Game-Labs Forum

The pirate problem

This game won't work as long as one faction, the pirates has benefits that the other factions don't have and no downside.  Over time, any player who's bored, mad at another player or sees that the easy route is to go pirate ends up in the pirate faction.  There needs to be some serious limits on the pirates.  

Realistically, the pirates should be a minor annoyance, NOT a major faction.  

The pirates should be limited to 4th rate ships and should not be able to even capture ports.  It's just too easy for the dysfunctional to take over.

• Like 2

As a nation player, I want to have an adrenaline kick if  I see pirates coming out of the woodwork, I wanna be all like, "oh *** pirates! theres only one reason theyre here..."

Not "oh, its the pirates. Wonder if they wanna attack me"

As a nation player, I want to have an adrenaline kick if  I see pirates coming out of the woodwork, I wanna be all like, "oh *** pirates! theres only one reason theyre here..."

Not "oh, its the pirates. Wonder if they wanna attack me"

You will never get that feeling since the pirates don't attack the french.

• Like 2

Benefits ? What benefits ?

Spewing out some generalistic "benefits" word without clear description of whatt they are is meaningful and totally childish.

But..

I agree on making Pirate a pirate option as pirates should be.

And....

The same way I would really enjoy the Navy to be changed as well, so ranking is not so linear and so tied to grinding. Ranking by achievements - special PvP and special PvE respectively for each of the servers.

In the same line a clear division between Navy and Merchant captain would be beneficial for all with their specifics.

So we would end with Navy captains, Merchant captains and Pirate captains and to the locker with your complaints.

Once pirates start to be a nuisance, as historically as possible, to all traders and the nation chats go up in flames with traders crying all over I wonder what you come up with.

Limitation on ship size is meaningless. Schooners already hound down any ship and I never saw any National trying hard, at all, to come up with anything that can bring "historical" pirate ships down. Hit and run serve us trade raiders well.

Only yourself to blame.

• Like 3

I think the pirates have such great potential that is not realy being used in this system.

Pirates should have their own game "inside the game", their goal should be to get as rich as they possibly can totaly unrelated to who is on the receiving end of their cannons and swords.

They should be opportunistic barbarians, turning up on the right time at the right place to catch a nationalist at his weakest hour. They should be a verry irritating nuisance, but not a sizeable threat to a whole nation.

Give them special pirate ships, don't realy care if they sail SoL or not, not crafted ones but captured ones sure, I mean would a pirate captain have turned down the opportunity to sail a 1st rate if he could have captured one? Don't think so.

Key should be that it is still fun to play pirate, don't nerf them until you only have the odd guy playing pirate. So they'll be as rare as those sealed bottles. If we should ever have two full PVP euro servers, and we can play different nations on both of them. I would for sure play pirate on one server and keep my British account on the other.

PS: Devs, does this new post about Pirate Mechanics mean the changes are pushed back a month?