Game-Labs Forum

Crazy idea? Remove AI fleets completely?

Obviously you would get a LOT more XP from PvP. What do you guys think? It would make players MUCH more agressive, and PvP would be a constant thing as its would be the only way to rank up. I personally would find this quite fun. I know its a crazy idea, but what do you think?

Edit

Ok a few more points,

* Missions would still be a thing for ranking up

* Maybe keep small AI fleets including traders, upto maybe Cerb in size. This way it allows new players to catch up to the point where they can effectively engage in PvP, as I think the super tanky Cerb that never wants to sink fits this bill well.

So basically you could AI fleet/Do Missions to a point, as a sort of tutorial. After that it would be only missions and PvP.

Edited by The MetaBaron
  • Like 1

I like how you think Meta, but this would make any newcomer to quickly turn away as the learning curve would be VERY steap.

But with other mechanics as wipes and refreshes it would be a thought worth building on. But this game is not advertisest as PVP game. Its advertiest as an MMO so the community is very important!

• Like 1

Heh, the suggestion has been made many times already. 

You got my support. Get rid of the AI! 

Link to one of the many threads in which this topic was already discussed; http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8325-ai-fleets-on-the-pvp-server/

Edit; As to people not being able to lvl up. 

How about taking out AI 4th rates (Constitutions) and larger? 

That way you can level to frigates by fighting AI but to get past that you need PvP.

this would be an option if pvp was easier to achieve currently pvp  rewards are not worth the time and loss one could face... for example  hunting an ai fleet is guaranteed exp and a fight.   PVP  you can find fights but the chances of the enemy either doing these three things  :   1.  the Enemy flees.  2.   The enemy calls in reinforcements.   3. you fight and you lose.    are more likely. 

At this stage, absolutely not. There is nothing else that offers compelling situations for what is already a substantial and boring grind. Furthermore, as his Lordship alluded to, it encourages group play. Hunting the fleets, communicating with your squadron, and the invaluable experience of learning the complexities of large fleet actions are all so much more fun than the current mission structure. 

• Like 2

Not really sure how this would be positive. With AI ships, players at least have a choice (aka variation) . PVP is around every corner if that's what you want to do. You can just chose to ignore the AI ships and focus on PVP.

I do a fair bit of PVP with my clannies, but we also quite like to chill out and do group missions from time to time. Variety is the spice of life matey.

• Like 3

Very very bad idea. How about remove the stupid missins which basicly reward pve amd grinding solo in a pvp server.

The missions are so far the only serious flaw ive found in this game in the pvp server so far. Yes there are minor things and the game isnt finished but the missions cause more player friction than anything.

They could add some version of sea trails for ship learning that doesn't give alot of xp, and they could increase xp for small battles + open world pvp.

Adding more option for pvp would be nice but the down side of pvp right now is every flees from a fight if they feel its not in their favor because the loss of a ship isnt worth it if you are out number 10 to one.

This game is not "World of sailships" .... (although im quite sure it can be profitable making a parallel version or in-built "arena" using the tactical play...but that´s another history...)   ,  

Open world is designed with a mmo mentality , there are lots of PvP server players (...or i expect so cause i am one of them :rolleyes: ) who plays in a pvp server  for the risk and the posibility of compete against real opponents, but does NOT want constant pvp matches (as it would be a "world of sailships" approach).

• Like 1

PVP relies on the players.  You can't force PVE players to PVP.  It's up to you.  You attack PVE players they either defend or run away.  Keep attacking same faction it would cause a bounty on you that's fun PVP.  I rather have it defend on players than being force to PVP.  Like WoW.  I see people would just queue up and say "Hurry up and lose.  I want my honor points now"  That's worst experience in PVP to have people like that.