Game-Labs Forum

So how long until the pirates take over and what will happen to the game when they do?

And yet still on pvp2 the pirates are a small nation that acts kinda like pirates. Sure we do take and lose some ports but the game forces that.

Anyone playing a national who wants to play where pirates are pirates can play in pvp2...problem solved. Something tells me this still wouldn't make people happy.

This game will be forced to add some sort of victory conditions and rewards for periodically reseting the map or like has been said , eventually everyone will be one faction forever.

And yet still on pvp2 the pirates are a small nation that acts kinda like pirates. Sure we do take and lose some ports but the game forces that.

Anyone playing a national who wants to play where pirates are pirates can play in pvp2...problem solved. Something tells me this still wouldn't make people happy.

This game will be forced to add some sort of victory conditions and rewards for periodically reseting the map or like has been said , eventually everyone will be one faction forever.

I admire your clever campaign to try to get people to play on PvP 2. It really is quite clever. However, since admin said in 1-2 months PvP 1,2,3 will be merged together I personally don't find it all that attractive nor do many I'd imagine.

United States even paid tributes to pirates

After finding American commerce in the Mediterranean had almost stopped due to the pirates, the Continental Congress agreed in 1784 to negotiate treaties with the four Barbary States. 

So if historically there were multiple pirate "States", perhaps we should split the pirate clans and form multiple pirate States and create new capitals. Perhaps reduce the number of "real nations" to compensate.

That might split up the action a bit.

Never will convince me periodic map resets are a good thing.

Well then what is your solution to the "everyone joins the winning nation" problem? 

Or put another way

What is your solution to the "everyone flees a loosing nation, and eventually only one nation is not the loser" problem?

The way I see it, there are two options.  Forego the "all players have the exact same tools" sand box mentality and put into play perpetual comeback mechanics to compensate for the slippery slopes, or win conditions and resets.

I would love to hear a viable third model.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Then this game is dead and we should just stop playing now if the same people that have problems with everyone joining the same faction is also against the maps being fixed.

I admire your clever campaign to try to get people to play on PvP 2. It really is quite clever. However, since admin said in 1-2 months PvP 1,2,3 will be merged together I personally don't find it all that attractive nor do many I'd imagine.

Thanks. I gota try ya know. Someone mentioned they may not be merging 2 and 1 but rather 1 and 3 so im not holding my breath plus if its true that the server cant hold over 2000 and is already having long ques to enter then either another pvp server will have to stay open or people will just quit in droves...including myself. Thats the one thing i wont do is waste my limited game time waiting tobplay a alpha.

Us in pvp2 are hoping we can keep the server open since we are acually enjoying it now more than ever.

Then this game is dead and we should just stop playing now if the same people that have problems with everyone joining the same faction is also against the maps being fixed.

If it's done correctly then there will not be a need for map resets.

How many players do you expect to stay around if they have to start over every few weeks/months rebuying outpost, starting over with production buildings, rebuy/rebuild all their ships, etc?

If it's done correctly then there will not be a need for map resets.

How many players do you expect to stay around if they have to start over every few weeks/months rebuying outpost, starting over with production buildings, rebuy/rebuild all their ships, etc?

Ive played a few like that including potbs that peolle did for a long long long time but lets say youre right and the map never resets , well then you are also right when you say everyone is gonna be the same faction so that means you are again right when yiu say this game is dead.

Seems like youre rignt. Congrates.

Why not have a limit to how many people can be pirates?

Well this is only MY opinion but if i was ask to fork over xx amount of dollars for a game and then told i cant play or be the class/race etc that i want to be then thats a game i would pass over 100% of the time. Im sure im nkt the only one.

Ive played a few like that including potbs that peolle did for a long long long time but lets say youre right and the map never resets , well then you are also right when you say everyone is gonna be the same faction so that means you are again right when yiu say this game is dead.

Seems like youre rignt. Congrates.

The difference in your version your forcing pplayers to throw away all their hard work on a regular basis, the other way players can reroll and start over if they want

Besides in your version players would still be playing the same faction even after resets, unless you want to eliminate that aspect of player choice as well.

Hard work? The hard work is "in" the XP. That´s the hard part,

the rest is money and when there are millions, players get bored.

I play for a pirate clan, they are about to switch to British, "sinking" outposts and so on...

only because they are pissed of the pirate nation....

Well then what is your solution to the "everyone joins the winning nation" problem?

Because these mechanics are still WIP and are, at present, unfinished, players are answering this question as follows:

Once a given nation becomes extremely dominant, a certain percent of its playerbase winds up defecting to one or more of the smaller nations, so they can find more and better PVP, have new challenges, conquer (or re-conquer) ports, and participate in the underdog / "Phoenix Rises" comeback story.

This has already happened on PVP1 - a few weeks ago, the USA faction was tremendously dominant, now they are being rolfstomped all the way back to Charleston... in large part, by a bunch of USA defectors who went to Pirates.

If my theory is correct, in a few days / weeks, we'll see a bunch of players from Pirates defect to the USA and other smaller factions so that they can help with the reconquista of that faction's lost territory, avenge real or imagined insults inflicted upon them by self-styled clan or faction leadership, etc. And of course the general idea is to get plenty of PVP.

Obviously this is not any kind of longterm solution, just what I see happening in the real world absent external influences / inducements.

Also, Wilson09's post makes my point nicely:

I play for a pirate clan, they are about to switch to British, "sinking" outposts and so on...

only because they are pissed of the pirate nation....

I rest my case.

Edited by surfimp

Because these mechanics are still WIP and are, at present, unfinished, players are answering this question as follows:

Once a given nation becomes extremely dominant, a certain percent of its playerbase winds up defecting to one or more of the smaller nations, so they can find more and better PVP, have new challenges, conquer (or re-conquer) ports, and participate in the underdog / "Phoenix Rises" comeback story.

This has already happened on PVP1 - a few weeks ago, the USA faction was tremendously dominant, now they are being rolfstomped all the way back to Charleston... in large part, by a bunch of USA defectors who went to Pirates.

If my theory is correct, in a few days / weeks, we'll see a bunch of players from Pirates defect to the USA and other smaller factions so that they can help with the reconquista of that faction's lost territory, avenge real or imagined insults inflicted upon them by self-styled clan or faction leadership, etc. And of course the general idea is to get plenty of PVP.

Obviously this is not any kind of longterm solution, just what I see happening in the real world absent external influences / inducements.

Also, Wilson09's post makes my point nicely:

I rest my case.

Nah. U.S. was never dominant. The Gulf area is an illusion in term of 'power' Since it is so far away from any capital (It's even a pita for the U.S. due to Florida being in the way) it's always soft capped when taken. Noone defends it. Going there to defend it with a teleport takes you away from more important close to hope defense. 

If the Spanish capital was moved to Vera Cruz it would make the gulf a more active (and actually defended) place.

The difference in your version your forcing pplayers to throw away all their hard work on a regular basis, the other way players can reroll and start over if they want

Besides in your version players would still be playing the same faction even after resets, unless you want to eliminate that aspect of player choice as well.

You have clearly never played potbs, tw, ue, or any if a million games with winners and losers but honestly justme, i dont care about your opinion. Since my days of creeping before ea ive never seen the same people including you be anything other than negitive. Even when i just agreed with everything you said you switch gears in order to be jaded. Enjoy your misery lol.

You have clearly never played potbs, tw, ue, or any if a million games with winners and losers but honestly justme, i dont care about your opinion. Since my days of creeping before ea ive never seen the same people including you be anything other than negitive. Even when i just agreed with everything you said you switch gears in order to be jaded. Enjoy your misery lol.

Not negative, just a different view that for some reason you can't tolerate disagreeing with you.

I'd suggest an exponential increase in cost in conquest flags depending on ports held. If every nation has that same exponential increase, it SHOULD dramatically slow down the rate of expansion, and allow smaller nations the opportunity to rapidly expand to "medium" nations.

• Like 1

At first I was just thinking people wanted the pirate faction to change, as it is not historicaly correct that they could cap ports etc. But now that I am a bit more experienced in the game I do agree that the pirate nation has to be transformed. The pirates are just a nation with benefits, they are not the free for all faction they should be. Its just a faction that has some game mechanics implemented, that are great if all players play the game like pirates, but why would the pirates fight eachother if they can fight the Brits together? or the USA together? Most of them don't even bother with the danish. These are all things I notice in PvP1 mind you.

I have heard about some of them realy being pirates, and every now and then I see pirates raiding jamaica, that is great... The way it should be, always there when you realy don't need them.

I am not going in depth, as I don't want to start the so called "Forum PvP", its bad enough they don't fight eachother in real PvP, but if they even engaged in helping other nations to establish a base of attack against another nation. Those are not pirates and therefor should not have the exploitable game mechanics.

I have to admit I don't realy see any good solutions to this problem, as if it is too drastic we might just lose to much pirate players. But the pirate nation will need a bit of rework to not totaly ruin it for everybody else.

It is a hard nut to crack.

My favorite new benefit pirates have is using the ability to attack each other to cut down on sailing time lol.

Pirates failed to get a flag to Somerset in time so by using attacking, joining defense, and surrendering those without available teleports could get back to Kidd island cutting an hour out of their travel time and the others with teleports up captured the ships and send them to ports to trade back.

Wouldn't this be only true against merchants? I don't honestly know but just how often did pirates attack naval vessels - unless maybe that vessel was smaller? I have quite a few naval history books of the period and I don't remember reading about this as being a feature of the period? Not critising your post, but just curious

Historically you are right - but as an in-game compromise I think it would be a good idea. 

My favorite new benefit pirates have is using the ability to attack each other to cut down on sailing time lol.

Pirates failed to get a flag to Somerset in time so by using attacking, joining defense, and surrendering those without available teleports could get back to Kidd island cutting an hour out of their travel time and the others with teleports up captured the ships and send them to ports to trade back.

These are exactly the mechanics that shows that pirates working as a nation have an edge over any other nation. They need to even this out.

• Like 1