Game-Labs Forum

Restrict High rank vs low rank on PvP Server. (seal clubbing)

Restrict High rank vs 1st rank on PvP server.   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do not allow high rank players to attack low rank 'new players'.

• Agree
    • Disagree

aren't they planning to introduce the pacific for pve purposes? I think new players should go there until they feel comfortable. It's part of becoming a good captain to understand that certain ship types are not suited to survive in dangerous waters on their own.. I was two times ganked since January, once in my brig and once with cerberus. Both times I didn't pay any attention at all. In fact, the second time I even ran right into a Spanish screening fleet which was blockading the port I was in.. Sorry, but ganking is not as unfair as some people make it seem in my opinion.. I think it has more to do with sailing tubs for easy NPc money and the inconvenience of hostile players nearby. Again, go west, go pacific.. 

Edit:

What I would like to see are battle instances which are open to everyone without any time or BR restrictions. Instead of a 2 min timer I would rather see people spawning noticeably farther away so that it is possible to spot sails on the horizon. Attackers could spawn west and defenders east, for example. This could potentially turn a gank into a major battle if the circumstances are right what I find way more exciting than boring timers..

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS
  • Like 2

I like the white flag idea within short range of capital, but within the first 2 ranks you usually only loose a basic cutter if you get ganked anyway, so what's the problem. And if players leave after being ganked a couple of times they are too weak for this game anyway.

while i firmly believe there should be "safer zones" near the major powers home ports (around their capital, main nations of the game only) (safer zones can be where there are A LOT of friendly AI fleets you can get help from if attacked). This helps a nations keep some industry and lets newer players get their feet wet without getting ganked all the time.

I do not believe in slapping restrictions on PVPrs outside of the main ports. Naval battles were never fair and while port battles can have a semblance of balance for sake of a good fight, leave open world alone, let it be a wild west. Let players create their own nations too so they can start claiming ports for their own nation not just the main European ones.

well.. this is kinda self explanitory.  i'll just keep my alt at midshipman for as long as i can.  hauling my goods around in my indiamen and no one can attack him....  sounds like a good plan.

and, if i can.  ask for a rank reset if i do rank up.  so i can keep sailing around with being attacked. 

gg

...Let players create their own nations too so they can start claiming ports for their own nation not just the main European ones.

This is an interesting concept.  I might've missed it but I hadn't seen it discussed elsewhere on the forum.  It'd be interesting to discuss how far this concept could go.  The only potential drawback I see is that rogue clans could become a nuisance instead of fitting into the currently planned diplomacy interactivity.  One way to combat that could be to deny them certain privileges that traditional nations would receive.  Then that would be a predetermined choice on their part.  But honestly, it could work?  And make the overall gameplay more interesting.  But let's face it, what is now the USA could've been considered a rogue clan at one point in its history.

Edited by Jean Ribault

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I believe should happen.  Around every national port, there should be a 'national waters' zone where AI ships reinforce a like-national being attacked.  Any port next to another port of the same nation will create a zone along the shore, or a corridor between near ports over water where ships can safely sail and do their business.  

All missions above rank 3 should be outside of this zone, along with all shipwrecks, and events.  

There are some players who come on to relax or just do their little trading and crafting stuff.  They hop on for 15 minutes during lunch or whenever.  Battles take a LONG time, and if you don't want to take the time to fight or run from a battle, then you just don't log on.  Also, the safe zone will be friendly toward newer players.  

There also then becomes a reason to take ports.  Those ports create 'safe zones' for which your nations can move ships and goods.  Only ports near to each other would have such corridors or safe zones, and freeports or other nation's ports block those safe zones from connecting to each other, also making the holding of a chain of ports very important.  

Most MMO's I've played have safe zones like this.  This game does not, and it detracts from play for some people.  Some days guys want to fight, other days they just want to sail around and do trading stuff and the like.  

When trading missions get activated, higher level trading missions could force you to deliver or pick up from ports that take you through no-man's land, to free ports (where you might find ANYONE) and so on.  

So, I did not vote in this pole because the solution is not the best solution.  It is putting a band-aid on a bigger problem to which I have just presented a better solution.  :) 

Here's what I believe should happen. Around every national port, there should be a 'national waters' zone where AI ships reinforce a like-national being attacked. Any port next to another port of the same nation will create a zone along the shore, or a corridor between near ports over water where ships can safely sail and do their business.

All missions above rank 3 should be outside of this zone, along with all shipwrecks, and events.

There are some players who come on to relax or just do their little trading and crafting stuff. They hop on for 15 minutes during lunch or whenever. Battles take a LONG time, and if you don't want to take the time to fight or run from a battle, then you just don't log on. Also, the safe zone will be friendly toward newer players.

There also then becomes a reason to take ports. Those ports create 'safe zones' for which your nations can move ships and goods. Only ports near to each other would have such corridors or safe zones, and freeports or other nation's ports block those safe zones from connecting to each other, also making the holding of a chain of ports very important.

Most MMO's I've played have safe zones like this. This game does not, and it detracts from play for some people. Some days guys want to fight, other days they just want to sail around and do trading stuff and the like.

When trading missions get activated, higher level trading missions could force you to deliver or pick up from ports that take you through no-man's land, to free ports (where you might find ANYONE) and so on.

So, I did not vote in this pole because the solution is not the best solution. It is putting a band-aid on a bigger problem to which I have just presented a better solution. :)

This place has safe zones. Anywhere around the capital is safe and missions areso close to port that its almost impossible for anyone to be attacked.

As soon as you put level caps on attacking " suddenly " out of the blue all trade ships hauling goods will be 1st level and safe from attack.

• Like 1

I think they should just give some sort of penalty for fighting with BR differences. If both players sail the same ship, no matter what level, I don't see why they should prevent that. I also don't realy think a rear admiral will be sailing a small ship just so he can fight low level players. If someone in a trinc starts tagging a privateer or brig or something, they should get a penalty in gold and XP. Unless the total BR in the battle is more or less even. Any trading vessel should be fair game, you know you're running a risk when sailing a trader.

So whenever you are in a situation you need to defend a port or something, you can attack that low level player (but with the gold and XP penalty). This will otherwise be a exploit mechanic, where a midshipman could safely investigate the defence of a port without getting attacked. Or give the flag to him so he can't be attacked reaching a port or something. A low level player might not have the big ship, but he might very well be a good captain and an excellent shot.

I think they should just give some sort of penalty for fighting with BR differences. If both players sail the same ship, no matter what level, I don't see why they should prevent that. I also don't realy think a rear admiral will be sailing a small ship just so he can fight low level players. If someone in a trinc starts tagging a privateer or brig or something, they should get a penalty in gold and XP. Unless the total BR in the battle is more or less even. Any trading vessel should be fair game, you know you're running a risk when sailing a trader.

So whenever you are in a situation you need to defend a port or something, you can attack that low level player (but with the gold and XP penalty). This will otherwise be a exploit mechanic, where a midshipman could safely investigate the defence of a port without getting attacked. Or give the flag to him so he can't be attacked reaching a port or something. A low level player might not have the big ship, but he might very well be a good captain and an excellent shot.

There is a penalty honestly. Its not worth it to attack a 1st lvl in a cutter. What 30xp for 20 miutes wasted and having a revenge fleet waiting ? Not worth it.

Biggest issue with restricted play is all the try hards with thier alts zipping around. Ive been yelled at for attacking near capitals BUT as long as 1st lvl players are somehow in possession of indiaman full of goods i figure they are asking for it.

Its hard to tell who is a new player and who is a try hard gaming the game. Its much more fun to attack all the rear admirals in thier basic cutters trying to avoid a fight lol.

There is a penalty honestly. Its not worth it to attack a 1st lvl in a cutter. What 30xp for 20 miutes wasted and having a revenge fleet waiting ? Not worth it.

Biggest issue with restricted play is all the try hards with thier alts zipping around. Ive been yelled at for attacking near capitals BUT as long as 1st lvl players are somehow in possession of indiaman full of goods i figure they are asking for it.

Its hard to tell who is a new player and who is a try hard gaming the game. Its much more fun to attack all the rear admirals in thier basic cutters trying to avoid a fight lol.

Agreed, there should be no ristriction on who you can attack and who you cant. But they should disencourage ganking in some ways, so we get better fights.

Shouldn't matter if it is right outside a capital or in the middle of an ocean.

Traders are always fair game in my opinion, and guys undercrewing a big ship are realy asking for it.

Besides I myself don't realy know the ranks of the other nations, I need to look them up, especialy the pirate ranks.

The real wasted time is getting chased by 7 reno's when you're sailing a surprise or something, some defensive tagging, some possible escapes, new tags, etc... you're going to escape maybe 1 out of 10 times if everything is in your favour. While it would be fun to fight two reno's in a surprise. If they're only half good at the game, you can take them both out. They should motivate people to do fair fights when it comes to PvP. When defending ports all should be allowed off course.