Game-Labs Forum

How to fix pirates

Awful suggestion. No one would play Pirates, if all others could expand and Pirates are restricted that way....most armchair-generals play

this game as they dream of world domination...Pirates should be scattered all over the map, but need to be able to expand as well...but

more on a basis of pirate clans/factions and not as a whole nation...

so build a mechanic that gives individual growth however you cannot treat them as a nation as they are by nature not going to be a unified team.   Also pirates should not  be in the same  quantity  as nations..

perhaps allowing a second character that can be a pirate but cant talk to other pirates or something odd like that.

either way try to provide alternate solutions as well as pointing out the flaws please.  i don't play pirate so i can't necessarily talk for their desires.

Pirates should only be able to use free ports and if they want world domination go join a nation, pirating should be hard, not easy. This game is listed as a simulator not an arcade game.

It's not like devs said pirates were supposed to be a harder gameplay choice or anything, oh wait.....

• Like 1

So you have nations and you have pirates in free ports.

All big nations don't feel any limits and i can tell you now pirates would be camped forever in those free towns.

Unless you will give us gentleman's word and pirates will be able to leave and come to these ports without being pulled into battle every time. :)

give them 4 minute invisibility on leaving a port  or something?

I like to see the Brits supporting ideas to change the pyrat faction. Any connection to the map situation on PVP1? LOL

Seriously. I think that pyrate faction needs to be changed and be more competitive/hardocore to play than any other nation. Basicaly, they should be more like small gang-solo OW roamers making out their living from PVP and chasing traders. Pyrats should havet strong PVP focus, much stronger than any other nation and also much better loot drops (materials, upgrades, goods)

I think operation from freeports is possible as long as there are NPCs buying stuff.  I would also like to see possibility to acquire the letter of marque from your original nation which which will allow you to use ports of this nation and trade there.

Of course something like reputation is needed. When you kill the faction ships - you lose reputation towards that faction. When you fight along with nation, the reputation towards it will rise and when it reeches certain level, the letter of marque will be offered. With low reputation you will be also kill on sight for the NPCs belonging to that faction. 

Ability to raid ports is also needed. This should be the way where pirates get most of their supplies. Maybe an ability to  turn a port into neutral one could work too. 

If you want to reduce ability of pirates to craft, then you have to give them some advantages from capturing players ships. For example when a pirate captures players ship, then the ship will come with increased durability etc.. 

There are many suggestions, but I think we will see nothing like this. 

well done on putting up some valid discussion points..

at the moment trading is broken as they are testing the production buildings so very few resources are rare from my understanding.  perhaps some nations are lacking some and this is where freeports would be producing the most trade but i don't think we can get a real handle on trade stuffwith this population level.  maybe if they actually merge the servers again.

Capturing ships is probably not that big a deal however i do think they should have a reason to sail pirate frigates over 3rds and higher because really you are meant to capture ships not destroy or trade.   turning a portinto a freeport is an interesting idea but then it has to have some for of timer on it in my opinion ie 2 days until more troops  arrive or something......interesting ideal

is increased gold and resources for capturing not enough for pirate to want to capture?

good discussion points

why do all the non pirate players want to change pirates ??? maybe you should concentrate on figuring out your own nation

because it is a classification not a nation and you are NO different to being a nation so why exist as one?

we actually want pirates to be something different and interesting and not just what it is.

• Like 1

we actually want pirates to be something different and interesting and not just what it is.

But the devs have said leaving pirates the way they are is what the community wants, even tho they also said they don't care if the game dies,

But the devs have said leaving pirates the way they are is what the community wants, even tho they also said they don't care if the game dies,

I think this is not true. I think the majority of community wants changes to the pirates,  but simply the devs have no time to deal with it right now, because there is too much to do. 

IMO 8 nations is too much for this kind of game. Pirates should be something like unafilliated players and taking like 10% of the total population. 

• Like 1

Wot fer ye who think pyrates shouldn't be a nation… Wot other alternative is there?

As fer ye who think its too easy vein a pyrate, Pagan Pete would point out two things.

ONE. look at PVP-2...

TWO: Ifn ye think the power of the pyrates on PVP-1 came bout easily, ye be wrong. If ye knew the depth of the power struggles we have internally… Wot makes Pyrates on pvp1 so powerful if the Pyrate Coalition! The tireless dedication of these men to not being crushed under the boot of tyranny, and our ability to set aside our differences to fight for a common cause be wot sets us apart!

Never underestimate the power of Common Cause.

^_^

• Like 1

On PvP2 we're seeing some pirates use what's currently in the game to create their own emergent gameplay. They'll set up in a freeport in the middle of national territory, set out in cutters, and then capture ships. It's nothing that nationals couldn't do too, but I think it's a good way to look at how 'rats could "feel" different from nationals. 

If this is true then pirates will never change, Pirates on PVP 1 are the largest nation and pirates on PVP 2 are second or third, and I would bet if they changed it people would leave.

Edited by Lord Roberts

Clearly you have no understanding of the current meta.    Because we had all the ports when the patch for production buildings came through we could build our own production facilities and set up shop.  Crafting hours are what we need the most.   the port ownershipis an EGO thing at the moment and if somethingis too far to be bothered defending we don't bother.   Once you get close enough we will care more.

TFDB.png

Yup! Don't want wonder you but we've built the same stuff! And the same about labour hours. What a surprise! But loosing ports you loose production base and trading routes. It's not that horrible for now... for now. But looks like brits has a lots of enemies and I'd like to see your empire squeeze to zero around Port Royal.

Good luck, sir.

I think this is not true. I think the majority of community wants changes to the pirates,  but simply the devs have no time to deal with it right now, because there is too much to do. 

IMO 8 nations is too much for this kind of game. Pirates should be something like unafilliated players and taking like 10% of the total population. 

Yes, when polled the playerbase definitely wanted change to the pirate mech - in effect wanted them to be more like pirates and not just another nation

Yup! Don't want wonder you but we've built the same stuff! And the same about labour hours. What a surprise! But loosing ports you loose production base and trading routes. It's not that horrible for now... for now. But looks like brits has a lots of enemies and I'd like to see your empire squeeze to zero around Port Royal.

Good luck, sir.

You have it out for the brits, what did they do to you lol

Edited by Lord Roberts

well the community is clearly split about it and honestly if that was the case then why not just remove pirates as a name and just let it make sense.

well the community is clearly split about it and honestly if that was the case then why not just remove pirates as a name and just let it make sense.

Because it would still piss off the labeled pirate player, they want the name but not the challenge associated with what the dev's originally had in mind.

Basically, as playing as a pirate for some time, I believe the problem with pirates is based in our common knowledge

about pirates and the way we assume they should be + the way they are introduced by the game developers.

Their needed to be some "warning" or STORY about pirates before you actually choose to be a pirate.

Not ("it is very hard, Hardcore"). Like "There was a pirate revolution, or pirates took many ports, united and kept

going as a pirate nation, so basically, they are being played as every other nation, despite, there is still the possibility

to attack each other"

So, they really need to come up with a "good story" for any new players logging in.

It certainly helped....

Furthermore, they could .redesign the game in a way, that this "nation forming" could actually be achieved by pirates,

generally speaking, RvR-design, to set goals and targets for every nation to be achieved.

Honestly, this RvR right now will not keep the players long in the game. Repetetive PortBattling will work,

but might not be enough incentive in the long run, as the grind for money + exp + upgrades will come 

to an end eventually.

Lets´see, if they are creative and invent something or maybe they are creative and are just to limited

in studio manpower to achieve more...

Edited by Wilson09

Awful suggestion. No one would play Pirates, if all others could expand and Pirates are restricted that way....most armchair-generals play

this game as they dream of world domination...Pirates should be scattered all over the map, but need to be able to expand as well...but

more on a basis of pirate clans/factions and not as a whole nation...

No, actually, this is the model used for many years on potbs; quite successfully.  I played hardcore pirate there for since 2009; never worried about port battles or conquest just open sea hunting.