Game-Labs Forum

Rule on collaborating with the enemy

From this document

Articles of war 1757

http://southseas.nla.gov.au/biogs/P000354b.htm

3. If any officer, mariner, soldier, or other person of the fleet, shall give, hold, or entertain intelligence to or with any enemy or rebel, without leave from the King’s majesty, or the lord high admiral, or the commissioners for executing the office of lord high admiral, commander in chief, or his commanding officer, every such person so offending and being thereof convicted by the sentence of a court-martial, shall be punished with death.

of not acquainting the superior Officer with any Message from an enemy If any Letter or Message from any Enemy or Rebel, be conveyed to any Officer, Mariner, or Soldier, or other in the Fleet, and the said Officer, Mariner, Soldier, or other as aforesaid, shall not, within twelve Hours, having Opportunity so to do, acquaint his superior Officer, or the Officer commanding in Chief, with it; or if any superior Officer being acquainted therewith, shall not in convenient Time reveal the same to the Commander in Chief of the Squadron, every such Person so offending, and being convicted thereof by the Sentence of the Court-martial, shall be punished with Death, or such other Punishment as the Nature and Degree of the Offence shall deserve, and the Court-martial shall impose.

of Spies, and of delivering seducing Letters &c All Spies, and all Persons whatsoever, who shall come or be found, in the Nature of Spies, to bring or deliver any seducing Letters or Messages from any Enemy or Rebel, or endeavour to corrupt any Captain, Officer, Mariner, or other in the Fleet, to betray his Trust, being convicted of any such Offence by the Sentence of the Court-martial, shall be punished with Death, or such other Punishment as the Nature and Degree of the Offence shall deserve, and the Court-martial shall impose.

XVI

of deserting, or inticing others….Every Person in or belonging to the Fleet, who shall desert or intice others so to do, shall suffer Death, or such other Punishment as the Circumstances of the Offence shall deserve, and a Court-martial shall judge fit: And if any Commanding Officer of any of his Majesty’s Ships or Vessels of War shall receive or entertain a Deserter from any other of his Majesty’s Ships or Vessels, after discovering him to be such Deserter, and shall not with all convenient Speed give Notice to the Captain of the Ship or Vessel to which such Deserter belongs; or if the said Ships or Vessels are at any considerable distance from each other, to the Secretary of the Admiralty, or to the Commander in Chief; every Person so offending, and being convicted thereof by the Sentence of the Court-martial, shall be cashiered.

Hereto.

Open admission of being an alt, enticing to join another nation, trolling national chat to disrupt it is from now on prohibited. 

If you are a spy - stay silent. If you admit you are an alt of another nation your alt will be permanently banned from chat.

Report open alts by using the report function. 

• Like 23

There are alot of nationals alts in In pirate too, but it s very easy to recognize them since they are not really smart, 90% are those who always claim in national chat that "pirate should act more like pirate" and in order to do that "pirate need to kill each others" and everytime when we announce something in national chat, just 3 sec later the enemy already know it. But we never really care and never report them, it s easy to counter spies by sending fake informations ( or even real information but pretending to be fake) anyway. :lol: 

• Like 1

Do you realize the shitstorm this can start? I don't mean disrupting national chat because people that do that are just retards that want to see 40€ gone and they deserve it for griefing.

I think you guys (game staff) should stay appart of metagaming, except when it comes to racism, insults, griefing, etc.

You can't put fences on the metagame. You can draw a red line when it comes to behavioral aspects, but that's pretty much all. Because a soon as people starts to realize the possibilities of it and starts taking advantage of the politics instead of this show of chestbeating that we are used to see in NN and such, it might become a pain for you to have to deal with it.

Spying here means paying 40 bucks that i'm not willing to pay, but i have a lot of experience in that field in other games. A good spy will never be outed by talking shit on chat. The good spy will stay silent for weeks, months or even more until they have the chance to set the universe on fire. And when that happens, get ready to get wet because it will break the biggest dam of tears ever while he walks away without watching at the explosion like cool kids do.

People will always whine because someone pissed on their cheerios and they wanted their safe heaven for carebearing. Forums will always have ridiculous suggestions to put fences to PVP and protect them and to make it like a theme park of fun and giggles. This, of course, if you let them.

Edited by Migui
  • Like 1

Conversely, people could just leave the nefarious meta to other games and play what the devs had in mind. I.e- a NAVAL COMBAT game with ships of the age.

Just because it's possible to be a dick doesn't mean you HAVE. To be.

Edited by Vernon Merrill
  • Like 3

Conversely, people could just leave the nefarious meta to other games and play what the devs had in mind. I.e- a NAVAL COMBAT game with ships of the age.

Politics and Metagaming are fundamental to a sandbox and a game of clans/factions. If you ignore it is fine but then you will be at disadvantage.

Diplomacy is part of it and it's done by external means so it's metagaming. Good luck surviving in the long run without a fundamental interest in politics.

You can frown up spying on external entities as much as you want but people will always try to min max and do whatever it benefits them more as long as it is legal.

Spying here means paying 40 bucks that i'm not willing to pay, but i have a lot of experience in that field in other games. A good spy will never be outed by talking shit on chat. The good spy will stay silent for weeks, months or even more until they have the chance to set the universe on fire. And when that happens, get ready to get wet because it will break the biggest dam of tears ever while he walks away without watching at the explosion like cool kids do.

Keep EVE bullshit in EVE.

• Like 3

Do you realize the shitstorm this can start? I don't mean disrupting national chat because people that do that are just retards that want to see 40€ gone and they deserve it for griefing.

I think you guys (game staff) should stay appart of metagaming, except when it comes to racism, insults, griefing, etc.

You can't put fences on the metagame. You can draw a red line when it comes to behavioral aspects, but that's pretty much all. Because a soon as people starts to realize the possibilities of it and starts taking advantage of the politics instead of this show of chestbeating that we are used to see in NN and such, it might become a pain for you to have to deal with it.

People will always whine because someone pissed on their cheerios and they wanted their safe heaven for carebearing. Forums will always have ridiculous suggestions to put fences to PVP and protect them and to make it like a theme park of fun and giggles. This, of course, if you let them.

They're not putting fences on your precious metagame. They're putting fences on chat behaviour. Calm down dear.

Keep EVE bullshit in EVE.

That's cute. Politics are part of this game. Friends, foes, red, green are human relationships and that doesn't belong to any particular game.

If you willingly ignore it, it is a matter of time that it emerges naturally and you get to face it.

Keep trying to point fingers outside but all of this belongs to a sandbox game played by humans that have strategic interests.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a clan you will designate someone to speak on its behalf and chances are it speaks with others.

Politics and metagaming are emergent. Ignore them, but don't tell me how I have to play my game.

• Like 1

And how exactly do you propose to do that?

Every game besides EVE manages it somehow.

Politics and metagaming are emergent. Ignore them, but don't tell me how I have to play my game. 

I was responding to your first post, where you very clearly weren't talking about politics and metagaming. You were talking about de Ruyter turning out to be the Manchurian candidate with a satellite phone.

I was responding to your first post, where you very clearly weren't talking about politics and metagaming. You were talking about de Ruyter turning out to be the Manchurian candidate with a satellite phone.

Spying is part of it as well. But it's extremely naive to think that outing oneself is prohibited.

Griefing should be. But none of this is going to be done by an spy.

If I say that I'm an spy I'm banned? Based on exactly what? This all leads to absurd cherry picking that makes the devs basically cops responsible of a kindergarten.

Mods are supposed to be there to watch out the nation chat which is pretty good. But every now and then there is a new reactive rule to something someone whined about.

Instead of establishing a bigger scheme of rules. Today is an stupid dude spamming nation chat. This creates drama, devs react to drama. Tomorrow is a good spy fail cascading a clan from inside which will of course create much more.

They should decide soon if their sandbox game wants to be an open universe with all it entails or only a boat shooter.

If this is the age of sail game they say well, all of this was pretty common back then.

We may as well reduce it to hypocrisy saying that nothing of this will eventually happen or they might as well talk openly about it and decide.

• Like 1

Every game besides EVE manages it somehow.

This is not unique to Eve. Name other PVP games where there is any reasonable amount of RVR focus where there has been no spying of any sort, whether using alt accounts or otherwise.  I'd be really curious to know what those games are you are referring to as this has been around as long since the early days of MMO.

If this is the age of sail game they say well, all of this was pretty common back then.

How was admitting you are a spy pretty common back then?  It would have gotten you in front of a firing squad or at the end of a rope.  The problem with known alts who troll is that back then they would have been hanged or shot, but there is nothing in place to stop alt trolls in naval action.

Anyway, alts have not been banned.  Spying has not been banned.  Known alts of players of other nations trolling nation chat have been banned.

Hereto.

Open admission of being an alt, enticing to join another nation, trolling national chat to disrupt it is from now on prohibited. 

If you are a spy - stay silent. If you admit you are an alt of another nation your alt will be permanently banned from chat.

Is this specifically directed at National chat.. or does it include one on one private chats also?  

Are they taking this to an absolute level or are their areas that alts can still roam?

The new PvP: accusing any pvp player that you have lost against of having alts!...

Devs, please focus on building the game, rather than creating more artificial/unnecessary/dynamic breaking rules and relating support work.

BTW: Seems we are taking to threatening bans every other statement - threatening to ban players from a game they have paid good money for - is not particularly nice, and will serve to turn new players off from joining.

Edited by TaranisPrime

Hereto.

If you are a spy - stay silent. If you admit you are an alt of another nation your alt will be permanently banned from chat.

Is this specifically directed at National chat.. or does it include one on one private chats also?  

Are they taking this to an absolute level or are their areas that alts can still roam?

If this is a complete and total no matter what kind of ban might as well Have your pet spayed or neutered so it will match your charactor.[/size]

I would suggest it applies to private chat as well since it is logged just the same, which of course adds the possibility of counter-espionage in which a player is tricked into revealing her true allegiance through some private chat enticement.

The rule seems simple: if you are spy or alt setup to abuse mechanics, don't admit it to anyone.

The new PvP: accusing any pvp player that you have lost against of having alts!...

Devs, please focus on building the game, rather than creating more artificial/unnecessary/dynamic breaking rules and relating support work.

BTW: Seems we are taking to threatening bans every other statement - threatening to ban players from a game they have paid good money for - is not particularly nice, and will serve to turn new players off from joining.

As the it should be clear from the tribunal, anything that doesnt bring evidence is dismissed.  Admin said report the player (aka with the report function).  Merely accusing someone isn't enough.  You have to right click their name, and click report.  Unless it is blatant, I assume it gets dismissed.

• Like 2

You can accuse anyone fo anything you want. Since you cannot prove that, no-one will waste time on it.

The rule clearly states - it is reinforced through admission only.

TaranisPrime, please focus on playing the game, rather than creating more artificial/unnecessary/dynamic breaking problems and relating support work.

On one hand you're the first to scream "wasted time!", on the other you do nothing but try to forcefully "break" the rules by imagining incredible scenarios and coming up with pointless and overly complicated solutions. Which wouldn't be that bad, if not for the fact that you're working very hard to misinterpret very obvious rules.

• Like 1

I would suggest it applies to private chat as well since it is logged just the same, which of course adds the possibility of counter-espionage in which a player is tricked into revealing her true allegiance through some private chat enticement.

The rule seems simple: if you are spy or alt setup to abuse mechanics, don't admit it to anyone.

If that is the way it is then that is fine..  I just want it clarified..    

I mean I totally understand banning the alts trolling in National Chat..    but if it's more than that then it's kinda ridiculous in my opinion... and then I will just GIVE them my TS and we can actually talk without this BS hanging overhead.