to address your idea specifically. Some good thoughts, but the simplest solution will be best, ie; one without conditions.

The first question is really how much of an exploit is it, or how often is it used as an exploit? Just this morning I logged on before work to sail from OW to a port and got tagged in a 3v1 (2 Mercs, Snake v Snake). They got a great tag and I was lucky to get away, then I logged out in the BS. Exploit? I needed to get to work but even so I was outnumbered so should I be forced to fight after successfully getting away once?   You can change the numbers, how about 10 ships waiting outside including SoL and your squadron is 4 frigates, etc. 

The issue really is that the waiting fleet cannot see who remains and the other side can only see if they have a friend outside. So a simple solution should suffice - give both sides notice even if it is just a timer on the screen and notice of what is waiting on the outside. 5-10 minutes to take action for the ships in screen. Log off or TP to national port w/o cargo for example. Of course one can come out and fight with reasonable odds.

The first question is really how much of an exploit is it, or how often is it used as an exploit? 

From that perspective and experience of me doing PvP patrols around Jamaica, I see this a lot especially from French Nation players

Kudos to the Danes, they hardly every use it

Edited by Terox